Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I dunno, the movie accusation seems like such a small portion of Smart's overall rant that I guess I don't care if it's true or not. Surely there's enough ammunition without that...just seems like an odd rumor, and an odd thing to get hung up on.
Do not question Star Jesus.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I won't say whether he's right or wrong, but at this point, the entirety of his blog and his tweets are about Star Citizen.

He's getting far more exposure now then he ever did about his own games...he's gonna enjoy his 15 minutes of fame, and milk it for all of it's worth.
smile.png

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Let me see if I understand this..

Derek Smart is ranting about someone not finishing a game on time? The same Derek Smart who claimed to have a PhD in a subject so advanced, he claimed his thesis and whereabouts of his doctorate were classified by the CIA? The same Derek Smart who spent nearly 6 years delivering the horrific and broken Battlecruise 3000AD, which when Take 2 released it, wouldn't even run. As in, the installed game did not function at all.

And people give a shit about what he says? Derek Smart takes "epic fuckup" to an entirely new level.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_110907.png

Sauce:http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/09/st...-the-long-con/

Now I would like to see the evidence of the film being shot on RSI's Canon 5D cameras (which Smart says exists in the invoices but he didn't link to them), and I would also like to know if Brian Dickson was currently employed by RSI at the time he wrote the first draft, but even without those points, there's a very strong implication that backer money was used.
I don't really understand this situation here so you'll have to be patient with me. The only evidence I see here is that:
1. Gemini 42 is owned by RSI.
2. They shot stuff for some secret film that may or may not be a side project at a Gemini 42 owned studio?

Is there anything else here?

I dunno, the movie accusation seems like such a small portion of Smart's overall rant that I guess I don't care if it's true or not. Surely there's enough ammunition without that...just seems like an odd rumor, and an odd thing to get hung up on.
I agree, this was the only substantive thing that Kriptini has claimed evidence of which is why I asked about it.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I see kriptini is still being a little shit. Stop giving serek dmart credit for anything. He's automatically never right.
Attachment 110925

Let me see if I understand this..

Derek Smart is ranting about someone not finishing a game on time? The same Derek Smart who claimed to have a PhD in a subject so advanced, he claimed his thesis and whereabouts of his doctorate were classified by the CIA? The same Derek Smart who spent nearly 6 years delivering the horrific and broken Battlecruise 3000AD, which when Take 2 released it, wouldn't even run. As in, the installed game did not function at all.

And people give a shit about what he says? Derek Smart takes "epic fuckup" to an entirely new level.
Should I just sig this?

You could argue that as he's, in fact, an expect in fucking up space games therefore he knows what that looks like.
smile.png
You're joking about this but this is how I actually feel lol.

I don't really understand this situation here so you'll have to be patient with me. The only evidence I see here is that:
1. Gemini 42 is owned by RSI.
2. They shot stuff for some secret film that may or may not be a side project at a Gemini 42 owned studio?

Is there anything else here?
The Director of Photography listed CIG on his resume. "Not knowing what to list for the production company" is inane, the production company is listed on EVERY SINGLE SLATE for the entirety of the filming process, and if the DP doesn't happen to catch that, he's blind (which would make her a very bad DP). He probably wasn't in on the scam.

Gemini 42lists three production credits on their IMDB page: one of them seems like some kind of documentary series for Star Citizen, one of them is a Star Citizen talk show, and there are no details on whatThe Wonderful World of Star Citizenis but if I had to guess, it's something to do with Star Citizen.

It would be reasonable to assume that all of this stuff was paid for using backer money, which is fine, because this would be part of what the backers were financing. But when it comes toElle, a few questions are raised,

Who worked on Elle?

Where did Elle get its funding?

We already know that Brian Dickson was their DP, at least for the first draft. Smart refers to him as an ex-employee, but the context is unclear. Was he an ex-employee at the time of the shooting, or was he on payroll but is now an ex-employee?

And if hewasstill on CIG's payroll, where was his pay coming from?

We know that Gemini 42 only exists because of backer money used to fund it so it could make videos for Star Citizen or whatever. This means equipment and stuff was purchased with backer money. Using that equipment for somethingotherthan Star Citizen can be argued to be morally dubious, because it's not like more money needs to be spent to use the equipment a second time. Staff on the other hand, is making salary or hourly and needs to be continually paid. My theory is that Gemini 42 employees were making Elle while still on CIG's payroll, and that money came from the Kickstarter backers.

Consider this: if the movie came totally out of Sandi's pocket ("all extras I personally paid"), why is CIG listed as the production company?

Blogoblarg_sl said:
Further, liability, insurance, SAG/AFTRA, signatory costs are all assumed by the company since Sandi, not being signatory, can't personally sign anything related toanymovie shoot. Only the company - of which she is an officer - can be a signatory. That's how it works.
Are we supposed to believe that Gemini 42 signed on all of these invoices but the money really came out ofSandi'spocket?

L. O. L.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
Aaaaand nobody fucking cares as long as they end up making a fun space game.

Seriously, who gives a shit? They make enough money in a day of funding to misappropriate it however they want. Make movies, buy hookers and blow, the backers don't care as long as they (eventually) get what they paid for.

Variise

N00b
Actually it's entirely possible that she funded the film project out of pocket as an Angel Investor. Did she? I don't fucking know. Neither do you. Not without a huge pile of paper to sort through and an expert to look them over that can make sense of it.

Throw enough shit at a wall you are bound to find something that sticks even if it's just a smear. At that point someone like DS will attempt to paint everything with that brush. Which is exactly what he is trying to do.

So is it true? Good question. However if you are wrong it's character assassination. You open yourself up to a shit load of liability. A massive corporation or government can get away with it easily. An individual with a highly checkered past not so much.

Anyway still not even slightly concerned. Wake me up in 18 months to see how we are doing with the game. I'll start giving a shit at that point.

Variise

N00b
Aaaaand nobody fucking cares as long as they end up making a fun space game.

Seriously, who gives a shit? They make enough money in a day of funding to misappropriate it however they want. Make movies, buy hookers and blow, the backers don't care as long as they (eventually) get what they paid for.
Oh man if people buying EA games knew what the fuck EA execs were doing with their game budgets. Holy shit would they be pissed. Some of them could easily have been mistaken for big time Financial Industry types. Identical mentality. Not sure if things have calmed down since. Haven't been following EA that much since SWTOR shit the bed but apparently it's a problem at the top across the board. Hookers and Blow? Bitch please.. that's on a Monday.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Hookers and Blow? Bitch please.. that's on a Monday.
Never pay a hooker in advance.. LOL.

To me, the whole deal with RSI is the perfect example of why a pre-paid model is broken. People are paying him money based upon what they've imagined the game might be. Even if Chris Roberts delivers on everything he's promised, there will still be a bunch of butt-hurt people flaming him because it isn't what they imagined it would be.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Oh man if people buying EA games knew what the fuck EA execs were doing with their game budgets.
The difference here is that EA isn't running a Kickstarter. Their investors aren't average joes, their investors are companies like Comcast who are already swimming in money.

Where is this fucking Elle movie anyway, since that's all I'm reading about in this thread?
It's either not a public release or it's not done yet.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
EA is a publicly traded company invested in by average joes.
To be honest, I don't even have any sympathy for the people who invested in Star Citizen. On their first Kickstarter, I thought, "I don't think they're gonna pull it off, but I guess it's a cool idea." On their second Kickstarter, I thought, "This is a scam."

Mighty No. 9, Yooka Laylee, Bloodstained, Shenmue III, Star Citizen... all of these "big names" coming back to make a game like back from "the good 'ol days" even though they haven't made a game in years, they're all turning out/going to turn out the same.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people who invested in either SC or EA can get bent. Or maybe people who invested in SC cannotget bent, because I heard that they're giving out refunds now.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
is this officially a scam? I never really followed as it's not my kind of game.
It's reached a point where it makes good click bait on the chance that it turns into another 38 studios. You also have those wanting some good old schadenfreude. And last you have those that listen to Derrick Smart lol.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember when he showed up on the Alagon project. That guys is like the fucking undertaker lol