Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
When you're tacking "A Star Wars Story" after everything the syllable count it already gonna be up there. Before you know it you're veering off into The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain territory.

I don't know, "Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" worked out pretty well

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The lack of Solo promotion is raising a few eyebrows but there is a new leak. It's not an "official image" according to Disney/Lucasfilm but it is made by one of their licensees, so it's probably using official images they already have access to. I'll spoiler it in case some actually want to avoid any unofficial stuff.

g4uahr5tzh601.jpg

1) Ehrenreich doesn't look like a young Ford (no surprise there) but there is the faintest Han vibe to his look, as much as a partial still image can convey I guess.

2) Not digging the side-parted 'fro on Lando.

3) The Flacon is different. Elongated nose with no gap between the pincers, retracted dish. I guess they're gonna be exploring the mythology of the YT freighters being so popular with smugglers because they were so easily modified.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Disney is a lot of things, but being a heartless machine that generates money is at the core of their business. Even they have to realize how fucking bad the reaction to their latest movie was from the fans. And when you make a double digit billion dollar investment in something, reactions that bad are not good for the bottom line.

If solo bombs on top of things, you're going to see that machine start up its ovens. No amount of diversity will protect people from the need to pad disney's bottom line.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Lando looks like he was kicked out of the Black Eyed Peas so he became a smuggler.

• 10Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 10 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Disney is a lot of things, but being a heartless machine that generates money is at the core of their business. Even they have to realize how fucking bad the reaction to their latest movie was from the fans. And when you make a double digit billion dollar investment in something, reactions that bad are not good for the bottom line.

If solo bombs on top of things, you're going to see that machine start up its ovens. No amount of diversity will protect people from the need to pad disney's bottom line.
Disney has a diversity council that approves shit. SW is fucking dead.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Barf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Disney has a diversity council that approves shit. SW is fucking dead.

Cant wait for Transexual Adventures of Admiral Ackbar in the Outer Rim. A Star Wars prequel that follows Ackbar's younger days before he enlists in the Navy after the Republic drops the Transgender ban. Think of live action Futurama Zoidberg spinoff.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Cant wait for Transexual Adventures of Admiral Ackbar in the Outer Rim. A Star Wars prequel that follows Ackbar's younger days before he enlists in the Navy after the Republic drops the Transgender ban. Think of live action Futurama Zoidberg spinoff.

Everyone knows hir back story began when The Empire polluted the Mon Calamari home world and

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This movie is shaping up to be trainwreck of epic proportions.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
not sure how you can say that when we haven't even seen a whiff of a trailer. Im all for shitting on Disney but jesus at least have something to shit on first.

Royal

I really don't have much in the way of a list of hope-to-see's for this one. I'm sure we'll get various red letter day events from Han's past like winning the Flacon, meeting Chewie, etc. Those are the sorts of things I'd rather just know that they happened without seeing them laid out as part of a story. I tend to like the little things. I'd love to see Han and Lando walk into a bar and hear Max and the boys laying down some funky beats reminiscent of the sail barge music from RotJ.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I really don't have much in the way of a list of hope-to-see's for this one. I'm sure we'll get various red letter day events from Han's past like winning the Flacon, meeting Chewie, etc. Those are the sorts of things I'd rather just know that they happened without seeing them laid out as part of a story. I tend to like the little things. I'd love to see Han and Lando walk into a bar and hear Max and the boys laying down some funky beats reminiscent of the sail barge music from RotJ.

God, I miss the old school music before Lucas fucked it all up with his Special-Ed Editions.

Slowly coming to the realization that the OT being fantastic is basically a perfect storm situation like EQ in 99 and WoW in 04. All else since is trash and will always be trash.

Feige and his MCU seem to be the only thing that can seem to keep its legs for a prolonged period. Although I have strong suspicions that it will crumble after Infinity War 2, unless they pull off a fantastic pivot to Doom or Galactus or something, without falling back on the diversity crew if/when the vets call it quits. And that's not even an exact analogue, new SW stuff didn't come out for two decades, ignoring the EU books, which as most agree are largely trash. I'd up my strong suspicion to a sure bet if Feige/MCU had to wait 10 years before starting Phase 4.

• 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Exec1: Guys, testing says that everyone hates origin stories. It's like the difference between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
Exec2: Hey, that gives me an idea! Let's do a Han Solo origin story!
Exec3: If it's a hit, we could do more movies with the character!
Exec1: You mean like what Han gets up to after we introduce the character? So.... the Star Wars trilogy? /facepalm

I haven't seen an idea this bad since New Coke.

• 1Worf

Royal

This one is actually one of George's ideas, including having Kasdan write it. That might be a cautionary note unto itself.

Kayak

Trakanon Raider
Slowly coming to the realization that the OT being fantastic is basically a perfect storm situation like EQ in 99 and WoW in 04. All else since is trash and will always be trash.

He speaks the truth. How many of us lingered with P99 and WoW classic emulators because no other mmorpg held our attention?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
He speaks the truth. How many of us lingered with P99 and WoW classic emulators because no other mmorpg held our attention?
You unwittingly made a good point here. The OT, like EQ99 and original WoW, were peoples first experiences to new worlds and as such, any subsequent additions failed to hold up in their minds because they couldn't recreate the experience of being immersed in a whole new world all over again.

Rose colored glasses, dear nostalgia, etc.

• 1Solidarity

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You unwittingly made a good point here. The OT, like EQ99 and original WoW, were peoples first experiences to new worlds and as such, any subsequent additions failed to hold up in their minds because they couldn't recreate the experience of being immersed in a whole new world all over again.

Rose colored glasses, dear nostalgia, etc.

How exactly is that unwitting? Most everything is relative, if those things were so fantastic for people, subsequent attempts at the same thing can/will subjectively be considered quite poor relatively.

Additionally, in the case of SW specifically, the OT is actually better along most agreed-upon "objective" metrics. Hence why someone like me, who wasn't alive until '80, was able to see them in my childhood and they held up superbly despite being upwards of 10+ years old, and I can watch any of them today and be like "wow this is better than anything else that's come out with the SW name!"

Seems witting.