Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

agripa

Molten Core Raider
The actual story. Pretty much sums it up. But we've heard it over and over.

Rough playable modes—alphas, not betas—are used to raise hopes and illustrate work being done. And Roberts has enticed gamers with a steady stream of hype, including promising a vast, playable universe with “100 star systems.” But most of the money is gone, and the game is still far from finished. At the end of 2017, for example, Roberts was down to just $14 million in the bank. He has since raised more money. Those 100 star systems? He has not completed a single one. So far he has two mostly finished planets, nine moons and an asteroid.

Why not make it one solar system, nix the light speed travel and make it a la The Expanse. At least you might be able to deliver on your promises.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If you deliver on your promise the money stops flowing in. Keep the hotdog on a stick and holding it in front of them. Then the money keeps coming in. Why give them the cow when the milk is free.

Gonna guess once the game actually gets published as an actual game the party is over.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a space game set in a single solar system. People don't realise just how big a solar system can be, and it is easy to make a large one with 12-15 planets, a couple of asteroid belts, then a "lawless" expanse of an Oort/kuiper cloud with pirate bases and renegades. Half a dozen gas Giants each with 1-2 large moons and dozens of smaller ones. 2-3 main rocky planets with different climates. Add in a few large space stations and many more smaller and you have huge potential.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I remember many years ago( 7-8? ) when I was playing big in World of Tanks that people on our rank teams yapping about this nonstop. Some of them invested THOUSANDS and would constantly say that in a 1-2 years all other games would be dead and the investment was solid. I wonder how those idiots feel now?
Hopium is a hell of a drug.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Wait ... wat ...

On a summer Saturday in 2007, a trespasser slipped by a security gate and entered Chris Roberts’ L.A. home. Inside, Madison Peterson, Roberts’ former common-law wife, with whom he had a long on-and-off relationship, was startled and feared her young daughter could be harmed or kidnapped. Peterson later identified the trespasser as Sandi Gardiner, who is now Roberts’ wife (for the second time) and a cofounder of Cloud Imperium. Roberts reported the incident to police, and a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years.
“Ms. Gardiner has an unnatural and irrational fascination with my daughter and me,” Peterson wrote. “I constantly and continually look to make sure my daughter and I are not watched.”
In a court-filed declaration he signed at the time, Roberts said Gardiner had also visited Peterson’s San Diego home and once became violent and tried to strangle him. “I believed that if she had a gun she would have killed me,” Roberts said in the declaration. “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.”
Dude, that lunatic-stalker pussy is hard to pass up.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Dude, that lunatic-stalker pussy is hard to pass up.

OC

• 13Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 13 users

yaph

Molten Core Raider
There's been a free fly thing going on for this that I've been checking out for a few days.

Join server and see I can try out 5 or so different ships. I think it's been a few years since I've played the alpha so I pick the mining ship. After 15 minutes of making my way to some random moon, I scan for some stuff to mine. Find a mining deposit. Waste about 10 minutes trying to figure out how I'm suppose to mine. Watch a youtube video. Ok, so mining is a mini game of sorts where you shoot a laser beam at the deposit, then carefully increase and decrease the power output to get it in the sweet spot so it can be broken apart and then extracted. Fill up up my ship with some random assortment of ore. Ok cool...let's go sell this shit. Get back to an outpost and they keep telling me I'm blocking an active LZ and I need clearance from ATC to land. Ask in chat how I do that. Open up comms menu and click on the outpost and I get permission to land. Land. Go to vendor. No one wants my ore. Ok, let's try another outpost then. Take off and my ship explodes.

Respawn. File insurance claim to retrieve my ship. It'll be about 8 minutes before it's ready.

Finally get a respawned ship.Take off. Explode.

Respawn. Quit.

OK, fire up the game later on. Let's try out some of these contracts.

Pick the courier ship. Accept a contract to go pickup something and deliver it somewhere else in the system. Well I must have managed to pick the furthest pickup location on the map since I engage the quantum drive and I've just traveling for at least 10 minutes across the system. Arrive outside of some moon or planet that I need to engage the quantum drive again to get closer to my pickup waypoint. A few minutes later, I arrive 50km away from the pickup, no more quantum drive so it's just slow decent above the planet's surface. Feels like it takes another 10 minutes to get to this place. Get out of my ship and look around, talk to the NPC who tells me to F off and doesn't know what I'm talking about. Oh, I see there's a vending machine that you click and gives you a package to pickup. Literally pickup a box and slowly walk back to my ship with a box in my character's hands. No running allowed.

At what has to be at least 30 minutes into this quest I get to the drop off point. Open my ships cargo ramp, pick my box up, walk down the ramp and I fall through the planet's surface..

Respawn. File insurance claim. Let's try some Vandal swarm. I liked the X-Wing and the Freespace games, this should be fun.

AI is absolutely retarded and flies in circles and flies directly at you. Die a few times. Make it to wave 6 out of 9 and the next wave never spawns. Combat is tedious and all the background art is just distracting and serves no purpose to the combat.

Let's try some Star marines. It's slow and clunky. I play a few rounds and it's just meh for a shooter.

TL;DR
You really have to hate yourself to enjoy these Alpha builds. Everything is just unnecessarily tedious and slow for no reason. The real game is spotting where they've cleverly disguised load screens, which is pretty much any time you go through an airlock, sit through a pointless animation, or come out of quantum drive.

• 3Worf
  • 1Barf
  • 1Fal'len
Reactions: 5 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Playing Elite Dangerous recently. Good game, has been for a while. SC has a long ways to go to beat Elite. At this rate, I'm seriously doubting they can do it before we all reach retirement age.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Playing the free demo for Eve many years ago for all of about 15 minutes mining an asteroid was enough to make me not even think twice about saying HELL NO to the idea of Star Citizen in the first place. I have no idea what you people see as fun in these spaceship games.

• 1Seriously?

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I got my money's worth out of Elite. Eve is a great concept but just doesn't do it for me.

• 1Like

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Elite or no mans sky? Been tryin to figure out which one is for me. Really considering NMS cause of their regular game support and the coming multiplayer patch.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Elite or no mans sky? Been tryin to figure out which one is for me. Really considering NMS cause of their regular game support and the coming multiplayer patch.

Disclaimer. I have never played Elite Dangerous.

I play NMS on the regular and I hate mining/crafting games but the aesthetics, music, the idea of flying in space and like you said regular free updates, keep me coming back.

NMS should have a massive update coming this summer (called BEYOND) with focuses on a more integrated multiplayer experience among other aspects.

NMS is more accessible IMO due to the Creative Mode which circumvents the process of learning recipes and grants unlimited crafting materials. If you chose any of the other difficulties you will have to explore and complete missions in order to progress. There have been a series of bug fixes and the game has mod support through steam and Nexus Mod Manager.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

NMS is probably the more mature game and the entry barrier is a lot lower. It is a kids game by comparison though.

Elite has a better engine and combat, but when it comes to quests and other activities, it is extremely limited and grindy. Once you get to the midgame in elite, you'll be grinding over 100 hours for a ship upgrade, unless you start min-maxing your grind, in which case you'll still spend 50+ hours repeating the exact same thing.

Rare component upgrades in Elite have to be crafted, and involve a long grind and RNG, which usually results in several hours of preparation for an attempt, with a very low chance of succes.

I have 276 hours on record in Elite, enough credits to buy and equip the best non-faction ship (base model with some rare upgrades), but I'm still 200 hours away from having grinded the faction for the beste faction ships, and another 200 hours from maxing a ship out through crafted modules.

Of course you could always try to use one of the exploits which will speed up the process a lot, new ones are introduced regularly and are rarely patched within weeks.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I played the shit out of the original Elite on my Atari back in the day, so I was psyched for ED when it was announced and bought the pack that included all future expansions or something. While I have enjoyed mucking about in it I found it was simply "too big". A smaller world filled with interesting stuff (Freelancer?) is much more fun to play than an entire galaxy that is 99.9% empty.

In theory, Starcitizen's world should be enough. But you never know.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users