Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The whole thing still feels incredably clunky and early techdemo. Logged into Crusader, got out of my booth enduring that *horrible* locked animation where your viewpoint goes all over the place following your headmovements, ran into a wall and clipped right through into Outer Space.

/quit.

Honestly if they do not get rid of those locked animations this game will bomb just for that. Not fun, not cool, not realistic, not anything. If they can't get rid of it because of engine choices then I am afraid they have to start from scratch.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Interesting read, very amusing thanks!

Their next office is opening in the Caymans? Or British Virgin Islands? I hope things do not flame out too early.

Cmon, go go $200 million!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Lots of good details, but it is still Derek Smart lol
If only DS put that kind of effort into getting people to be able to stand his presence enough to actually work for him. He might have been able to make a game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So an extremely prestigious bank went through their books and business practices and gave them a loan against their company's valuation.

I wonder how much the loan was for.

Healthy businesses with tons of cash get loans all the time, but the optics isn't great to the general pleb supporter. I'd be really curious to know how much and why, but they were obviously able to make themselves look healthy enough to get the loan in the first place. Pretty interesting.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I'm confused. In that thread someone mentions licensing from that pdf and it sounds like they don't even own the game anymore, like the bank is giving them a an exclusive license to continue to develop/run the game, but that can be pulled. So they don't own the game until they pay the loan back? Seems insanely crazy when all your money is from "donations".

And how the fuck do you need even more money, I mean seriously it takes some serious mismanagement to need a loan after 5 years and $150 million in donations to even try to finish your game.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm confused. In that thread someone mentions licensing from that pdf and it sounds like they don't even own the game anymore, like the bank is giving them a an exclusive license to continue to develop/run the game, but that can be pulled. So they don't own the game until they pay the loan back? Seems insanely crazy when all your money is from "donations".

And how the fuck do you need even more money, I mean seriously it takes some serious mismanagement to need a loan after 5 years and $150 million in donations to even try to finish your game.
The bank needs collateral in case they default. So yeah they no longer "own" the game, they are beholden to the bank.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well "if" the game goes belly up as expected what value is in the company? I assume people jump ship like it's sinking at that point and other than stuff like computers and such. Their email list?

I don't have access to their books obviously, but where's the value in the company other than the game if/when it actually comes out? Assuming they rent office space/buildings and own the hardware they work on. Not like a factory that goes under they have an actual factory and equipment to sell off.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Worked out just fine for Rhode Island

I'd bet those Russian investors wish they had never bothered with Daybreak either. Also have to wonder who was stupid enough to invest in Pantheon. These investors don't seem to have a clue about the Video Game industry.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well "if" the game goes belly up as expected what value is in the company? I assume people jump ship like it's sinking at that point and other than stuff like computers and such. Their email list?

I don't have access to their books obviously, but where's the value in the company other than the game if/when it actually comes out? Assuming they rent office space/buildings and own the hardware they work on. Not like a factory that goes under they have an actual factory and equipment to sell off.
There are computers and IP and software licenses and furniture and office space.

You can sell off a lot, look into the 38 Studios thing if you are interested in what happens when they fail.

The bank isn't going to get $150M back from selling them off but they will get something out of it.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
There are computers and IP and software licenses and furniture and office space.

You can sell off a lot, look into the 38 Studios thing if you are interested in what happens when they fail.

The bank isn't going to get $150M back from selling them off but they will get something out of it.

I cannot find the old links, but if I recall there was no interest in the unfinished "game" when 38 studios put it up for auction.
They got 1-2 million for all the equipment if I remember?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There was interest, just not at the price Rhode Island was asking. RI didn't seem to understand whoever bought the shit would have to completely retool it since there was no way they'd get the same programmers et al back to work on it. Nowhere near worth the number RI had to bring in to claim a "win" to their voter-base.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean it's clear whoever worked at the bank that analyzed this product clearly has no clue what they're doing. Is the bank listed anywhere? I want to ensure none of my money ever touches them. I'm reasonably certain tossing 150M on black on a roulette table is the better choice for sound investing.

• 1Solidarity

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
gsxasRg.png