Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That was one of the rumors that got floated out there after L&M were fired. Based on what we've seen of him in the trailer it's entirely believable. It also makes what the Hyper RPG guy said about hearing he's the weak part of the movie on point as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
To no one’s surprise I’m sure, I’m way more hyped after the trailer this morning. Yeah, it’s gonna be an adjustment with a new guy playing Han, but this looks really fun. Donald Glover looks perfect as Lando.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
That looks like complete dogshit. I'm horrified they think that guy pulls off Han Solo well enough to fucking head a movie. RIP Disney Wars.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Like anything related to SW nowadays....looks like shit

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They should have put this out weeks ago to let him sink in as the "new Han" with him feeling so different in the role from Ford. Another strike in the mishandling column for Lucasfilm there. Though it may not make much difference in the long run. His performance seemed kinda flat.

Flat is a good way to put it. Clarke is a flat actress as well. Hopefully the move contains a lot of focus on Donald Glover and enough Woody charisma to make it passable.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
omfg that dude is horrible as young Han Solo

i defended TLJ but idk if i anticipate defending this.

• 1Like

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Most of it looks fun, but yeah, guy is no Han Solo. Should've made him something like Dash Rendar or new kinda-Solo Smuggler-guy having his story criss-cross Nu-Star-Wars lore. TFA send-off was sufficient. Should've left it there.

• 1Solidarity

Royal

Flat is a good way to put it. Clarke is a flat actress as well. Hopefully the move contains a lot of focus on Donald Glover and enough Woody charisma to make it passable.

Yeah Woody and DG are the parts I can look forward to. I also like the visual tone. You can tell the DP is the same guy who did Arrival. Lot's of greys, whites, and browns ... mist and smoke. That lends itself to a "lived in world" that was Lucas's signature but at the same time should make this one distinctive in that vein. I don't know how well that is going to sync up with the tone of the story though. They seem to be setting this up as a heist movie and you would think one of those involving Han and Lando would be more of a fun affair.

As for Clarke what little we see of her seems better than what she brings in GoT (and admittedly I haven't seen her outside of that show) but it's early yet.

• 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Most of it looks fun, but yeah, guy is no Han Solo. Should've made him something like Dash Rendar or new kinda-Solo Smuggler-guy having his story criss-cross Nu-Star-Wars lore. TFA send-off was sufficient. Should've left it there.

Disney's Lucas FIlm insiders from the writing room have admitted they hate everything about Dash Rendar-- taking issue with his masculinity, and they believe he is a copy of Han Solo (which he is not-- as you implied, Rendar is the unintentionally funny-but-not-really, I-get-it-my-way-because-I'm-violent version of Han Solo).

A soyboy voice and zero-gravity environment physique isn't going to carry a Rendar rendition of Solo. L&M had it right by implying the movie was shot in the foot before principle photography even began. The irony of the Dash Rendar hate is that this actor is doing a hatchet-job rendition of Dash Rendar just the same without the committee's stamp of approval, sans the muscle, however the camera effect seems to make him appear quite brutish in that lady's face, so yeah. Irony. He couldn't pull off cocky comedy according to the leaks, so enter hatchet-Rendar with soy additives.

Last edited:

Royal

This isn't a Dash Rendar movie because Lawrence Kasdan didn't want to write a Dash Rendar screenplay. That's the only reason this got made. He always wanted to do a Solo movie.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
What the fuck is a Dash Rendar.

Dash Rendar is/was a not-Han-Solo character first created for Shadows of the Empire, which was set between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and thus Han Solo was frozen in carbonite, yet they still wanted to have a swash-buckling smuggler with a super-fast, crappy-looking donut-shaped ship, a feud with Jabba and Boba Fett and coincidentally an old friend of Chewie to hang out with Luke and Leia.

Later EU works may have tried to differentiate the character somewhat, but he was very explicitly created as a Han Solo archetype-clone.

Last edited:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Don't forget that his name was an intentional nod to Flash Gordon, a property that Lucas was aching to make a film using but was unable to secure the rights and hence made his own 'serial' saga

• 1Picard

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That looks like a huge fucking pile of shit.

It sounds fucking amazing though. Did they finally dump that old washed up hack williams.

• 2Picard
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Royal

He's only going to score Han's theme.

That music in the trailer may only be for the trailer though.