Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fadaar

That guy
Finally saw this. Liked it better than every SW movie since Return of the Jedi, though I did like Force Awakens when it came out but have steadily liked it less and less. TLJ probably hurt it more than anything. This actually felt like a Star Wars movie in the same tone as the originals, except for maybe the fem-bot. She was decently humorous at least.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
None of the new movies are outstanding. Force Awakens played it safe. R1 could have benefited from less nostalgia. Last Jedi's main faults were several poor choices, an overall blandness, leaving me indifferent to the next film and bad dialogue. This last one was the only one I wasn't interested in as soon as it was announced. As expected, Solo was a needless journey through boring backstories nobody gives a shit about.

Never cared for restarting the franchise at any rate. My hope was they would be competent, inventive and expand the universe with the anthology films. To me Star Wars ended in 1983 and everything else is varying degrees of fan fiction. Never expected the new stuff to be anything more than that.

I've watched each of these films twice except Solo. Went to the theater for Last Jedi and Rogue One the first time, the rest I watched on disc or streamed later and whatnot. Maybe I would enjoy Solo more as an unmemorable 'fun movie' a second time. Doubt I will watch it again.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I watched this in the home theater last month and I either fell asleep during it, or this movie was highly forgettable.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think some of these people are next level trolls. No one can actually think that.

• 2Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Shamelessly torrented this and just got around to watching it tonight. I thought it was actually very enjoyable. Makes me wonder what the original directors did with it as it surely must've been very little resemblance to what we got.

gremlinz273

<Bronze Donator>
Finally decided to try this one now that it's on Netflix. It didn't take me long to realize this really is a very bad movie.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
This movie definitely suffered from coming after the last jedi. I wasnt even interested in it. I ended up liking it. Its nice to see the Star Wars universe without jedi's. The Sjw droid wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Over all it was a good not great star wars movie.

Wouldve been better if it wasnt Han Solo and Chewbacca.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Saw it a few days ago, was decent. Would have been better if mother of dragons could act. SJW bot was annoying but she got rekt so it turned out ok.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally watched this on Netflix, not a bad movie overall, will echo that it would have been better if it wasn't a poor approximation of Han. I get they are portraying him as a younger, unseasoned version (minus I guess 3 years of military training and brutal intergalactic war) of the original, but he is a bumbling joke the whole movie... and then he's a stone cold murderer without any real bridge between the two. I enjoyed L3, Glover did an excellent Lando, and Khaleesi didn't bother me other than she looks like she has a lot of makeup on to no real affect in parts. I started off hating Harrelson, he grew on me, and I really enjoyed him by the end, which seems to be how he plays out for me, was the same for Zombieland. Han, or rather Ehrenreich as Han, just didn't work for me, and I definitely think if he was the same character, just not Han, it would have been more palatable. The "beginning of the Rebellion" schtick felt forced, cut the whole thing from the film, raiders and all, devote said time to more Falcon action, profit.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
My son showed me this video and it reminded me just how good the Star War Universe can be in terms of their characters and spin-off storylines that have been established. It's a shame that the main storyline has taken some major hits but there are several good things still floating around if someone will capitalize on them. Dude in the video may be a little annoying but showcases some good and interesting Star Wars stories that need to happen on the big screen.

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
It's not a bad movie, it just feels more like a heist movie set in a Star Wars backdrop than an actual Star Wars movie.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's not a bad movie, it just feels more like a heist movie set in a Star Wars backdrop than an actual Star Wars movie.
thats not necessarily a bad thing, it did not need to be a Han Solo prequel. NOBODY asked for that. because it was a Solo prequel there was no suspense for Han, Lando, Chewie or the Falcon. the film already starts off flawed. if it was set in the Star Wars Universe and these were only mildly related characters it could have done better. i understand why they used Han Solo though because they need to pull in Star Wars fans too. even though they also blame them when their films turn out shitty. tis is why you need to develop new concepts instead of regurgitating 40+ year old ones as a crutch.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I finally caught this as well. It was pretty bad at the start, the train heist was fun, and the movie got a lot better once Lando showed up. The early unnecessary backstory stuff like how he met Chewy or got his last name were very dumb, but the more subtle stuff like how he got his gun, or Lando doing the two finger salute were nice.

Perfectly ok movie that didn't need to be made, with no suspense like Chuk mentioned.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I finally caught this as well. It was pretty bad at the start, the train heist was fun, and the movie got a lot better once Lando showed up. The early unnecessary backstory stuff like how he met Chewy or got his last name were very dumb, but the more subtle stuff like how he got his gun, or Lando doing the two finger salute were nice.

Perfectly ok movie that didn't need to be made, with no suspense like Chuk mentioned.
Its kind of sad with all the written material now of the SW universe, its like a whole written history to choose from and make new compelling shit, pre sith, post sith, and on and on...and yet they chose to produce this bullshit. They dont even have to imagine anything, just choose one of the hundreds of books already written.

Just to add, Han Solo, although decent movie, was bad not because of the above stated things, its because he was a side character in the SW universe that was brought into existence and made famous because of Harrison Ford and his charisma and personality. Take that away he again becoems a side character that nobody gives a shit about.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Solo is a good idea (let's talk about a SW interesting character's past) made into a blockbuster mess : bad actors, multiple writers and awful production. Forcing trending TV stars and friends' debutants is generally a bad thing, especially when you figure they can't act for shit. Also writing is so bad, convoluted and shallow, as a producer you have to discard scenes because cast can't just do it. During filming voices were raised with quality concerns and they were either shut down or fired. This movie went to development hell and never got back from it.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Its kind of sad with all the written material now of the SW universe, its like a whole written history to choose from and make new compelling shit, pre sith, post sith, and on and on...and yet they chose to produce this bullshit. They dont even have to imagine anything, just choose one of the hundreds of books already written.

Just to add, Han Solo, although decent movie, was bad not because of the above stated things, its because he was a side character in the SW universe that was brought into existence and made famous because of Harrison Ford and his charisma and personality. Take that away he again becoems a side character that nobody gives a shit about.

The worst thing that came out of Solo bombing was that we aren't gonna get that Ewan McGregor Obi Wan movie.

• 1RAGE

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
The worst thing that came out of Solo bombing was that we aren't gonna get that Ewan McGregor Obi Wan movie.

I don't know. Iger is pretty clear he considers Star Wars fatigue to be a big reason why this one didn't do as well. That's the main reason I didn't bother seeing it in the theater (and being lukewarm to TLJ).

Just watched this last night on the Netflix and I liked it. Hopefully at some point they continue the story and give us some more live action Darth Maul.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think i said it before but the movie itself isn't as bad as the lack of sales let on. it wasn't great or anything, but it really suffered from TLJ-backlash. honestly my biggest issue with it is the writers feeling the need to ram as many SW references in it as possible. i think "Everything Wrong With" said it too... it's like everything that ever happened to han, happened to him within a week.

• 1Worf