Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This is crazy to even think let alone post, but I just finished watching this and think I agree with big bisi. This is at least as good as IW, and the afterglow is wanting me to say it’s ever so slightly better than IW.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

PunieHop

<Banned>
I thought the movie was great and the animation look was awesome. The thing that really bothered me was the fps the movie was shot in. I know what they were going for but it felt like playing a PC game and getting shitty framerate in some spots.
At the beginning of the movie especially I found the framerate to be incredibly distracting to the point where it was almost painful to watch. I did get used to it, though, and by the end it seemed much smoother.

Loved the movie overall. Did have a couple of nitpicks, though:
Why did Gwen feel the need to make up a name when she meets Miles? There's literally no reason for her not to just introduce herself as Gwen, especially since that's almost certainly what the other students and teachers have been calling her, and the name has no association for Miles anyway.

I was really happy that Spider-Ham was featured, but a bit disappointed in the execution. The original design was more angular while the redesign just looks like Porky Pig in a Spider Man outfit. And yes, the original comics were silly and aimed at kids but they still told stories that had an internal logic and didn't resort to cartoon clichés like pulling random mallets out of the air.

bd1b2ade59ce51005970d6139520684f.jpg
12-spider-ham.w700.h700.jpg

And while the presence of Spider-Ham, Manga Spider Man and Noir Spider Man added to the fun, none of them really got to contribute much of anything. I would have liked to see at least a basic set up about what makes them unique that leads to a payoff where their particular abilities or characteristics end up making a difference.

While I'm at it, is getting bit by radioactive spiders just a thing that can happen to anyone at any time in Miles' universe? And why did Miles get the standard Spidey powers as well as electric powers and invisibility? What do those powers have to do with spiders anyway?

Again, those are just nitpicks and overall I really enjoyed the movie.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
At the beginning of the movie especially I found the framerate to be incredibly distracting to the point where it was almost painful to watch. I did get used to it, though, and by the end it seemed much smoother.

Why did Gwen feel the need to make up a name when she meets Miles? There's literally no reason for her not to just introduce herself as Gwen, especially since that's almost certainly what the other students and teachers have been calling her, and the name has no association for Miles anyway.

I was really happy that Spider-Ham was featured, but a bit disappointed in the execution. The original design was more angular while the redesign just looks like Porky Pig in a Spider Man outfit. And yes, the original comics were silly and aimed at kids but they still told stories that had an internal logic and didn't resort to cartoon clichés like pulling random mallets out of the air.

And while the presence of Spider-Ham, Manga Spider Man and Noir Spider Man added to the fun, none of them really got to contribute much of anything. I would have liked to see at least a basic set up about what makes them unique that leads to a payoff where their particular abilities or characteristics end up making a difference.

While I'm at it, is getting bit by radioactive spiders just a thing that can happen to anyone at any time in Miles' universe? And why did Miles get the standard Spidey powers as well as electric powers and invisibility? What do those powers have to do with spiders anyway?

Yeah I wasn’t sure about the invisibility and electricity also. Was kind of assuming it was just a side effect of Kingpin’s machine and they went away when everything was zapped back in alignment. But maybe it is a comic thing, no idea.

Also agree with your other points. They were cool side characters, Manga Spider chick contributed more than Noir or Ham.

This was really cool and enjoyable. Hate that I missed it in theaters.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

they didn't explain it at all, other than a very quick glance at the spider being labeled "Alchemax." Alchemax is the same company that miguel o'harris works for (spider-man 2099) and he got his powers from accidentally mixing his dna with a spider they had on record (or something, it's been a while). he has a SLIGHTLY different variation on the theme so i just took it as the alchemax spider being slightly different. also, if i remember correctly, spider-gwen has those powers in the comic? at least she has invisibility i believe, and spider-woman can shoot bio-electric blasts so i THINK it was just taking other existing powers and giving them to miles since he's the hero of the story.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
But seriously, why the fuck would they not release the 3D version of this on Bluray? This movie was MADE for 3D, and that's how I enjoyed it in theaters.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah I wasn’t sure about the invisibility and electricity also. Was kind of assuming it was just a side effect of Kingpin’s machine and they went away when everything was zapped back in alignment. But maybe it is a comic thing, no idea.

Also agree with your other points. They were cool side characters, Manga Spider chick contributed more than Noir or Ham.

This was really cool and enjoyable. Hate that I missed it in theaters.

Pretty sure it was explained in the comics that there were actually multiple different spiders than the one that bit Peter. So his different abilities are attributed to that.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure it was explained in the comics that there were actually multiple different spiders than the one that bit Peter. So his different abilities are attributed to that.

Yeah, I'm also pretty sure this is how they explained it. Essentially lots of spiders have different defense/offense mechanisms. And you get some of the abilities of whatever type bit you.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
the afterglow is wanting me to say it’s ever so slightly better than IW.

I only saw 12 2018 movies in theaters last year, and without shame I rank them:

1) Spider Man: Into the Spider-Verse
2) Avengers: Infinity War
3) Mission Impossible: Fallout
4) Bad Times at the El Royale
5) Incredibles 2
6) Deadpool 2
7) Solo
8) Black Panther
9) Ant-Man & the Wasp
10) Ready Player One
11) Mile 22
12) Hotel Artemis

Note: Old timers will know I am way in the tank for Lord & Miller; in 2014, I ranked 22 Jump Street my favorite movie of the year, and even in retrospect, only Captain America: Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy 1 are even in contention.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This movie was amazing. Visually incredible. Drags a bit on the last quarter, but overall still A++. Like, imagine how DC does animated movies - - bad ass right? Now imagine that with Marvel's budget. Yeeeah.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, this was pretty good. Loved the artwork. Also, I kinda preferred the final costume WITH the hoodie, shorts, and Nikes.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The treatment of the characters was just so good in this movie, especially Miles. Having him sing to himself to calm down and release his spider grip on the ceiling, him saying "Thanks New York" when they hit the ground and everyone just walks all over them instead of going aroudn, and him giving the "what's up" nod to the kid in the train while the snowman face is smearing across are all places that really stand out in subsequent viewings.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just saw this during the weekend.

Animation and art style were simply amazing, the entire thing looked absolutely awesome.

The story was a bit over the top, but for the most well written and allowed for the introduction of all the characters.

I thought Miles was great, looking forward to more Spiderverse movies.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The treatment of the characters was just so good in this movie, especially Miles. Having him sing to himself to calm down and release his spider grip on the ceiling, him saying "Thanks New York" when they hit the ground and everyone just walks all over them instead of going aroudn, and him giving the "what's up" nod to the kid in the train while the snowman face is smearing across are all places that really stand out in subsequent viewings.
I was talking to the missus about this after we watched it. I said the SJWs think we have a problem with lack of diversity so they “brownwash” established characters without making them unique. Nobody liked Miles when he was introduced and it was attributed to racism. I’d be surprised if anyone didn’t LOVE Miles from this movie. He’s not a brown Peter Parker, he’s Mile Morales and he’s awesome because of it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I was talking to the missus about this after we watched it. I said the SJWs think we have a problem with lack of diversity so they “brownwash” established characters without making them unique. Nobody liked Miles when he was introduced and it was attributed to racism. I’d be surprised if anyone didn’t LOVE Miles from this movie. He’s not a brown Peter Parker, he’s Mile Morales and he’s awesome because of it.

Pretty much. It is like they ignored that Blade movies made a ton of money and people bought the comics after they saw them. Blade was a badass and had an interesting story so he was popular. He wasn't popular because of some diversity quota.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
blu ray rips are out 4K ATMOS with HDR, blu rays out 3/19. The UHDs at some stores do come with a pretty sweet steelbook

11997870-7014655865309321.jpg

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Thanks for reminding me to download this. Saw it twice with my kids in the movies, def going to see it more.

Inque

FunEmployed
Yea, there's apparently no 4K steelbook of this, Best Buy dropped the 4K pre order and stealth switched them with the regular Blu-ray verison.