Star Trek: Discovery

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Every single show has been about the bridge crew and the engineer. They wanted to break the mold with Discovery and make it about one character, Michael. And she fucking sucks. So they're having to make up ground on the other characters they haven't killed off yet. And doing it sloppily. The ship is also supposed to be a character, the show is even named after it, and we get fuck all to do with the it. Spore drive isn't the ship.

Trek was never really about spectacle. It was admiration, intrigue. The ship kept them alive. It endured monstrously dangerous encounters. Gets tossed across the universe. Through time. Etc. Even DS9 had an entire culture of background having been a Cardassian station used for oppression converted to a means of peace, diplomacy.

What the fuck has Discovery done besides start a war and Tracer blip attack?

I like the ship. The design. But just like the bridge crew, it's ultimately expendable. That's not what Trek is about.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I do like that the next episode has them going to Earth. I was worried that they were somehow gonna keep dodging that elephant while dancing around what had happened in the Star Trek universe since Picard when it makes more sense to spore-hop back to Earth (or Vulcan or Andor) and say 'yo...wtf?? Give us a sports almanac!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So Adira is a human bonded to a trill symbiont, which explains the wunderkind status as well as why they end up going to the Trill homeworld as we saw in some preview scenes.

I would be annoyed by the character were it not for how annoyed Stamets and Tilly were at the 'twee genius's. In addition if you are going to go for a nongendered character a Trill is a good choice.

Unfortunate that it wasn't Dax though, but that would maybe have stretched narrative coincidence too far.

Cybsled

Dax symbiote would also be pretty fucking old by then. If I recall, they could live for centuries, but they weren't immortal and after a time, they wouldn't be able to be implanted in hosts anymore and they would return to the pools for the rest of their lives.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
More good world building. Loved the Earth diplomacy stuff, though it was resolved a bit quickly, at least for now.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The central premise of this season just doesn't fly. It's like someone coming from the past in a Viking longship and teaching us quantum physics. The Discovery crew are so far out of their time and yet turn up to Earth and pull this Scooby Doo hat reveal shit. I mean, do Earth's forces not have scanners? "Oh, those people attacking us are human too?" The writers of this show must assume the audience are dumb as fuck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm scared, this season sounds... really good...

Should I started watching again? Only seen S1 and loved the Mirrior Universe stuff.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Me being a grump aside I could watch Saru all day long. Doug Jones is a really talented guy. The walk he has perfected on Saru shows an awesome attention to detail.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
We need a multiyear ST world with Saru and the Book dudes but without fatty chick and camshaft face.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is Pike happening or? I mean, he was good.

I believe it is happening. Thing is with that is he was the only crew member who had any screen time and half decent script. His first officer was pretty lacklustre and we can't assume Spock will stick around so even though Anson Mount was good the rest is a huge unknown with a significant capacity to underwhelm.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So one of the two new characters is...

a ghost. Not a literal ghost, but the ex boyfriend of Adira who is also the immediate previous host of Tal but who Adira can see thanks to some sort of human/trill psychosis.

Was glad to see they continued the much much older Trill storyline about how the number of possible hosts among the Trill was much larger than advertised, only now the lie has become truth and the Trill are dying out.

Maul

Dental Dammer
The fuck is it with this shit show, why is every new cast member some kind of diversity hire, supposed to believe trills are blue haired non binary ape looking fucks now after the goddess Jadzia Dax? Fuck this woke garbage.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Four episodes in and I'm trying to give this a fair shot but shitting hell that blue-haired fucker is annoying. I have a feeling we are going to have him squeezed into 90% of the rest of this season now as well. When was the last time we had a hetero relationship on this show?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This episode felt really disjointed. Away mission was solved so quickly, like it was cut for time as was the goodbye, some really heavy handed fan service (Voyager, 'no 5 year missions').

Interested in the different ships in the fleet, and what's going on with Georgiou, but instead next week we gotta go rescue the love interest instead and presumably start diving into baggage collected in the year Burnham was there before Discovery.