Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Raign

Golden Squire
This is the video to go with the screen shots Tuco posted last page if anyone is interested:

Nightmare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Why all this hate for people throwing money at a game they want to happen? It's not like they're using your money. I'd throw money at this just for the single player successor to Wing Commander. From what I've seen and from the way they're handling development I have no doubt that they'll deliver a good game. People need to step back and relax about all the hype though.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There is hate all over the place. It seems from people thinking this is a scam and then screaming at people for being idiots for buying a 200$ fictional spaceship. For some reason it usually elevates from a single comment of "lol u crazy" to making it a crusade.

It just happened on f13 the home of people spending thousands on HEX.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I found this thread on SC pretty civil in that regard compared to the drama about Landmark alpha. On the other hand some ribbing doesnt hurt anybody, I threw over hundred $ into Roberts' Porsche pool but I'm not gonna go all fanboy just because of that. I do reserve the right to go all fanboy in 2 years if they actually realize their plans though.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Theres a big difference in funding a (indie) game that needs funding to get made and published and getting rewarded with access/digital goods or throwing money at a ftp supposed AAA game from a big franchise who start milking their customers even before/with alpha.

I didnt buy in to either of these but im kindly towards SC and scowling towards EQNL cause of that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why all this hate for people throwing money at a game they want to happen? It's not like they're using your money. I'd throw money at this just for the single player successor to Wing Commander. From what I've seen and from the way they're handling development I have no doubt that they'll deliver a good game. People need to step back and relax about all the hype though.
I don't see much hate, just a lot of people saying that people need to step back and relax about all the hype.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Theres a big difference in funding a (indie) game that needs funding to get made and published and getting rewarded with access/digital goods or throwing money at a ftp supposed AAA game from a big franchise who start milking their customers even before/with alpha.

I didnt buy in to either of these but im kindly towards SC and scowling towards EQNL cause of that.
I don't see that huge of a difference. Both games are no where near finished and people are helping to fund costs. Both require leaps of faith from the people funding the efforts.One is a big developer but that really shouldn't be such an issue since people are willing to spend thousands to help develop the 'indie' project and the other is just asking for $100. Both games will get made and both offer worthwhile benefits or no one would be funding them. It's just people trying to tell others how to spend their money.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I haven't hated on anyone even dropping thousands for this. I just mentioned at some point this runs into a danger of too many features/goals and grandiose promises. Hopefully he can manage that, but the more money is spent and raised , the more expected , and right or wrong ,raises the chances of pissed off backers.

On the SOE note , I completely get grief given to SOE for going that route , but from a backers point there's no difference. One could argue in fact you are "safer" giving 100 for the large alpha pack to SOE than an indie kickstarter.

But yeah , I've got no problems with the folks actually putting however much into something they might enjoy , people waste money on lots of things I think are stupid but if they have the money and enjoy it it's not stupid to them.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
It's people trying to stop others from a catastrophe. Crowd funding is pyramid schemes for a new generation.

Also, you have no doubts? No doubts at all that someone can put together a AAA multiplayer game with $30M in 2013-2016?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I probably prefer a promising Space-MMO to be funded by 1000's of overspending fanbois with visions of a social Wing Commander in their heads, than 1 or 2 Wall Street venture capitalist types who demand a theme-park MMO because that worked for 'another money making MMO' according to some ANALyst intern they hired.

Raign

Golden Squire
It's people trying to stop others from a catastrophe. Crowd funding is pyramid schemes for a new generation.

Also, you have no doubts? No doubts at all that someone can put together a AAA multiplayer game with $30M in 2013-2016?
Sure, there is doubt. I don't think anywhere in any of the previous posts has anyone said there isn't a chance this will turn into a dog and die within 3 months of launch. That said, I think you are making an implied connection there that does not exist in that just because it can (and very well may) fail, that spending money on it is a bad idea. Frankly put, who really gives a crap how people spend THEIR money... for all anybody knows, they are taking money from their meth fund to do it, actually making it a good idea.

Now if you are spending your rent money and you end up homeless.. well.. I feel sorry for you, but I am hoping people aren't (for the most part) going that far, so why not gamble on it being good?

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't see that huge of a difference. Both games are no where near finished and people are helping to fund costs. Both require leaps of faith from the people funding the efforts.
Fully agree on the leap of faith part.

One is a big developer but that really shouldn't be such an issue since people are willing to spend thousands to help develop the 'indie' project and the other is just asking for $100. Both games will get made and both offer worthwhile benefits or no one would be funding them. It's just people trying to tell others how to spend their money.
No, one is a small developer and that project would somply not take off without crowd funding. Full stop.

The other is a big producing studio in full swing allready sunken millions of projexts dollars on restructuring and marketing and other stuff.
They also will publish the finished product as a free to play title for everyone to download on this thingie they call interweb no matter what the fuck happens.
But as they are run by greedy suits they develop also a new method to aquire cash upfront for something that should be free to play anyway. And they pull that stunt off successfully, great job everyone involved. Double thumbs up.
Would that mind set apply to other businesses we would see some fucked up shit like: booking your next holiday trip to Iraq now for $$$ and get to shot one dune coon for free (with your gun you are then even allowed to check in on a plane!).
Dont mind those dune coons since they are at war with the US they would get shot in the long run anyway. Doesnt matter if hes shot by a drone, the USMC or me.
Right? Right? No i think we shouldnt buy into any bullshit served on a nice silver platter cause we could afford it anyway, so no biggie, if in the end its simply not right to do so and just for a personal gain.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Would that mind set apply to other businesses we would see some fucked up shit like: booking your next holiday trip to Iraq now for $$$ and get to shot one dune coon for free (with your gun you are then even allowed to check in on a plane!).
Dont mind those dune coons since they are at war with the US they would get shot in the long run anyway. Doesnt matter if hes shot by a drone, the USMC or me.
Wut

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
No, one is a small developer and that project would somply not take off without crowd funding. Full stop.
I'm not sure Roberts (or Garriot for that matter) would have been unable to secure funding without going to kickstarter. Consider Roberts asked for half a mill or something, probably as bargaining chip, and intended to drum up publisher interest with that. This whole "take our millions" thing certainly wasnt expected if you look at the initial kickstarter. That's a good thing in my book though, I actually have more trust in the project this way compared to knowing that NCsoft or Activision or EA are in on it.

Krueger

Molten Core Raider
Hopium is right. Finished reading through all that, and the game definitely is aiming high. I am intrigued by the sort-of permadeath system that they're talking about so far. I like the idea of it, but imagine a lot of people won't. I also don't see it making it to release the way it has been described now, although I would actually like to be wrong on that.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'm not digging the death system. If I wanted to play a different character I would roll a new one. I plan to complain about it a bit once they finalize (because otherwise what's the internet good for) and then adapt by remaking Creed II, III, IV etc whenever I croak. Lets hope char creation is less free-form then EVE because I need like a day to make a character there. Ideally it would have a slider system I can capture in a single screenshot to use for reference when re-creating.

Krueger

Molten Core Raider
I've made full family trees for characters back when I role-played more, and I actually enjoy the thought of doing it again. But I know most people don't enjoy that, which is why I don't see this current system making it live. Or at least without some way of bypassing it, whether it be using in-game or real currency(and I think we all know which of those methods it would go...).