Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I can't wait for the post mortum on this titled "When crowdfunding goes out of control and you have no accountability" at Gamescon. Presented by Chris Roberts. "The pitfalls of too much!"

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Cmon $150 mil!
Maybe the will get too big to fail! If they time their downfall well, perhaps around election time (of some of the European countries they have offices in atm) they can get a bailout! Curt was just small time hustler compared to these guys, this will be the big leagues. Go all in or go home! Cmon $200 million. I just hope they do not rush things and have the sense to let the dev teams raise their kids before revealing the $200 million of awesome on us.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They've got to wait for the manned mission to mars to make sure the in-game science matches the RL science, for immersion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Emotiv

Silver Squire
What is this - the 4th largest game budget of all time now? Pretty sure they passed Destiny a few million ago. At this point we're either going to get a legitimately good game, or a biblical shitstorm of angry neckbeards.

Win-win really.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
APB was 100 million? WTF. I mean I Loved the game and it was quite fun, but sure didn't feel or look like something that would cost 100 million.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
APB was 100 million? WTF. I mean I Loved the game and it was quite fun, but sure didn't feel or look like something that would cost 100 million.
I also loved that game, even though objectively it was a bad game. I honestly had more fun in APB than most AAA MMOs. I still had fun even when they sold it off to that F2P company.

And yes, it took that much to develop because of some of the worst project management of all time.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Counting marketing costs in cost of development is stupid. Spending 2x or more of what you spent creating the game on advertising doesn't somehow mean you went the extra mile to create a masterpiece, it just means you paid a bunch of actors to spam out TV commercials every 17 minutes (lol modern warfare 2).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As long as I can not mine an Asteroid for precious metal, fill my Holds, bring it back to a Hub, sell it on a local market and see my profit in the bank, I will not consider this a game. Even with a hundreds Planets to explore, with hundreds of Outposts(Procedurally generated), with the most beautiful landscapes, as long as people can not get shinies with their bare hands/mining-lasers, and make use of a persistant Economy that depends on the old MMO adagios of Harvesting, Transport and Trade, this will be nothing but a Tech demo.

Reading Chris Roberts latest newsletter, I miss any mention of these crucial aspects coming anywhere closer to the horizon.

Roberts buzz words: big company numbers, thousands of this or that, high fidelity, "a world to explore"

My buzzwords: mining, minerals, mining-tools, cargo-holds, auctionhouse, markets, Vendors.

Once I can equip a small mining-laser to my Aurora and mine some basic stuff from a basic asteroid, my interest will be truly piqued again.

I would be much more interested in them showing us a list of dozens "soon the be minable" materials, types of mining lasers, types of minable asteroids/debris, then this talk about thousands of planets with hundreds of Outposts. I think they have their priorities set wrong. Lots of MMO folks love to grind their way ahead, why not humor these folks early on?

Give us chumps a pickaxe already!

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Denaut

Trump's Staff
As long as I can not mine an Asteroid for precious metal, fill my Holds, bring it back to a Hub, sell it on a local market and see my profit in the bank, I will not consider this a game. Even with a hundreds Planets to explore, with hundreds of Outposts(Procedurally generated), with the most beautiful landscapes, as long as people can not get shinies with their bare hands/mining-lasers, and make use of a persistant Economy that depends on the old MMO adagios of Harvesting, Transport and Trade, this will be nothing but a Tech demo.

Reading Chris Roberts latest newsletter, I miss any mention of these crucial aspects coming anywhere closer to the horizon.

Roberts buzz words: big company numbers, thousands of this or that, high fidelity, "a world to explore"

My buzzwords: mining, minerals, mining-tools, cargo-holds, auctionhouse, markets, Vendors.

Once I can equip a small mining-laser to my Aurora and mine some basic stuff from a basic asteroid, my interest will be truly piqued again.

I would be much more interested in them showing us a list of dozens "soon the be minable" materials, types of mining lasers, types of minable asteroids/debris, then this talk about thousands of planets with hundreds of Outposts. I think they have their priorities set wrong. Lots of MMO folks love to grind their way ahead, why not humor these folks early on?

I am sure they will have what you are describing since it is trivially easy to do. The hard part of what you are describing is all of the stuff around the physical act of harvesting (no matter how that works), the logistics of moving material, the economics behind what is valuable for what and where, and also the "layout" design of various resources and how they interact with the rest of the game systems. That is the interesting part of a harvesting system, not the part you are describing.

Hell, No Man's Sky had exactly what you describe and everyone hated it because it was almost totally without purpose.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I also loved that game, even though objectively it was a bad game. I honestly had more fun in APB than most AAA MMOs. I still had fun even when they sold it off to that F2P company.

And yes, it took that much to develop because of some of the worst project management of all time.

I've heard stories from people that worked there, I think it was probably the worst managed game project of all time. I also heard that Scottish loan sharks were involved.

• 1Solidarity

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am sure they will have what you are describing since it is trivially easy to do. The hard part of what you are describing is all of the stuff around the physical act of harvesting (no matter how that works), the logistics of moving material, the economics behind what is valuable for what and where, and also the "layout" design of various resources and how they interact with the rest of the game systems. That is the interesting part of a harvesting system, not the part you are describing.

Hell, No Man's Sky had exactly what you describe and everyone hated it because it was almost totally without purpose.
Oh, I agree with that, if those things I mentioned do not come together in a working Economy then there is no use. I worded it poorly. And getting an interesting Economy is the hard part: I also have no idea how that will look in a game with "thousands of planets" and such. I know they are planning something new-fangled with mixing AI with players when it comes to the Economy but no idea if that will work.

I guess I should say: give me an incentive to use my pickaxe and farm materials, so I can use the market and get rich so I can buy an upgrade to buy ?? and become better at ?? and then finally be able to do ??(kill the Alien Queen Mother?). Aka, give me my RPG elements. It's the from Rags to Riches thing, and for that you need an Economy, harvesting, transport, trade, and most of all, a reason to do it.

In Everquest it was simple: at level 1 you were such weak noob, you simply *had* to get that next level; that next piece of rawhide leather; that magic weapon so you could finally hunt wisps and earn some real money; that next spell which would make life so much easier. Level 50, dungeons, Bosses, they were all great incentives that kept you going.

In SC the key elements are still missing of an RPG and MMO. To be sure, I am not interested at all in a flight sim. Those parts, and the worldbuilding seem to get all the attention currently, so for now I have lost interest. If this is the right order for them to do it, then fine. But I still would rather be able to mine some Titanium Ore already right now. :)

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I'd just go ahead and write that off now then, the chances they will have a stable and functioning economy at launch are hovering around 0.

After all these years they don't even seem to have a basic combat loop with a token amount of content and a simple RPG-style progression system working yet, never mind a large scale multi-actor integrated economy simulator. If the first thing is a 10 on the difficulty scale than the economy part is like 500.

Their "world-building" isn't even anything. I scanned the video in the article (from April) and like 95% of it was talking heads (who cares) and the rest looked like some terrain maps with a few rock meshes scattered around. La-de-fucking-da. I can't imagine wtf they were even talking about for 30 minutes after all this time.

Last edited:

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, you seek actual gameplay? .... nod, *snicker*...you are looking for actual gameplay.....

Simulation & the accuracy of their infinite space simulation appears to be their priority, not gameplay mechanics. Gameplay is tacked on last.
The meat and bones of the game nod, you want a REAL game right, with fun stuff to do. I agree, it makes sense to look for it, however...
think they have their priorities set wrong. Lots of MMO folks love to grind their way ahead, why not humor these folks early on?

Why not humour folks early on? Because the jigg would be up and they couldnt reach their scammability goals of $200 million from selling virtual space vapour !

They are almost upfront about the lack of actual game behind the graphics engine too if you know what to look at their on their roadmap! And going by the roadmap (from a few months ago), aparently gameplay is not a priority for them: actual gameplay systems and testing of those systems is..... years ahead on their roadmap lol. It was linked here a few months ago, and quite laughable.

Any actual MMO gameplay, actual travel and use of gameplay systems (buy/trade/mine etc. ie the stuff that has to be FUN behind the pretty eye candy) is not on their roadmap until the the very end. Instead of building and testing features actually USED by gameplay mechanics, they are scamming people with eye candy and will apparently bolt or tack on some gameplay to this empty shell, in a few years.

Who needs gameplay combat, crafting trade and selling testing, it does not pull in the scam buck$ right? I am certain they can tack on some shit late, but it will be just that: shit with respect to $$ put in.

Games like Everquest, Pantheon and Wow have it easy in that respect since they rely pm a proven core MuD gameplay & class system & associated mechanics to start with.

And how about Space Roberts?...... Actual core gameplay systems at END of Alpha? lmao.