Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I watched this and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom this weekend. This was better, but I wouldn't rush out to tell anyone else to watch it either.

Kind of highlighted just how bad an actress Emilia Clarke really is though. And 10 years ago I might have laughed at the chick droid. Not today, not today. Too much SJW bullshit in my head to even try to figure out if it was funny or trying to force an agenda on me. Speaking of her:

I guess it wasn't as great a relationship as she thought if Lando just dumped her into the Falcon and forgot about her. With how broken up he was when she got shot, even though we all know droids can be salvaged and repaired as long as whatever important shit is still intact (which it must have been if she uploaded into the ship), you'd think she meant more than that to him. Oh well, now we have a droid uploaded into a ship that never showed itself in all the other movies the Millennium Falcon was in! No continuity issues there!

Man, even though this movie wasn't horrible, I just don't know if I have it in me anymore to even bother watching another SW movie. And I wrote my fucking college entrance essays on how much I wanted to be an aeronautical engineer ever since I saw Star Wars as a little kid. Fuck me.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was a lot better than The Last Jedi. It still was fairly bland but at least the story was descent. It is odd how the side stories for me are better told then the main stories. I am still not going to pay money to watch number 9. After the disaster that was 8, I will stick with the Marvel Universe.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I dunno, I watched it this weekend. It's certainly nowhere near as bad as TLJ, but it's still aggressively mediocre, but hey, I was expecting a total shit show and this was decent. I feel like it started out better than it ended though. Han meeting Chewie was fun but the twist was boring obvious shit and the last half of the movie I was just bored.

They just need to move on from these characters and/or leave them to other mediums.

gak

<Gold Donor>
They just need to move on from these characters

j.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If all this movie accomplished is putting down Emelia Clarkes over rated career, it will be worth the mediocrity. Eliminating the Kathleen Kennedy Klan would make this the most important movie since Ep3 backlash made George stop fucking things up.

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Finally watched this. "Wasn't exactly great, wasn't exactly horrible." Yeah, that perfectly sums it up. And it was dark as balls. Kept wondering if my monitor was turned down low, but the bright back lighting from my screen said otherwise. I had to turn off all lights in order to be able to see anything. Mildly distracting. Social Justice bot named "L3-37", fucking "leet", really? Kind of predictable she'd get blown in half. That whole subplot was 1000x less annoying than Canto Bight, and mostly "ok, this is happening, whatever." Ending was kind of a train wreck. Emilia Clarke is a shitty actor. When you're more dull than the guy playing Solo, just, ouch. If she wasn't so hot af, she'd likely not get anymore work after this, and then killed off in GOT. Meh. Likely won't watch it again.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I also just watched it on a plane.

Didn't realize it was a Ron Howard film until the end.

Entertaining. Much MUCH better than TLJ, but that is setting a low-bar.

It was not as dark as Rogue One but it was too lighthearted. There was no need to spend so much movie real-estate covering fan-boy trivia from the Lucas films. In fact, there was a tremendous amount of "fill-in" that could have been done. We KNOW Han, Chewy and Landau are scalawags. But instead of crafting them as self-serving loners who come together to manipulate their own interests, they are portrayed as "buddies." Nauseating. They had all the elements they needed to demonstrate them as film-noir anti-heros but instead took the "Disney" route of making them all fun-loving good guys. They needed more "Usual Suspects" and less "My Little Pony." Even Beckett, the bad guy, was really a good guy wrapped in a candy-coating of bad guy... How is Han at the end of this film anything remotely the Han at the beginning of SW:ANH?

All in all, an entertaining movie and a bit of a save for the sagging SW Universe, but soooo many missed opportunities.

What's next for Han, Chewy and Landau? A musical number? They already had a shower scene!

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Caught this tonight finally thanks to a Vudu coupon helping me justify the rental but I actually thought it was decent. Nice Star Wars touches such as the classic score, some name/visual drops of the series, and the story isn't horrible. The movie starts a bit slow but once it gets going it's really not bad. It's not triology, main series worthy but for a spin-off i'm ok with it. I think Obiwan and Boba Fett (or Battle of the Bounty Hunters) would be much better but hopefully we'll see those in the near future. I definitely walked away more content than I did with The Last Jedi which was complete disappointment.

Oh yeah... Maul was a nice addition to the film. To me, that's what you do when you have access to Star Wars, you fan service every chance you get.

I didn't really like Han's actor and I personally don't care for Harrellson, he's too much the same in every film but i'm probably in the minorty on that one.

If you're a Star Wars fan, I think you should watch it with tempered expectations. It's a spin-off film with a lot of Star War touches from the main series that were simply just nice to see.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just watched this last night because I was bored. I enjoyed it for being a SW movie. Better than the other swill they released. I would put this one right behind Rogue One but way above the new main story movies.

I kind ow wish they would go all dark with these SW movies but that will never happen, you just have to accept that this franchise is pretty much meant for kids, and if you look at these movies through that lens, they do a good job.

I just think they would do better catering to the true SW fans, people like you and I, which saw the originals when we were kids. To be quite honest you would think that todays kids would give a shit, but just from what my kids (now teens) think of the entire SW thing, they could give 2 shits. Its not the same to them as it was to us back in the 80s.

Its just too cheesy even for todays kids. Which are used to other more "adult" action and other type films.

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just watched this last night because I was bored. I enjoyed it for being a SW movie. Better than the other swill they released. I would put this one right behind Rogue One but way above the new main story movies.

I kind ow wish they would go all dark with these SW movies but that will never happen, you just have to accept that this franchise is pretty much meant for kids, and if you look at these movies through that lens, they do a good job.

I just think they would do better catering to the true SW fans, people like you and I, which saw the originals when we were kids. To be quite honest you would think that todays kids would give a shit, but just from what my kids (now teens) think of the entire SW thing, they could give 2 shits. Its not the same to them as it was to us back in the 80s.

Its just too cheesy even for todays kids. Which are used to other more "adult" action and other type films.
what was kiddy about Luke witnessing the only parents he ever knew turned into smouldering skeletons? seriously?
89a974435b8d4c029dfb79f8cca67f80.jpg

• 2Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider

I really liked the gritty war aspects.

They just need to learn to stay off the goofiness.