Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This one is actually one of George's ideas, including having Kasdan write it. That might be a cautionary note unto itself.

Shows how seriously he takes his own ideas as he later laughed at the idea of a Han Solo movie.

I see you speak of Max Rebo-- then you must be a Lucas guy. Why? Because we know from the "Making of" that George Lucas had always considered delivering fanfare and made calculated efforts to include it. The Special Editions were essentially just fanfare that he truly thought people would enjoy. But more importantly, we have a prime example in the Yoda fight sequence. People wanted to see Yoda break ass, he broke ass. If people want to see Max Rebo hit licks in Solo, he's gonna hit licks in George Lucas's Solo.

I often wonder what fanfare JJ or Smallmansyndrome Johnson has given us?

Maybe Ron Howard is cooking something formulaic that we will enjoy. I mean its all but 100% confirmed Vaderfication happened, albeit he is most likely not a part of the plot. These are the bones that the NT have not given us.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
while i agree with your overall point, i would like to hear what these objective metrics are.

Note I used the term "agreed-upon 'objective' metrics." The quotes are key. Almost nothing is objective when we're talking about any form of art, but there's a set of metrics that most people critique. In the case of these movies, simply start with the basics like overall story construction/congruity, character development, dialogue, pacing, music appropriateness and gravity/quality/whatever, etc. The OT does this stuff all quite well, and most everything else in the SW universe blows ass at a lot of it.

The overall consensus on this board tends to be the new stuff (especially TLJ) is trashy, and the prequels are atrocious. I think most of us use metrics like the above to come to this decision.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
overall story construction/congruity, character development

idk man, Lucas didn't decide until Empire that Vader was Luke's father (the original draft of Empire even has a scene where the ghost of Luke's father comes to him on Dagobah to warn him about Vader), and didn't decide Leia was Luke's sister until Jedi (the original draft of Empire has that^ ghost name his sister as "Nellith" and even had a second Luke-Leia kiss scene in it).

i love the Star Wars movies, but to think that they were ever some well-laid/thought-out story structures is a serious case of blinders/rose-colored glasses. mainly perpetuated by the myth we've all heard since we were young that George Lucas had the stories for all nine episodes planned out from day one. he didn't, it was just a useful lie for him to tell people to build up the mythos.

i know this is an unpopular opinion on this board, and i fully expect to get a lot of Picards for this post. but things like the hastily shoehorned retcons discussed in my first paragraph are unobjective facts.

• 4Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
idk man, Lucas didn't decide until Empire that Vader was Luke's father (the original draft of Empire even has a scene where the ghost of Luke's father comes to him on Dagobah to warn him about Vader), and didn't decide Leia was Luke's sister until Jedi (the original draft of Empire has that^ ghost name his sister as "Nellith" and even had a second Luke-Leia kiss scene in it).

i love the Star Wars movies, but to think that they were ever some well-laid/thought-out story structures is a serious case of blinders/rose-colored glasses. mainly perpetuated by the myth we've all heard since we were young that George Lucas had the stories for all nine episodes planned out from day one. he didn't, it was just a useful lie for him to tell people to build up the mythos.

i know this is an unpopular opinion on this board, and i fully expect to get a lot of Picards for this post. but things like the hastily shoehorned retcons discussed in my first paragraph are unobjective facts.

Dude, did you read the rest of the post? This is why I suggest it's a perfect storm situation like EQ/WoW. If Marcia, Kasdan, et. al. hadn't been around, and things hadn't happened pretty much exactly how they had, we'd have had forgettable turds and there would be no Star Wars universe of content today.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Dude, did you read the rest of the post? This is why I suggest it's a perfect storm situation like EQ/WoW. If Marcia, Kasdan, et. al. hadn't been around, and things hadn't happened pretty much exactly how they had, we'd have had forgettable turds and there would be no Star Wars universe of content today.

i did read the whole post, and agree that it was a perfect storm scenario. am i not allowed to respond to any other part of the post, tho? you claimed that the original trilogy had good "overall story construction/congruity, character development." just gave some examples of how that's demonstrably false.

BTW, in preparing for the inevitable backlash my post will receive, i found something i wasn't aware of -- a letter George Lucas wrote to the creators of LOST, here's an excerpt:

Congratulations on pulling off an amazing show. Don’t tell anyone … but when ‘Star Wars’ first came out, I didn’t know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you’ve planned the whole thing out in advance.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The overall consensus on this board tends to be the new stuff (especially TLJ) is trashy, and the prequels are atrocious. I think most of us use metrics like the above to come to this decision.
This board is made up of geezers who believe Donald Trump is some sort of demi-god. The idea that you'd try to use the opinions of that very specific demographic as "objective" proof of anything speaks volumes about your intelligence.

• 5Worf
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This board is made up of geezers who believe Donald Trump is some sort of demi-god. The idea that you'd try to use the opinions of that very specific demographic as "objective" proof of anything speaks volumes about your intelligence.

Is it ok if I worship Macho Man Randy Savage as a demi-god??

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Haha faggots. OT Star Wars can be good accidentally and still be "objectively" good, same as our God-Emperor Trump.

Faggots.

• 7Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Edited because I don't want a ree but the gist is that the guy above me is the real faggot

Also this film is garbage, it does not need to be seen to know that it was an abortion from inception and will further serve to tarnish the legacy of the OG cast, because why stop at ruining shit with Luke and Vader

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Shows how seriously he takes his own ideas as he later laughed at the idea of a Han Solo movie.

Lucas is a consummate revisionist, down to the very marrow of his being. He's been one for so long now it's not hard to imagine the habit bleeding out beyond his movie making. What he was laughing at was probably more the notion of someone besides himself making a Han Solo movie. That's the way his ego seems to work these days at least. It's like when you take what he's said about Disney/LFL throwing all of his story ideas for the sequels in the trash, when they've actually used some of his individual concepts. In George's mind if you don't follow his plan to the letter then you've totally ignored him. It's all or nothing. It's an indicator of him not being a particularly good collaborator anymore. As such the idea of someone else doing a movie centered around one of his iconic characters without his direct oversight probably seems like a joke.

I see you speak of Max Rebo-- then you must be a Lucas guy. Why? Because we know from the "Making of" that George Lucas had always considered delivering fanfare and made calculated efforts to include it. The Special Editions were essentially just fanfare that he truly thought people would enjoy. But more importantly, we have a prime example in the Yoda fight sequence. People wanted to see Yoda break ass, he broke ass. If people want to see Max Rebo hit licks in Solo, he's gonna hit licks in George Lucas's Solo.

Wouldn't that make me more of a John Williams guy? He composed the original Max Rebo music. I would just find it a nice throwback to hear it playing in a setting like that without having to see the band there playing it "live". They were supposed to be a famous band that Jabba had put on retainer. It would help prop up that part of the lore. And I just always liked that particular music.

I'm a fairly routine critic of Lucas though I look at him as a mixed bag. I appreciate they things I think he does well but that doesn't get in the way of me criticizing him when it's warranted.

• 1Like

Royal

Anything specific? Genuinely curious

Central protagonist, in the same sense that Luke was in the OT, was a girl who would go on to become a jedi. Her name was originally Kira and it was still that in some of the early scripts. They eventually changed it to Rey though, as a nod to it, it will be Emilia Clarke's character's name in Solo (with the spelling changed to Qi'ra).
Luke had entered a crisis of confidence and gone off in self-imposed exile to the first jedi temple. The girl would go to him to seek training and get him out of his funk, so to speak.
One of the children of the original big three would turn to the dark side and become a jedi killer.

Those are the things that have come out so far. They were all supposed to happen in Lucas's first installment of the sequel trilogy. They added a lot of build up which ended up being most of TFA and a lot of his stuff was pushed off until 8. I suspect more of his ideas will come to light now that the movie is out though we'll probably have to wait for the whole trilogy to be done before we know everything of his they ended up keeping.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Central protagonist, in the same sense that Luke was in the OT, was a girl who would go on to become a jedi. Her name was originally Kira and it was still that in some of the early scripts. They eventually changed it to Rey though, as a nod to it, it will be Emilia Clarke's character's name in Solo (with the spelling changed to Qi'ra).
Luke had entered a crisis of confidence and gone off in self-imposed exile to the first jedi temple. The girl would go to him to seek training and get him out of his funk, so to speak.
One of the children of the original big three would turn to the dark side and become a jedi killer.

Those are the things that have come out so far. They were all supposed to happen in Lucas's first installment of the sequel trilogy. The added a lot of build up which ended up being most of TFA and a lot of his stuff was pushed off until 8. I suspect more of his ideas will come to light now that the movie is out though we'll probably have to wait for the whole trilogy to be done before we know everything of his they ended up keeping.

Where these in the outline he had around the time of the OT?

Also, I had no idea Emilia Clarke was in the Solo movie. She's a fucking terrible actor

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Royal

Where these in the outline he had around the time of the OT?

Also, I had no idea Emilia Clarke was in the Solo movie. She's a fucking terrible actor

No, these were a story treatment and outlines he started working on just before he decided to sell Lucasfilm. They weren't heavily fleshed out at all apparently. They were supposed to serve as a starting point for someone else to write a screenplay from.

And yeah, EC isn't a great catch for the cast imo.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
No, these were a story treatment and outlines he started working on just before he decided to sell Lucasfilm. They weren't heavily fleshed out at all apparently. They were supposed to serve as a starting point for someone else to write a screenplay from.

And yeah, EC isn't a great catch for the cast imo.
Based on the reactions of Lucas and Hamill towards the Disney bullshit, we can infer that the Disney stories were, at the very least, large departures from what Lucas had planned. Having a female protagonist is hardly leveraging Lucas' original story.

“What I wish is that they had been more accepting of his guidance and advice. Because he had an outline for ‘7,’ ‘8,’ and ‘9’. And it is vastly different to what they have done.” - Mark Hamill

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't get why people bag on Emilia Clarke so hard. She has done fine in Game of Thrones considering how inconsistent and generally mediocre the writing has been in that show, especially considering that the Danaerys sections of the books are notably awful as well. I mean shit go read some of Tywin's dialogue, it's absolutely cringeworthy at times, but one only has to watch Last Action Hero to realize how incredible Charles Dance is at selling terrible writing. Not being as good as Charles Dance doesn't make you a bad actor. As for Genisys, nobody could have saved that fucking trainwreck. She was excellent in Futurama.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I don't get why people bag on Emilia Clarke so hard. She has done fine in Game of Thrones considering how inconsistent and generally mediocre the writing has been in that show, especially considering that the Danaerys sections of the books are notably awful as well. I mean shit go read some of Tywin's dialogue, it's absolutely cringeworthy at times, but one only has to watch Last Action Hero to realize how incredible Charles Dance is at selling terrible writing. Not being as good as Charles Dance doesn't make you a bad actor. As for Genisys, nobody could have saved that fucking trainwreck. She was excellent in Futurama.
Do we have any evidence of her doing good acting outside of an animated cartoon?

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen

She's fine in GOT because the style is stilted and almost old-school theatrical. Just watch her deliver her first lines of dialogue in Terminator to see her acting "chops". She's objectively terrible

• 2Like