Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Fucker

Log Wizard
Lemme ask those who have recently played this a question:

Does it feel like you're playing a game that's been in development for 9 years and costs $250 million dollars?

$49 million spent on the game and $201 million on Roberts' giant mountain of coke that he skis down every day?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
After a week of playing this, I am done for now. I'll probably try it again when they add a little bit more persistence and new gameplay loops. With 40+ or so hours I put in this week, and the 40+ hours I played in 2015, I got my starter package money's worth even if they never release SC and SQ42, but would still feel like I was scammed though. :)

bytes

Molten Core Raider
$49 million spent on the game and $201 million on Roberts' giant mountain of coke that he skis down every day?
You severely underestimate the price of cocaine my friend. According to businessinsider.com, the price for a pure gram of cocaine is fairly stable at 150$/gram. That would put the price of one kilogram of cocaine at 150,000$. 200 million dollar would roughly afford 1.300kg of cocaine. For the sake of argument, lets be generous and say Roberts got a great deal at 200 million dollar for 1.500kg of cocaine. Let us further assume that powdered cocaine has similar properties to regular flour. Loosely packed flour apparently comes in at 600kg/m³, meaning Roberts would be able to afford 2.5m³ of pure cocaine. As you can see in the attached graphic, this makes for a rather poor 'giant mountain' to ski on, a fact which Roberts it reported to be sad about (see the single tear shed). It's not all bad though, atleast everybody at Cloud Imperium Games can get some fresh, hot and well-brewed coffee during this cold season.

cocaine mountain.png

• 12Worf
  • 6Like
Reactions: 17 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
There is a good game out there called Elite Dangerous that is way better than this :)

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You severely underestimate the price of cocaine my friend. According to businessinsider.com, the price for a pure gram of cocaine is fairly stable at 150$/gram. That would put the price of one kilogram of cocaine at 150,000$. 200 million dollar would roughly afford 1.300kg of cocaine. For the sake of argument, lets be generous and say Roberts got a great deal at 200 million dollar for 1.500kg of cocaine. Let us further assume that powdered cocaine has similar properties to regular flour. Loosely packed flour apparently comes in at 600kg/m³, meaning Roberts would be able to afford 2.5m³ of pure cocaine. As you can see in the attached graphic, this makes for a rather poor 'giant mountain' to ski on, a fact which Roberts it reported to be sad about (see the single tear shed). It's not all bad though, atleast everybody at Cloud Imperium Games can get some fresh, hot and well-brewed coffee during this cold season.

View attachment 243569

Best post in this thread, nice work A++

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

prescient

Silver Knight of the Realm

Nobody buys a kilo at gram prices. With a $200M purchase I doubt you are paying more than a few grand a kilo.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Nobody buys a kilo at gram prices. With a $200M purchase I doubt you are paying more than a few grand a kilo.

A kilo of pure 100% uncut charlie in Colombia is around 15-30k (depending on many factors) if you buy it source in Colombia, it's been stable and that price for the last 20+ years. You can buy other variants with varying qualities like base cocaine, as in half processed for less money although its pretty much the same drug just much harder to conceal as its wet and in paste form, although much more addictive than it's powder counterpart as its smoked like crack and its much purer than any crack you could buy.

Obviously a kilo of pure equates to 10+ kilos by the time it hits the street and ends up in crackpipes and banknotes with washes and cuts.

The costs come from moving the product, you probably can't buy a kilo of uncut pure coke in the US for under 50K and the further it travels the more it costs and more it gets cut as a general rule of thumb. I'd say 50k a kilo is still the average as the prices really haven't shifted since the 90s for most drugs, weeds an exception as it's purity/thc content got way better and its kinda legal in lots of places.

So yeah nobody with 200m is buying it at 150 a gram. They'd pay around 50 bucks a gram for a gram that is probably 10x more potent than the average street gram.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Tons of interesting stuff about the tech they're using for their tech demo game

Watching shit like that it’s easy how people get suckered into this. It doesn’t explain the thousands of dollars for a ship behavior but I can understand people buying into the game.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I just realized, and it just occurred to me that Cloud Imperium has an office 1 mile from my house in my small town of Bee Cave. Anyway, carry on.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I just realized, and it just occurred to me that Cloud Imperium has an office 1 mile from my house in my small town of Bee Cave. Anyway, carry on.

You should make some spaceships in Second Life and try selling them to employees every day when they leave the office.

• 1Worf