Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
If this game ever releases, we should band together and be whale hunting space pirates. Anyone that flies their ships out of port that they paid RL money for gets vaporized, and we get to drink the tears.

Well, maybe we should start teaching our children this. It might be a while.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can't destroy ships. They just become unavailable for a while depending on the insurance you have on it. And you can bet whales will have the super top tier insurance anyway so they get their ships back instantly, or just use another ship.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If this game ever releases, we should band together and be whale hunting space pirates. Anyone that flies their ships out of port that they paid RL money for gets vaporized, and we get to drink the tears.

Well, maybe we should start teaching our children this. It might be a while.
I thought this initially but really, whales have it bad enough in this game.

I'm kind of curious if they'll try a whale-driven economy like archeage such that it's extremely time consuming to compete with whales who will regularly drop thousands of USD instead of grinding for many hours.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I haven't logged in since 3.0 PTU. I have a fairly great computer and I still cannot get any more than about 10-14 FPS. Yes, I get it, its in development, blah blah blah. I was that guy for a while, too. But over $1000 in and still a supporter of this game, but I'm hoping for a little bit more progress.

The whole pushing back the networking development since 2.6 is making me very worried. I really don't want to start thinking DayZ in space.

Edit: I'm a little sad. My most upvoted comment in this subreddit is me being harsh on the developers of my dream game.

Some pathetic people there.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The response to that just below it.

$1000 is too much to give to any video game.
Well $1,000 is too much to give to something that isn't a game yet. I'm sure lots of people have thrown $1,000 at other games. I'm sure people have thrown multi thousands at games like eve online but it's a game. I think they missed that part.

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They should start selling moon ski's for $$$$ to get a hold of this emergent gameplay.

• 10Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The game actually looks amazing visually. Too bad it'll be in pre alpha for another ten years or so...

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i disagree, clipping is terrible, the physics engine is cute but nothing BoTW doesn't offer, this has cost 180.000.000$ so far (twice TW3 budget), i feel we can be slightly critical

• 1Barf

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Cloud Imperium Games is making a comfortable living here by making a game. Therefore, they have no reason to actually finish it.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, switching Engines probably wasnt the smartest thing to do. It may be its saving grace if the game ever releases, and they get better performance and are able to release content faster. But massive changes like that in the production phase just kind of seem.. poorly thought out from the beginning? Every since I saw the move to the new engine, I assumed that they ran into a problem similar to EverQuest Next or Star Wars.

EQ:N would load anything and everything in the direction you're looking, regardless if you can see it or not (caves in the ground for example). They couldnt fix it without a system revamp of some sort. I believe it was because of how Voxels would render, so a system revamp would require them to gut the Voxel system? Feel free to clear that up for me. Star Wars original plan was to have three to five major zones in a cluster that you could warp to. You would be able to seamlessly go from the planet, to the station, to a zone with a space battle. The only loading would be the initial warp into the cluster of zones. Once they saw how shitty the engine was in alpha, they pulled that whole system, scrapped it, and recycled art assets. That engine could barely handle a pvp match of 5 players.

I doubt Ill give Star Citizen much of a chance. Very cool looking game in the moments it shines. But all that stuff between those great moments looks super boring and monotonous. That trailer where you're driving across a barren planet for 5 minutes to kill a handful of bandits doesnt seem very riveting. The large sandworm was a great cap to that clip, but thats when they should have been able to call their ship to do a fly by and roast that ass for the ultimate trailer ending. Shit, even WoW has your ship nuking shit for you from somewhere off in space. Regardless though, I hope the game does release. The piles of money that this studio is spending to figure out certain logistical problems will go a long ways in helping other companies skip past those problems and release a better product.

Woffer

Lord Nagafen Raider
i disagree, clipping is terrible, the physics engine is cute but nothing BoTW doesn't offer, this has cost 180.000.000$ so far (twice TW3 budget), i feel we can be slightly critical

To be fair they've raised 180 million but we don't know how much of that they've spent yet...

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, switching Engines probably wasnt the smartest thing to do. It may be its saving grace if the game ever releases, and they get better performance and are able to release content faster. But massive changes like that in the production phase just kind of seem.. poorly thought out from the beginning? Every since I saw the move to the new engine, I assumed that they ran into a problem similar to EverQuest Next or Star Wars.
It's not a massive change. Lumberyard is built from CryEngine after Amazon bought it.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's not a massive change. Lumberyard is built from CryEngine after Amazon bought it.

The articles that were linked explained the transition, but we cant deny that change didnt set them back "now". Learning curve, small bits of code that need to be changed etc. Again, not something that should have been done during production. At least, imo.