Sports Entertainment

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Fuck, concussions are no joke. Sad to see Bryan go. He was the reason I got back into WWE a couple years ago.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Same. I hadn't watched wrestling since the late 90s. Someone linked OSW Review in a thread and I watched all of them for the nostalgia. Around that time, I heard about the crowd shitting all over Batista winning the Rumble and going nuts for Daniel Bryan. I looked up a clip on YouTube and watched the segment of Raw where he beat the shit out of Bray Wyatt in the cage and the crowd was out of their minds. I started watching every week after that. He was the ultimate underdog and one of the most natural face characters ever. How many performers can make a grown man forget about kayfabe, put him on the edge of his seat and stand up and cheer when he finally overcomes the odds? Daniel Bryan did that for me at Wrestlemania 30.

When wrestling is bad, its really bad and hard to watch. But when wrestling is good, there is nothing in the world like it. Thank you for making wrestling great, Daniel.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Same. I hadn't watched wrestling since the late 90s. Someone linked OSW Review in a thread and I watched all of them for the nostalgia. Around that time, I heard about the crowd shitting all over Batista winning the Rumble and going nuts for Daniel Bryan. I looked up a clip on YouTube and watched the segment of Raw where he beat the shit out of Bray Wyatt in the cage and the crowd was out of their minds. I started watching every week after that. He was the ultimate underdog and one of the most natural face characters ever. How many performers can make a grown man forget about kayfabe, put him on the edge of his seat and stand up and cheer when he finally overcomes the odds? Daniel Bryan did that for me at Wrestlemania 30.

When wrestling is bad, its really bad and hard to watch. But when wrestling is good, there is nothing in the world like it. Thank you for making wrestling great, Daniel.
Whether or not it was Seattle, DB would still have been more over than the rest of the wrestlers combined. I don't know how he does it, but we connect with him. He's even said it himself, it's hard for him to understand why people connect to him at such a high level. Personally, I think it's because most people can identify with the little guy being bullied, and when he overcomes the odds, we live his victories with him. As Kevin Nash once said, "The vanilla midget vs. the Authority has become Must See TV." It's a modern day David v. Goliath.

I feel bad for DB, in that he can't do what he loves any more (although I'm still not convinced this is a way for him to break out of his three year contract where he has to sit on his ass). Assuming this is true, he had a great run, but we'll never know if he could have achieved legendary status. He spent a lot of time in obscurity in the indies, abusing himself and took years off of his career, that could have been better used in the pro's.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
He's going to continue working for WWE behind the scenes, so I doubt he'll be doing much outside of there. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an on camera role, if they were smart they would have him in a HHH type role for an anti authority/league of nations type group considering all his history there.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
He's going to continue working for WWE behind the scenes, so I doubt he'll be doing much outside of there. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an on camera role, if they were smart they would have him in a HHH type role for an anti authority/league of nations type group considering all his history there.
???

Take it for what you will, but every dirtsheet I've read said he won't be involved in WWE at all. VKM has been trying to find a job for him, but he keeps turning them down.

Has something changed?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Bryan only thought his problems were in his neck. If its concussions he is just officially done wrestling. He has had 10 concussions in WWE alone and his time in ROH was even harder on his body.

Dude is tight with his money and he is all green sustainabilty dude. Money won't be an issue. Plus he will probably still be on Total Divas as long as Brie is there.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bryan only thought his problems were in his neck. If its concussions he is just officially done wrestling. He has had 10 concussions in WWE alone and his time in ROH was even harder on his body.
Have link on ten concussions in the WWE? That's a lot.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Have link on ten concussions in the WWE? That's a lot.
Well he counted 3 in his first 5 months of wrestling, I highly doubt they just stopped after that. Some people are just more prone to these things than others. I doubt he'll be wrestling much anymore, if at all.

He'll still be around in WWE though.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Fuck I don't remember, but I think it was from Metzer or another one of the Wrestling sites. If he was concussion prone, which is what it sounds like, it's possible. He even admits he had 3 concussions in the first 3 months of him starting to wrestle.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Its funny reading various boards on wrestling and people complaining that a few concussions won't stop him and shouldn't stop him and they aren't a big deal as long as you rest after and you'll be okay....

It's your freaking brain, a concussion done some serious damage to it long term and having multiple is no joke. If you do something and get 3 of them doing it....stop fucking doing it now.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its funny reading various boards on wrestling and people complaining that a few concussions won't stop him and shouldn't stop him and they aren't a big deal as long as you rest after and you'll be okay....

It's your freaking brain, a concussion done some serious damage to it long term and having multiple is no joke. If you do something and get 3 of them doing it....stop fucking doing it now.
I've been concussed more than three times, but they were spread out. I boxed in College, and did full contact Karate for years. And I also played football in HS, and I can remember when I was 10 heading the ball in Soccer and getting really dizzy.

Who hasn't been concussed that's played in a sport, even at the HS level? It's amazing, back in the day, if you showed concussion symptoms, we'd just get out the smelling salts and start again. No one knew.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've been concussed more than three times, but they were spread out. I boxed in College, and did full contact Karate for years. And I also played football in HS, and I can remember when I was 10 heading the ball in Soccer and getting really dizzy.

Who hasn't been concussed that's played in a sport, even at the HS level? It's amazing, back in the day, if you showed concussion symptoms, we'd just get out the smelling salts and start again. No one knew.
People were ignorant of how dangerous a medical ailment was years ago? Who knew?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
OK, so if he had three concussions in the first six months, ten concussions at WWE over five years, how many did he get in the rest of his ten years in the indies (as well as start of career)? 30? 40? I just realized, that's a lot of concussions.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
rrr_img_126087.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
One concussion was enough to convince me to give up falling down flights of stairs at high speeds, I can't imagine 10 much less 30-40.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
When DB comes out and says on ESPN that he was having seizures and hiding them, as well as swelling and lesions on the brain, I think we can now all agree it was time. I really wish he could have toned down his daredevil style of wrestling earlier.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So it's just as I said a few days ago. He's much worse than you were aware, was hiding injuries and WWE just didn't want to take a chance on him....as no one should if they cared about his well being. And then you argued with me about an NFL doctor clearing him and he was okay and Vince was being a douche and didn't want him as a top face anymore and this was his way of preventing that...even though I stated he had a history of hiding injuries.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So it's just as I said a few days ago. He's much worse than you were aware, was hiding injuries and WWE just didn't want to take a chance on him....as no one should if they cared about his well being. And then you argued with me about an NFL doctor clearing him and he was okay and Vince was being a douche and didn't want him as a top face anymore and this was his way of preventing that...even though I stated he had a history of hiding injuries.
He did get cleared by a lot of reputable Doctors that specialized in neurology. That tells you how little we still know about sports concussions, that more than one Doctor would risk their medical license and negligence lawsuits by saying that.

No one knew he was hiding seizures, at least not until the ESPN interview last night. My jaw dropped when he said that.