Spider-Man

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So I am sure this is a great game but its very quickly becoming frustrating for me. I feel as though the controls and reactions are not responsive and stupid stuff keeps happening to me. Again its probably all me everyone else seems to love this game and I can certainly see why. I just cant quite get things right. Anyone else having these issues, practice makes perfect?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah. Practice. It's the same thing if you were fresh to Arkham. Do it enough it'll start to click. It's not easy to start with, and not easy after you're proficient, but then what's the fun of it. After a while I'm sure it'll play like gravy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Are you having problems with combat or moving around the city?

For combat, practice really does make perfect. A good thing to do is just focus on getting the bonus objectives for things like the thug enounters, pressing the touchpad and going to the move list and figuring out what exactly you need to do - like if the bonus is web 3 chars to walls and throw 3 items at enemies you have to figure out how to do both.

In the beginning I played it mortal kombat style just button mashing and seeing shit go everywhere but you really do need to learn how to web people up, chaining combos so you keep things a bit under control. Most importantly, you have to learn when to dodge (circle) - white spidey sense but you have to learn how to time it right, like right away when meleeing but wait until gun traces turn red if its gunfire related. Also facing the right way for rockets and grenades and picking them up (L1+R1) and tossing them back. It gets absolutely insane later so really use stuff like the Fisk hideouts with 6 waves to practice combat against melee and gun people. You can run the base stuff over and over and over for practice, you don't earn extra stuff.

Its not quite like batman where you can stand around meleeing forever and flow from one perfect combo to another, you will get overwhelmed quickly by ranged weapons, big thug guys, whip guys, etc if you try to go toe to toe. I find mobility works best, I still kinda suck at using gadgets (I basically NEVER use them) and webbing people up but thats really a big key to keeping crowds of enemies under control

I hit near the end of act 2 and thought "huh must be close to finishing the game, got most of the trophies and level 43" and it just went nuts now and I still have a few hours I think.

Re: plat trophy, I bought all the suits (only 1 story one left that doesn't cost anything) and it cost me everything but 1 challenge token, and I 2-starred all the challenges. So if you want the plat just buy every suit as you go along, don't spend any challenge (taskmaster) tokens on gadgets or other stuff though. The suit you get near the end of act 2 is the greatest suit of all, I love it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Not being seen isn't the problem, especially with blur from the black/green stealth suit. The problem is that the gold timer seems to be so short that you only have time to do one long sequence of web (triangle) takedowns with a tripwire here and there to take out ones that are too close together. There's no time to distract and wait for them to move around, or as far as I can tell, even to use normal/perch (square) takedowns because of their long animations.

If it says "Safe" when you use the square perch takedown it'll be safe for the entire animation even if the enemies turn at the last minute.

Triangle perch takedown is good once you've cleared out the riff raff.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Are you having problems with combat or moving around the city?

For combat, practice really does make perfect. A good thing to do is just focus on getting the bonus objectives for things like the thug enounters, pressing the touchpad and going to the move list and figuring out what exactly you need to do - like if the bonus is web 3 chars to walls and throw 3 items at enemies you have to figure out how to do both.

In the beginning I played it mortal kombat style just button mashing and seeing shit go everywhere but you really do need to learn how to web people up, chaining combos so you keep things a bit under control. Most importantly, you have to learn when to dodge (circle) - white spidey sense but you have to learn how to time it right, like right away when meleeing but wait until gun traces turn red if its gunfire related. Also facing the right way for rockets and grenades and picking them up (L1+R1) and tossing them back. It gets absolutely insane later so really use stuff like the Fisk hideouts with 6 waves to practice combat against melee and gun people. You can run the base stuff over and over and over for practice, you don't earn extra stuff.

Its not quite like batman where you can stand around meleeing forever and flow from one perfect combo to another, you will get overwhelmed quickly by ranged weapons, big thug guys, whip guys, etc if you try to go toe to toe. I find mobility works best, I still kinda suck at using gadgets (I basically NEVER use them) and webbing people up but thats really a big key to keeping crowds of enemies under control

I hit near the end of act 2 and thought "huh must be close to finishing the game, got most of the trophies and level 43" and it just went nuts now and I still have a few hours I think.

Re: plat trophy, I bought all the suits (only 1 story one left that doesn't cost anything) and it cost me everything but 1 challenge token, and I 2-starred all the challenges. So if you want the plat just buy every suit as you go along, don't spend any challenge (taskmaster) tokens on gadgets or other stuff though. The suit you get near the end of act 2 is the greatest suit of all, I love it.

Pretty much this, you have a ton of options in combat and once you hit the end game encounters you'll need to use a lot of them to handle encounters smoothly.

It's like later in the game relying on the move to knock them up into the sky is super risky because it's slow, so the anti-grav gadget really helps out there. The gadgets give a ton of options and crowd control.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As long as you stop to take out whip dudes right away you can basically melee forever by knocking a dude into the air, comboing him, then hold triangle to hoist a second one and do the same, then before you hit the ground do a swing attack to launch another one and air combo him, lift another, swing, rinse and repeat forever. Perfect dodge bullets and use triangle to KO them automatically, and return rockets to sender. You rack up tons of finishers that way too; good for taking out shield guys who are being annoying.

Really late in the game you get the best ability too: it lets you alternate between air and ground combos and you electrify everything you hit while on the ground.

If it says "Safe" when you use the square perch takedown it'll be safe for the entire animation even if the enemies turn at the last minute.

Triangle perch takedown is good once you've cleared out the riff raff.
But what I was saying is that there's no time to wait for the extended animations for square-button takedowns if you want gold. Triangle keeps you moving all the time, so you really can only use it and tripwires.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wrapping up the credits now. What a fucking fantastic game. :) God of War and this are two of my games of the year so far. Spider-Man MAY beat it out. And with RDR 2 coming up? Wow. What a great year.

As for combat, before you know it you will be flying around and doing combat at the same time with multiple web shots and a gadget with throwing things at enemies all at the same time. I suck at combat in these games and by the end, I was kicking some major major ass. :)

Absolutely fantastic. One of the best PS4 exclusives I have played.

• 1Like

Crone

I was going to say that combat for sure is a lot more about dodge. I'm like spronk spronk and was button mashing in the beginning and realized I needed to start dodging a lot more. Once I started dodging a lot more, I started doing the dodge + launch off a wall attack, and it started taking out guys faster. I also, by adding way more dodging, started sliding under the dudes, which allowed me to hit them in the back. Hence killing dudes a LOT faster.

I mention this, just to kinda show how it's a progression of fighting skill. There is for sure a learning curve, and I still die quite a bit. I'm 19% through the game it says, and can't wait to get further and master more moves.

Also, I settled in to take the "ohhh shiny!" approach to playing. In general, I'll move towards the next yellow quest on the map, but along the way I get distracted TONS! haha. Ohhhh a crime, go do that, ohh landmark, go take a picture, etc. This kinda gives it a great mix of side quests, and other things to do.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I was going to say that combat for sure is a lot more about dodge. I'm like spronk spronk and was button mashing in the beginning and realized I needed to start dodging a lot more. Once I started dodging a lot more, I started doing the dodge + launch off a wall attack, and it started taking out guys faster. I also, by adding way more dodging, started sliding under the dudes, which allowed me to hit them in the back. Hence killing dudes a LOT faster.

I mention this, just to kinda show how it's a progression of fighting skill. There is for sure a learning curve, and I still die quite a bit. I'm 19% through the game it says, and can't wait to get further and master more moves.

Also, I settled in to take the "ohhh shiny!" approach to playing. In general, I'll move towards the next yellow quest on the map, but along the way I get distracted TONS! haha. Ohhhh a crime, go do that, ohh landmark, go take a picture, etc. This kinda gives it a great mix of side quests, and other things to do.

Haha yep that's what happened to me. I finally had to force myself to just do yellow quests and finish Act 3 because I was getting distracted constantly.

spronk

FPS noob
my only real complaint would be so far that in act 3 they open up around 50 (10 per zone) pretty lame things you've done before, it is maybe a bit way too over the top to just add some hours /played to the game. its all optional so I can't really say its the worst ala the grind in Ubisoft games, but it feels like something they should have done in a better way.

also if you have an xbox sunset overdrive is $3 at microsoft stores physical (its also on gamepass I think), its the same guys who made Spider-Man and you can feel the roots of Spider-man in Sunset. Its nowhere near as good a game but its pretty fun, esp for $3. It goes on deep sales on XBL all the time too so may as well just wait for that

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Would you guys say this would be ok for a 6 year old? I watched a “first 20 minutes” video and saw lots of firearms, but in the super hero context I think that’s ok. I’m more worried about strong language and sexual themes.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
it might be a little too hard for a six year, it does require a lot of precise button pressing although i dunno if on easy/story mode if thats still true? not really any sexual stuff, not much language either but a lot of violence and a lot of dialogue / cut scenes. dunno, six seems maybe 1-2 years too young

got the plat today, extremely satisfying ending that felt very MCU like in how many "post credit" scenes they had. 9.5/10 game for me, this has been a fucking amazing year with God of War, Spider-Man, and hopefully RDR 2, Hitman 2, and Forza Horizon 4. I wonder how good the DLC content will be, 3 total story DLCs coming every month in oct, nov, and dec I think.

IcztuB7.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Would you guys say this would be ok for a 6 year old? I watched a “first 20 minutes” video and saw lots of firearms, but in the super hero context I think that’s ok. I’m more worried about strong language and sexual themes.
My 5 year old does just fine with it. He isn't very good at things, and need my helps sometimes, but that's ok. But don't try and micro manage him, otherwise it just gets frustrating. Such as when my 5 year old spent like 2 hours just webbing around and into the water when he found the river. Lol.

The guns and beating things up is fine, as he already had that in Knack 1/2, where you beat dudes up there, and when you get shot, there isn't sprays of blood like Uncharted, so I feel it's pretty tame.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Back in my day I saw six year olds playing Leisure Suit Larry. Lighten up parents :) Let them go nuts. We turned out just fine :p

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Based on what I've played so far, if you'd let your kid watch the MCU movies, then you can let them play the game. It's tonally not too far off.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

The full penetration scene isn't until the final act.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I loved that part where you had to find the condom Black Cat hid before nailing her in central park.

• 1Worf

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I finished it tonight, all in all a really great game. The story was better than I expected, with a lot of cool Spider-Man lore, lots of vilains that were well done.

The swinging around, fighting and just being Spider-Man was so amazing.

Didn’t like the parts where I wasn’t Spider-Man all that much though, but they were generally short and wasn’t that many.

My only disappointment if I can call it that was during the final act, after the raft...basically from that point on...all unlocks are just crimes and bases, so that act all you do is combat stuff, combat is cool but I thought the game had up to that point been pretty good at giving you somewhat diverse side stuff to do.

I can’t wait for the DLC.