Squid Game

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Pretty meh show. The main protagonist as a tragicomic guy, has this anime kind of sluggishness and hesitancy to grasp very simple choices and events. The rich people as masked assholes paying poors to fight to the death is a tired cliche and of course they had to make them American for woke reasons. Giving them masks is very The Purge.

The protagonist had no problem cheating at the game in order to kill his old man friend, yet loses his shit when other contestants kill each other. He's willing to give up all the money, making everyone's deaths meaningless, and even after he gets all the money, he doesn't take care of his friends families. I guess they try to make him sympathetic but just makes him into a massively dislikable character.

Did you even watch the episode? They went out of their way to show how much it bothered him to be doing that.

I thought it was telegraphed too much that the old man was behind everything with all the games being fond memories of his childhood and then when his was the only death after the marble game to happen offscreen it was just obvious.

My other issue with the old man inconsistency with him being in the game. Was he trying to get some excitement by actually risking his life, or just screwing around and had no intention of dying? If it's the first one, then why have them fake his death after the marble game? If it's the second, then what about the tug of war game? They were really close to losing that, and if that happens then he falls to his death.

Thought it was good overall. Always find it comical when people others they shouldn't watch japanese/korean things dubbed and should read subtitles instead.

Dumbest fucking thing ever

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Did you even watch the episode? They went out of their way to show how much it bothered him to be doing that.

I thought it was telegraphed too much that the old man was behind everything with all the games being fond memories of his childhood and then when his was the only death after the marble game to happen offscreen it was just obvious.

My other issue with the old man inconsistency with him being in the game. Was he trying to get some excitement by actually risking his life, or just screwing around and had no intention of dying? If it's the first one, then why have them fake his death after the marble game? If it's the second, then what about the tug of war game? They were really close to losing that, and if that happens then he falls to his death.

Thought it was good overall. Always find it comical when people others they shouldn't watch japanese/korean things dubbed and should read subtitles instead.

Dumbest fucking thing ever
The old man was not locked in during the tug of war like the rest of the players. If they lost he could’ve pulled his wrist Chains off and not fallen.

I think telling people the dubbing sucking is fine but ultimately pointless. Being mad they watch with dubbing is stupid though. When you have to watch dubbing you can miss out on visual details. When you don’t watch dubbing you miss out on actor emotions. It’s pretty much a given that all dubbing sucks though, so telling people it sucks is why I think it’s pointless.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Finally watched this. Mostly really good. The final episode was so dumb I started skipping scenes half way through and kept skipping right til the end. Why even make that episode? What a dumb fucking non ending.

Biggest complaints about the show are minor details.
1. That clownish chick that fucks the tough guy. You know, whatshername. Holy fucking hell, every scene she was in, I suddenly woke up and was like what the fuck am I watching, I need to turn this off now.

Come on. I don't care what culture it is, nobody acts like that. She was like a caricature of a cartoon character from a show making fun of how unrealistic and stupid cartoon characters are. Show would have 10,000x better if she died in Ep 1.

2. The bridge. They make a big deal about how its tempered glass versus no tempered glass. All the non tempered glass gets broken as they cross. Only tempered glass is left.

Then the show runners blow up the bridge (the tempered glass bridge) and a giant shard of glass sticks into the whatshername #whatever.

Fucking tempered glass.

When you break tempered glass it breaks into neat little cubes, not giant fucking shards. Thats one of the reasons its used in many applications. That whole plot element could not have happened if it was tempered glass, and they couldnt have walked across the bridge if it was non tempered glass. Nerd rage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
huh? there were plenty of regular (annealed) glass plates left before the MC exploded all the plates, and its one of the annealed glass plate shards that cut into the chick. they didn't JUST have tempered glass, since quite a number of positions had the "right" slot jumped onto which means nobody stepped on the regular glass next to it. The one guy who was second or third leaped 3 or 4 times onto the right plate before dying, so thats at least 4 slots of regular glass. The thing that makes less sense is how you would explode the glass, forward (not up) with such velocity, but whatever.

and yeah the annoying chick was annoying, i just figured that was a korean thing. like showing a fat black chick in America wearing a wig and getting into a fight is something you'd just go "yup, thats American" but anyone outside of America wouldn't believe such a person exists.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
huh? there were plenty of regular (annealed) glass plates left before the MC exploded all the plates, and its one of the annealed glass plate shards that cut into the chick. they didn't JUST have tempered glass, since quite a number of positions had the "right" slot jumped onto which means nobody stepped on the regular glass next to it. The one guy who was second or third leaped 3 or 4 times onto the right plate before dying, so thats at least 4 slots of regular glass. The thing that makes less sense is how you would explode the glass, forward (not up) with such velocity, but whatever.

and yeah the annoying chick was annoying, i just figured that was a korean thing. like showing a fat black chick in America wearing a wig and getting into a fight is something you'd just go "yup, thats American" but anyone outside of America wouldn't believe such a person exists.
I guess I'm not certain about my memory of it. I remember thinking, when the glass expert was comparing the last two plates, that it was a shame he didnt have any non tempered glass left to compare with, and thought there was a shot showing that. But I could be wrong. I know some people chose correctly but I thought all those got broken during the course of the game.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I guess I'm not certain about my memory of it. I remember thinking, when the glass expert was comparing the last two plates, that it was a shame he didnt have any non tempered glass left to compare with, and thought there was a shot showing that. But I could be wrong. I know some people chose correctly but I thought all those got broken during the course of the game.
lulz stupid 456 couldn't even remember if the first step was left or right glass

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nah they just turned the lights off so he couldn’t tell the difference anymore. There were many sections that were guessed right or skipped over cause he could tell that still had non-tempered. As someone work at a glass factory tempering glass I can tell you that you can’t see the difference unless you have polarized glasses on, but it’s a show so why not. That’s why they stamp “tempered” on it. Naked eye you can see vents in tempered glass, which makes it so the glass is really unstable and can explode at any time, like you said though, in tiny fragments. That had nothing to do with the show though, I’m just kind of rambling now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nah they just turned the lights off so he couldn’t tell the difference anymore. There were many sections that were guessed right or skipped over cause he could tell that still had non-tempered. As someone work at a glass factory tempering glass I can tell you that you can’t see the difference unless you have polarized glasses on, but it’s a show so why not. That’s why they stamp “tempered” on it. Naked eye you can see vents in tempered glass, which makes it so the glass is really unstable and can explode at any time, like you said though, in tiny fragments. That had nothing to do with the show though, I’m just kind of rambling now.
what about throwing that marble and hearing differences?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
what about throwing that marble and hearing differences?
No idea about that. We were making the glass not throwing marbles at it. Sight wise you could tell at our place if it was tempered because it was automotive glass. If it was not flat and 90 degree angles at our place you knew it had been through the tempering process. Everything we tempered was curved edges and concave. But seeing the difference in properties of the glass itself if they were the exact same size and shape? I don’t think so. It was 20 years ago when I worked there so maybe I’m misremembering but I don’t think the color or sheen changes enough to tell with the naked eye.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You can see the difference easily if you look at the reflection of a laptop screen in the glass. But thats not really practical in the situation they were in. What the glassmaker was looking for was probably a more subtle version of the same phenomenon.

spronk

FPS noob
GTA RP apparently did a massive squid game event RP with hundreds of players over Halloween weekend. There is also some new game called Crab Game (lol) that streamers are starting to play thats basically Great Value Squid Game

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I liked that the subtitles didn't match the dub exactly. It added another layer of meaning to the dialogue.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I missed the debate over subtitles vs dubbing.

It must suck to not read well. I can't imagine having to listen to dubbed shit where the sound doesnt match the lips moving. Doesnt that drive you insane?

Its not like they print a novel on the screen. You don't have to read it slowly left to right with your finger on each word, a literate adult absorbs that small amount of text in a split second. You don't miss any visual details. What is this crap?

The option being proposed is to watch a show where the characters lips move but literally don't match what theyre saying? Sometimes yall make me think I'm just being trolled by the universe

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I can't imagine having to listen to dubbed shit where the sound doesnt match the lips moving. Doesnt that drive you insane?

It wasn't bad in this show. Lots of mumbling where the lips barely moved. It wasn't like saturday morning kung fu theater. It actually took me a while to figure out it was dubbed, I didn't even notice until I started wondering why the subtitles were so different from the words.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there a bot creating all these "news" about kids playing this during recess or is it really happening ?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It actually took me a while to figure out it was dubbed
38bcad29f9b2d78ad131392e05c7a11b.png

• 1Worf