Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Blackwulf

N00b
I think the scale seems off for two reasons. It's only 1000 km in diameter (the little planet) and the ship is going quite fast at first. It's clear they haven't implemented any atmospheric effects on the ship upon entry. Hopefully that will come.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Personally I don't want to have blinding re-entry effects for several minutes everytime I have to land on a planet. It'd make for a cool video and would be fun for the first dozen times. But after that no thanks, just get me to where the fun is.

They released that video, then Chris Roberts tried to stream the game for a bit and it took him like 8 minutes to get logged in, he played for 10, the game crashed, and the stream ended.

Still, its good to see some substantive progress on getting the procedural generation universe shit going on.

I logged in the other day to the hangar and had two ships in there for some reason, I thought I'd only have that one blue ship you got with the entry level package. Got a solid 60 fps in the hangar. Didn't do much. Climbed in the cockpit of one of the ships and logged out, but its the first time since I put money down on it like 8 months ago that I even bothered logging in, so that's a step forward as well.
don't forget that CR told pretty much everyone his password on stream and then raged at the UI of his game for a bit, which he apparently saw for the first time...

Blackwulf

N00b
Yeah, minimal effects would be best, and keep ships maneuverable. Considering they all have shields, and gravity generators are a thing, it shouldn't be impossible to explain the "magic."

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Personally I don't want to have blinding re-entry effects for several minutes everytime I have to land on a planet. It'd make for a cool video and would be fun for the first dozen times. But after that no thanks, just get me to where the fun is.
This is why all the seamless talk sounds cooler in hype than it will be in actual practice. I'd be okay with many planets just having a [time-compressed] auto-pilot or cut-screen sequence that loads and lands. Then have some planets where trying to survive entering the atmosphere and landing safely is actually part of the space simulator aspect of the game. No shame is just admitting certain aspects of the game won't be fun or feasible, because atmosphere entry and landing all seem like something that could end up too 'hard' for a lot of gamers if they go realistic, or too mundane and simplistic for others, and tedious either way.

Just like I don't want to manually flip a ton of switches during a 5+ minute systems check every time I want to launch a ship even though it would be realistic and sometimes even cool.

We know they can't get away with making most things as challenging or complex as they are realistically, so the next best thing is to build in a cool enough distraction during automation that players won't care.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This is how I feel about basically this entire game. Sure, being able to walk around inside a big multi-crew ship is neat, and going down all the ladders and airlocks to get to your station is "immersive", but that shit is all going to get old as fuck about the 2nd time you have to do it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have zero problems with 2 minutes from orbit to landing. I do not want to spend 30 minutes every time I want to land somewhere. Realism makes things shitty a lot of the time. That is my major concern for this game, realism looks good in tech demos but I see myself getting real tired of going through a realistic airlock and things like that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is why all the seamless talk sounds cooler in hype than it will be in actual practice. I'd be okay with many planets just having a [time-compressed] auto-pilot or cut-screen sequence that loads and lands. Then have some planets where trying to survive entering the atmosphere and landing safely is actually part of the space simulator aspect of the game. No shame is just admitting certain aspects of the game won't be fun or feasible, because atmosphere entry and landing all seem like something that could end up too 'hard' for a lot of gamers if they go realistic, or too mundane and simplistic for others, and tedious either way.

Just like I don't want to manually flip a ton of switches during a 5+ minute systems check every time I want to launch a ship even though it would be realistic and sometimes even cool.

We know they can't get away with making most things as challenging or complex as they are realistically, so the next best thing is to build in a cool enough distraction during automation that players won't care.
I don't think the seamless nature prevents fast transitions though. You should be able to essentially warp speed to the mesophere above where you want to land, go at 'zoom speed' (I don't know what terms they are calling the different speeds) to the troposphere (20s re-entry) and then engage autopilot to take you the last couple kilometers in a manner similar to Mcconaughey's landings.

This method, of course, is the most expensive because you're replacing a 1 minute pre-built cinematic with loading all the levels of that star system to the planet to the surface to the loading area. The video already had this, it's just much longer.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure hotshots will be able to land at full cruise speed and then cut their engines to combat maneuvering speed directly into landing speed just before having to settle down. There's a reason there's 3 different flight modes in addition to quantum travel.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have zero problems with 2 minutes from orbit to landing. I do not want to spend 30 minutes every time I want to land somewhere. Realism makes things shitty a lot of the time. That is my major concern for this game, realism looks good in tech demos but I see myself getting real tired of going through a realistic airlock and things like that.
This. Video was awesome, but there's a line between everything trying to be realistic and it still being completely bored and tired of it after seeing it for the first time. Hopefully they can find a middle ground.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This. Video was awesome, but there's a line between everything trying to be realistic and it still being completely bored and tired of it after seeing it for the first time. Hopefully they can find a middle ground.
How about just adding something that every other developer has done since 1980. An escape key to get past it if people don't want to view/do it.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Have to agree, I remember back in Elite where whenever I had to dock, I pushed autopilot, got up to get a drink or take a piss. I think I sat through the Blue Danube about 10x before it got really old.

I don't care how good the music is, or how stunning the world looks... there's a very good chance landing is going to get boring pretty fast. Even No Man's Sky with all the diverse worlds will probably hit me exactly the same way which makes me a bit sad inside.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
It's not a cutscene.
which is the problem. Along with all the other tedious boring shit they added for "realism." black outs/red outs, cargo handling, repairing, refueling, manning individual stations in multiuser ships, etc, etc, etc.

Like I said it's great as a tech demo but bad for game play. Hopefully you can skip the boring shit, it looks like it's shaping up to be an awesome game otherwise.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't have a problem with a 2mins landing, assuming you went straight for the ground. That would make a lot more sense. Sure atmospheric re-entry is done slowly in real life and shit but that's without fancy space tech shit, in this game you could perfectly explain that the spaceship are capable of entering atmosphere straight in. So you'd have a 2mins landing still, but mostly because it takes 2 mins from the atmosphere entry to the ground in a straight line, rather than 20secs. Or maybe make it last 1min instead, but I think it kinda should be longer if you're gonna go all orbiting entry and going slightly downward and shit like the video.

Unless you make it mandatory to do those slow entry otherwise your ship burns and melts, then leave it like that for gameplay reasons.

But could just be because of the small size of the "planet" or whatever it is, if it was bigger maybe it'd take longer.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Have to agree, I remember back in Elite where whenever I had to dock, I pushed autopilot, got up to get a drink or take a piss. I think I sat through the Blue Danube about 10x before it got really old.

I don't care how good the music is, or how stunning the world looks... there's a very good chance landing is going to get boring pretty fast. Even No Man's Sky with all the diverse worlds will probably hit me exactly the same way which makes me a bit sad inside.

Enjoy the flashbacks!
biggrin.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think my initial hip shot of 2 minutes is still too long. UNLESS there is real gameplay involved.

If you're doing a hot landing on a pirate planet with atmospheric threats you can avoid (giant mosquitos, pterodactyls, whatever) I don't mind having a prolonged landing time. Just like I didn't mind the actual time it took me to travel through kithicor woods at level 20. It's those threatless, gameplay-less runs through East >North>West Karana that I numlocked my way through that are a problem.

If it's a threatless landing, just let me hit autopilot and give me a 10 second landing sequence however you want to do it.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
How often does a planetary landing come up during the average play session? I think the answer is relevant to this topic. I don't mind taking a griffon now and then in WoW for example, and it takes anywhere from half a minute to 5+ minutes. If planetary landing is uncommon enough I wouldn't be bothered by it.