Squid Game

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yeah as Hollywood has gotten shittier and shittier with everyone looking like Cyberpunk character creation results, its been great dipping into foreign media. Only watched one episode of Squid Game and enjoyed it. As I said before, if you liked this definitely watch Alice in Borderlands, its like the more sci-fi Japanese version.

I'd watch it in the original VA with subs, we watched a bit with the dub and it wasn't bad (I think the main VA is the korean guy from Lost/Hawaii 5-0?) but most of the voices are meh and losing lip sync is weird.
On vacation so watched Alice in Borderlands. Didn’t really care for it, especially after watching Squid Game. Squid game at least tried to seem plausible. AiB is just like “wtf is happening” except I didn’t really care what was happening. After it was done I looked it up and was like “Well ok it’s a manga, I guess it can just not make sense.”

The games portion was somewhat interesting in the beginning but they just abandon that once they introduce the Beach. Then it just was so focused on that and then they add more stuff that didn’t make sense. How did no one notice a massive building blaring techno and electricity filled with 300+ people driving cars around for months? Why did anyone care about Arisu at all...cause he figured out a couple games? He was pretty much a failure most of the show, not sure why the execs would give a shit about some weak rando. Why did tattoo sword guy walk around like a gimpy hunchback? Why did the betting arena get mass murdered? I know there is a season 2 that may (probably not) answer some shit but bleh. The one dude coming out of nowhere at the end shooting was 80s movie villain bad.

Whatever, had a bunch of cute Asian chicks in bikinis I guess.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
AiN is worth skipping around an watching the games, don’t get too invested in it because holy shit does the reveal at the ending of the manga suck.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Enjoyed this, but I usually like his pitch meetings.

Just finished the show this evening. Was an fun journey I guess, wasn't really much of a fan of the final episode.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

yeah. can't stand most of those kinds of channels. like the rest of Screenrant is just garbage.

But that guy is usually spot on with Pitch meeting. often bringing up points others miss. like here mentioning how shit the writing and acting for the VIPS was.
Which was a point I thought too. considered talking about it.

First was just, why are they written like American douchebags? almost purely American. not multicultural at all. (one later). and little variation in personality. Oddly seemingly incompetent. clowns.
Which on some level. ok. I assume this was partial to make them more "relatable". show these rich assholes as clowns and "normal" people. Not some hyper intelligent/competent person that deserves their wealth and power.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I loved the whole 'yeah, so he starts his investigation by just murdering a guy, he doesn't know what's going yet on but he needs his clothes'

And yeah, I watch nothing else on Screen Rant, in fact I think I had to block their clickbait news articles from my Google Assistant feed.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Enjoyed this, but I usually like his pitch meetings.

Just finished the show this evening. Was an fun journey I guess, wasn't really much of a fan of the final episode.
I laughed.

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Finished it, liked it.

My main problem with the show is that when we get to the halfway point and much of what is happening is interpersonal drama stuff between players I had seen all of those little vignettes before in Battle Royal, The Long Walk, etc. Takes a bit of work to get to the first game and then it's pretty great with extra layering to the storytelling but then it just kinda slows down and yeah, the VIPs suck. You could delete them entirely and the show would be better.

For someone that hasn't read every dystopian game show story there is and seen every adaptations of those works I would think this would be a real treat and I'd still give it a solid B.

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Finished it last night, was okay. Over-hyped. The main character had that overly-animated, overly-exaggerated, no person in real life is like him thing that makes most Asian shows, Anime especially, completely unwatchable for me. It's like in the east everyone's supposed to be stoic and quiet and then when they portray any character on screen they have to go 1000% in the opposite direction.

I'd say 7/10 seems fine. Some of the shit was just dumb, like making sure the game is fair and balanced, but allowing players to just kill each other during the downtime. What? That means anyone who's prone to violence or physically exceptional has a much much higher chance of winning outside of the games. Retarded.

Most of the show I was just waiting for the games to finish to see who died. The whole Cop side-story was completely unnecessary and just Season 2 fodder. Like remove the Cop shit and nothing changes. Nice.

I did laugh at the hair thing, but who knows if they were trying to be poignant or just showing the character is still "zainy".

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i think there is a whole different vibe to the show if you go in completely blind and are surprised by how competent it is, vs going in on a hype train and there is no way it meets the hype. I went in blind expecting something along the level of Alice in Borderlands, and it was better than that show (which I also enjoyed).

halloween is gonna just be endless squid games, i know at least 2 couples planning adult squid game parties esp since halloween falls on a sunday this year (sat night for adults, sun for the kids)

FB25nQbX0Agn3ZD

Caliane

Finished it last night, was okay. Over-hyped. The main character had that overly-animated, overly-exaggerated, no person in real life is like him thing that makes most Asian shows, Anime especially, completely unwatchable for me. It's like in the east everyone's supposed to be stoic and quiet and then when they portray any character on screen they have to go 1000% in the opposite direction.

I'd say 7/10 seems fine. Some of the shit was just dumb, like making sure the game is fair and balanced, but allowing players to just kill each other during the downtime. What? That means anyone who's prone to violence or physically exceptional has a much much higher chance of winning outside of the games. Retarded.

Most of the show I was just waiting for the games to finish to see who died. The whole Cop side-story was completely unnecessary and just Season 2 fodder. Like remove the Cop shit and nothing changes. Nice.

I did laugh at the hair thing, but who knows if they were trying to be poignant or just showing the character is still "zainy".
yeah, the random arbitrary elements of "fairness" annoyed me too.
the host. not fair at all.

Allowing the night massacre. then stopping it "randomly". not fair at all. when they would, or wouldn''t allow infighting was totally random. like the dude at the end cutting the throat.. then stopping the retaliation.
Then questions of how literal rules are. the bridge and no rules on passing others, or using the beams, etc..

Tug of war setup. I'd have the rope attached to winches. when a side wins, their winch engages, pulling the other side off the platform. The way they have it set up, the other team being pulled off, is not guaranteed. AND, the winning team could be pulled off due to the body weight of the falling team, even after winning..

the exploding bridge was just plain bullshit.

great set design and killer iconography is its real highlight.

spronk

FPS noob
its meant to be a subtle dig at capitalism and how there are rules and structures in place that seem fair at first but aren't really when you dig into it. You can't cheat the government out of taxes. Except if you structure your income as pass-through corporate income and spend money on leasing cars, vacation homes, and retirement planning. You can't cheat in school exams. Except if you are rich and hire private tutors.

You can literally write huge essays on how societies have vast amounts of rules and people figure out ways to cheat, like trannies and womens rights/sports and how the system deliberately enables cheating for some and discourages for others (police state, prisons, bail bonds, drug abuse, corporate welfare, on and on).

heres an extremely subtle thing you likely won't notice on the first watch: the old man is NOT locked/shackled to the rope on the tug of war game. Rules for you, not for me. imo thats why the show is so fantastic, its shallow on the surface but when you dig into tons and tons and tons of production details, there is a level of "show, not tell" that is just amazing.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
its meant to be a subtle dig at capitalism and how there are rules and structures in place that seem fair at first but aren't really when you dig into it. You can't cheat the government out of taxes. Except if you structure your income as pass-through corporate income and spend money on leasing cars, vacation homes, and retirement planning. You can't cheat in school exams. Except if you are rich and hire private tutors.

You can literally write huge essays on how societies have vast amounts of rules and people figure out ways to cheat, like trannies and womens rights/sports and how the system deliberately enables cheating for some and discourages for others (police state, prisons, bail bonds, drug abuse, corporate welfare, on and on).

heres an extremely subtle thing you likely won't notice on the first watch: the old man is NOT locked/shackled to the rope on the tug of war game. Rules for you, not for me. imo thats why the show is so fantastic, its shallow on the surface but when you dig into tons and tons and tons of production details, there is a level of "show, not tell" that is just amazing.
I saw Ben Shapiro saying this, I think it's reading too much into it.

Caliane

I'm not sure I believe that. like... the basic premise of the show is that. The entire point of the Squid game was, we are rich and bored. Hey lifes not fair, so lets give these people another shot in this life or death game of high states, where is fair. But then THAT is also not fair, and thats a critique of Capitalism, and Meritocracy? huh? what? again, they expressly state the point of the game, was life not being fair. suggesting everyone is equal in childrens games. taking everyone away to an island without any outside support. no one in the show, or the show itself ever actually calls out the Squid game for not being fair. Seems suspect the directors intended for us to notice it, when its never actually addressed at all.

spronk

FPS noob
thats precisely though why i loved the show so much. you can take the surface level "play kids games, play fair and honest, winner takes all" and leave it at that. But there are a ton of subtle things that its open to interpretation.

the thugs in the game (mafia) bully and intimidate those around them, but they "followed the rules" for the marbles game, and even invoked the authorities when a rulebook question came up. they may use violence and intimidation when no one is watching, but they are still limited by their inability to think outside the rules. In the final 3, who was the one who snuck across the room and cut their own teammates throat while 456 was distracted? It was the white collar, wall street banker former society elite. He ultimately was the most gangster of all, just like drug company executives are far more deadly than any mobster.

The VIPs have absolutely no rules, they tell the players there are rules and they will be applied equally, but thats not true. Games were never fair - after the bridge game, glass is shot everywhere and seriously maims one person, after the game is over! No one comes to "treat" her or help her even though it would be super obvious she is bleeding to death.

Ultimately the show is even fucking with viewers, by telling you a fantasy that the games are fair and impartial even though literally the last episode point blank tells us that was never true. the old man was never in any danger in any game. think about every one of them. in marbles, he was likely never going to be picked and the odd one out. even after he got picked he had an easy out. tug rope, he wasn't tied to the rope (only one not tied). red-green light, the robot would just skip him.

I do freely admit I do watch too much tv (I'm retired) and after a few years of new shitty shows with chars making speeches about social issues it was nice having a show where no character speechifies and viewers are free to interpret the show as they wish. I miss shows that aren't written by writers who need to tell you their social stances every 5 minutes.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Having the VIPs would make the rulebreaking more bullshit. If it was just a super rich dude fucking with some poors it would be more believeable. But having other rich dudes there betting on them should be keeping it in check.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Red light green light was the only game mentally that seemed fucked since none knew wtf was happening and then marble game which was bs in a way

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty meh show. The main protagonist as a tragicomic guy, has this anime kind of sluggishness and hesitancy to grasp very simple choices and events. The rich people as masked assholes paying poors to fight to the death is a tired cliche and of course they had to make them American for woke reasons. Giving them masks is very The Purge.

The protagonist had no problem cheating at the game in order to kill his old man friend, yet loses his shit when other contestants kill each other. He's willing to give up all the money, making everyone's deaths meaningless, and even after he gets all the money, he doesn't take care of his friends families. I guess they try to make him sympathetic but just makes him into a massively dislikable character.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The rich people as masked assholes paying poors to fight to the death is a tired cliche and of course they had to make them American for woke reasons. Giving them masks is very The Purge.
1cbb59b57dc101b92528acda486f2e14.jpg

• 1Worf