Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
is this officially a scam? I never really followed as it's not my kind of game.
I don't think it was originally intended to be a scam. I think somewhere along the line of development, Chris Roberts woke up and thought, "There's no way in hell this is happening." But now they're keeping it going because hey, you can sell people pictures of spaceships for hundreds of bucks and fund your wife's indie movie on the side, so why wouldn't you?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think it was originally intended to be a scam. I think somewhere along the line of development, Chris Roberts woke up and thought, "There's no way in hell this is happening." But now they're keeping it going because hey, you can sell people pictures of spaceships for hundreds of bucks and fund your wife's indie movie on the side, so why wouldn't you?
You're being a dipshit again.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
You're being a dipshit again.
I have nothing to be mad about, I didn't back a timebomb.

rrr_img_110937.jpg

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
No one here is mad about the kickstarter it cares really. But you look like a dipshit still.

Seriously white fucks sides with dmart.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't even know what Draegan was saying. Draegan, put the phone down bro.

Kriptini, I'm not sure what your angle is on this so I'll assume it's schaedenfreude, which is an angle I frequently share in. Even though I look forward to a legitimate Star Citizen game you can bet that if this thing ends in disaster I will be cashing in on the fallout from the 5+ figure 'investors' like I did the2012 election(Where the GOP was confident they'd win until the bitter end). However, I think you're jumping the gun here.

You're taking a few confusing bits of information, building up a shaky theory from them and then running with it as evidence that the shit is failing. You're premature bro, you have to wait until it does fail and the most staunch supporters recognize the failure. You're going to the bookie before the fight saying, "I KNOW who is going to win, let me cash in my enjoyment from misery chips!". When you do this you don't look like the one sane guy pushing away the koolaid, you look like the guy on the street corner saying the end is near!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You know, this seaweed health popcorn stuff is not half bad. It smells like fish food but it still tastes pretty good.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wait you mean people are just realizing that they are scammed on a majority of Kickstarters where you do not receive profit sharing and "pay for product" in advance as you get suckered in to make a ton of money for the company/man not backing any of the financials (Or very little) on their own?

NO way.

Here is an idea, quit giving money to kickstarter projects. People will succeed with a new idea and force themselves through the pain of financing and hardships on their own (making them 100000% more accountable for their actions throughout the process) and it will result in a much higher end product/service. When it isn't their money on the line, they could give two shits.

This message is brought to you by the new Utnayan news show "Capitalism and Common sense". Hey I should start a kickstarter for that. A New Internet show. You guys can all fund my beer drinking and snacks, I'll post on the internet about how not to be a moron with your money or get taken advantage of once a week.

$10 - Tier 1 - "A white piece of paper ripped from a mead notebook with "You are a moron. Thanks for your $10" written in Blue Marker.
$20 - Tier 2 - The same as above. Placed in a $.94 aluminum picture frame.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Shipping on the frame would cut into the profits there. Make that a $30 tier.
check out our second kickstarter to enable local production and distribution centers, avoiding those unnecessary costs

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I feel like kickstarter has its place for physical products already prototyped. It's basically buying into initial production runs to get a higher RoI (free stuff). For instance, a board game made up with production lined up and all the pieces made up, I don't have a problem with that because the design and "engineering" part is done.

Video games, movies, Anita scams, music that's "promised to be developed" sold on nothing but over hyped pedigrees is one step over the line into dream territory.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Here is an idea, quit giving money to kickstarter projects. People will succeed with a new idea and force themselves through the pain of financing and hardships on their own (making them 100000% more accountable for their actions throughout the process) and it will result in a much higher end product/service. When it isn't their money on the line, they could give two shits.
I don't know about accountability, really. Brad and VG finally had the funding spigot turned off on them, but not before they had bellied up to the funding bar with aplomb. And Brad still was given a chance back at SOE, but I still haven't heard a definitive description of why he left (Smed wasn't happy with his performance, Brad didn't want to stay because he wanted to make EQ1 2.0, etc etc etc).

There are probably a number of other non-Kickstarter examples where people weren't really held accountable and still flit about the industry like Lead Dev hobos, but I can't think of anything else right now.

I would agree with not giving KS funds to MMOs specifically (too risky) and only giving to reputable studios and developers. There does seem to be a lot of grey area for me though.
No one is mad about the kickstarter or really cares.
Seriously who the fuck sides with dmart.

/racistphone
I always kinda hoped that Derek would surprise everyone and release some genre-redefining game that would blow us all out of the water and make him a billionaire.

It wasn't a realistic hope whatsoever, but oh well.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
I contribute to kickstarters that I think might turn into a fun game if they're made by people I actually trust, but I never commit the kind of money that would piss me off. Like today, I backed Jordan Weissman's new Battletech game.. $25 gets me a game if it ships, and if not, it's $25. Big deal. I'm not going to lose sleep, or not eat, or get evicted because I spent $25 on the promise of some entertainment next year.

I still may buy into Star Citizen someday when it becomes a full game.. I didn't earlier simply because I think their pricing model is fucked up, and Chris Roberts is possibly insane. Not Richard Garriott insane, but still crazy regardless.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I thought I was buying Freelancer 2 but really I was buying FREE MONEY when I sold my pledge last year as it became increasingly obvious it would never leave the selling imaginary spaceships stage and be an actual game

I thought I was buying Freelancer 2 but really I was buying FREE MONEY when I sold my pledge last year as it became increasingly obvious it would never leave the selling imaginary spaceships stage and be an actual game
Pretty much this. All you can do is wait for the Space whale rage and the SEC to step in with hard rules, probably banning crowdfunding for a good long time.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
LOL, I'm sure Derek will be pleased...Star Citizen put up a new concept ship for sale...concept means they just approve the design document for it, there is no actual to put in your hangar, they have no actual work on it. It looks like they pulled about 350K since the ship went for sale.

For all of the gloom and doom about the game...people still spend shitload of money on it.