Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Soygen said:
So I'm watching them demo the game. He gets up out of bed and you can click 'make coffee' and the coffee machine brews coffee. The crowd starts clapping. These dorks are easily impressed, aren't they?

Wait till they code in "add creamer"

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't followed it all. I keep seeing pics and videos ocassionally. But do they have at least a base for an actual besides the you have to go to do the bathroom and other such stuff I see from time to time?

I mean most "games" I've followed before release have a base for the game. FPS, PVP, base building and such. Hey I'm going to play SC when it comes out it looks like a badass "XX" type game. And space game is not a base for a game.
Yes.

I haven't played since the very first tech demo they let buyers in on, but there's a playable game right now. And they're adding to that game.

Of the myriad problems I could describe from just casually observing it, the big problem is that they are producing content/features/progress at a glacial pace. Eventually the funding will run out and I don't think they'll get to anything resembling what the hopium is promising by then.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The feature everyone has been asking for, has been added to the tech demo: Face Tracking!

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck...I know it had its glitches but...that looks really fucking good.

I do think that eventually this game will come out. It just seems like a lot of work and effort looks to be going into this game. That video showed a lot and I can only imagine how much fun it would be to explore all of these very detailed worlds. Yes it was still buggy but every year those bugs are getting nipped more and more. They undoubtedly bit off more than they could chew but I think it will go down as one heck of an ambitious attempt at making a "World" that feels alive.

Now whether or not my computer could play this game at more than 5 FPS is another question. Maybe them taking so long will allow for cheaper computers that can run the game when it does release in 5+ years.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I do think that eventually this game will come out. It just seems like a lot of work and effort looks to be going into this game. That video showed a lot and I can only imagine how much fun it would be to explore all of these very detailed worlds. Yes it was still buggy but every year those bugs are getting nipped more and more. They undoubtedly bit off more than they could chew but I think it will go down as one heck of an ambitious attempt at making a "World" that feels alive.

Now whether or not my computer could play this game at more than 5 FPS is another question. Maybe them taking so long will allow for cheaper computers that can run the game when it does release in 5+ years.

Yeah, they definitely bit off more than they could chew I believe as far as the attention to detail goes (see crowd going wild when dude made a cup of coffee in the gameplay demo). Here's the thing about this game though i'm liking: yes, they are taking FAR, FAR, FAR too long to come out with all these planned features, and the game itself, and yet...I appreciate the fact that they are still making progress in a way, if that makes sense. Like, these guys have been making promises to it's player-base, and sure it takes them years but they eventually deliver, but it's really starting to look like it's coming together now, albeit slowly. I heard the whole "make your webcam map your IRL facial features so they will appear on your characters face in game" feature was implemented, and sure it's working like shit right now, but they are at least trying.

Then you look at a game like, say, Pantheon, who's been making promises and been in development for years as well; every time they show new footage i'm just left wondering, "what the fuck have they been doing all this time? it doesn't look like they've developed a god damn thing but a keen sense of bullshitting people into thinking they are making progress on this game."

I've got absolutely zero dollars invested in Star Citizen, so if it fails it's just lost hopes for me, but i'm definitely more hopeful for it now than I was a month ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, they definitely bit off more than they could chew I believe as far as the attention to detail goes (see crowd going wild when dude made a cup of coffee in the gameplay demo). Here's the thing about this game though i'm liking: yes, they are taking FAR, FAR, FAR too long to come out with all these planned features, and the game itself, and yet...I appreciate the fact that they are still making progress in a way, if that makes sense. Like, these guys have been making promises to it's player-base, and sure it takes them years but they eventually deliver, but it's really starting to look like it's coming together now, albeit slowly. I heard the whole "make your webcam map your IRL facial features so they will appear on your characters face in game" feature was implemented, and sure it's working like shit right now, but they are at least trying.

Then you look at a game like, say, Pantheon, who's been making promises and been in development for years as well; every time they show new footage i'm just left wondering, "what the fuck have they been doing all this time? it doesn't look like they've developed a god damn thing but a keen sense of bullshitting people into thinking they are making progress on this game."

I've got absolutely zero dollars invested in Star Citizen, so if it fails it's just lost hopes for me, but i'm definitely more hopeful for it now than I was a month ago.

You're an idiot. Pantheon is more of a game than Star Citizen is at this point, and that's without 300 million dollars and over 100 people in five different head quarters working on it.

• 1Salty
  • 1Seriously?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The feature everyone has been asking for, has been added to the tech demo: Face Tracking!

I showed my wife this video. She almost spit her water out with the poker face look. I like how he feels the need to let out his inner insane.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
WE LANDED ON THE MOON!

giphy.gif

• 1WTF

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

haha, part 2 basically explains why people have issues with SC at the end.

The game isn't completely functional.

• 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Noone has tried how FOIP looks while filming their butthole?

Seems hard to believe.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Yea.

Didn't ever think I'd say this, but this seems like a job for Vanessa Vanessa

Star citizen whales prolly a good target for online sexworkers.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
That is the best euphemism for unplayable and empty that I have heard in a while. :D

My attachment to this game is mainly amusement and like...300--400 USD I think. I rarely, if ever, log in. My goal is to play it a bit when it releases, if ever.

That being said, lets be honest, this is a game in alpha / beta development that you can observe in process so:

Unplayable isn't correct, you CAN play the game but it isn't finished and it reflects GENERALLY the state of a game you would expect in its alpha / beta phase.

Empty isn't correct, it has stuff to do in it, about as much stuff as I would generally expect from an alpha / beta game.

The rest isn't directed at you, just my thoughts on all the people that salt on the project.

---

Maybe I'm just "Meh" from all the alphas and betas I've done over the years but people are reacting to this game in such a harsh way and I just kinda laugh. I've seen games "release" that have less content than Star Citizen and no innovations at all. 90% of what I saw on E3 floor previous to the last decade was dumpster-fire garbage and it saw a release. All of those people had traditional funding and publishers backing a non-dangerous investment (that usually flopped).

Here you have a game studio that doesn't have an external publisher, their funding is VERY non-traditional (generally) and their product is about as non-canned as you can get. This is why I find it so comical that people get all salty about this game and it's general "Current" state, it's a near completely non-traditional project with a pipe-dream attached. It wouldn't, at all, be shocking if the project failed before it's completion, why do people constantly talk about it's potential failure as some sort of personal revelation?

Just sit back and watch the ride LOL.

The SC ride is like a small time version of the Trump ride:

You had Derek Smart try to sue SC
You had some pretty major Eve orgs bitch out
You have accusations of Scam
You have pay to win
You have broken promises
You have internal office strife
You have a boss that married his secretary
You have a boss that hired his brother as a major role

I mean really, after all of this people are still like, "HAHA but it may never come out!" no shit Nostradamus, LOL any other groundbreaking predictions you wanna make?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The game has only been in early alpha/beta stage for 6? 8? 10? years, and 200? million dollars.

Give them a break guys.

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I mean really, after all of this people are still like, "HAHA but it may never come out!" no shit Nostradamus, LOL any other groundbreaking predictions you wanna make?

I'll date any movie star you name, before this game launches.

You in for 1000$?

Pretty sure I can date Taylor Swift in 2079.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

Dude you should have said this was a Robbaz video! So pleasantly surprised. Robbaz's Skyrim thanksgiving is still one of the best videos on youtube.