Star Trek: Discovery

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
TOS was done on a tight budget and heavily hated by the management at Paramount. Remember this show came out around the time when they basically were purging successful shows purely because they wanted more sophisticated shows. This caused the shelving of shows like Hee-Haw (would go on to syndication to great success) and Beverly Hilbillies in favor of a bunch of urban themed shit. But sci-fi was still not mainstream and it was always on the bubble and starved for cash. They made due with what they had and did their best to avoid cancelation. This is reflected in the show at times with some of the inept special effects, simple plots, and questionable guest star acting.

But the core story writing on it was usually very good and would never really pick sides on social issues. And more importantly, it was not so on the nose with its messaging like Woke Trek is. Episodes like Let this Be my Last Battlefield and Balance of Terror were very even handed and subtle. Voyager, for all its many flaws, was the last trek to hit that mark. Enterprise had some good stuff, particularly later on, but it never hit the mark on story telling like the better Treks did. And TOS had many of its stories done as adaptations from fairly heavy hitter sci-fi writers of the era, which helped. It also had genuinely likable characters in the lead with good chemistry, something only DS9 has come close to equaling.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
But it was unapologetically MORAL. Black and white, up and down, son worshipper or slave. It found humanity at its best and then constantly tested those assumptions. A moral play in 60 minutes.

Woke, like all bad dogma, assumes to know all. There are no questions, there is the screed. There is no science, there is politics. There is no star trek, there is only propoganda.

Bring back humanity at its best. Give us something to strive for. This is where conservatives need to REALLY step up their game. Stories make morals or murder them and we've ceded this ground for decades.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is where conservatives need to REALLY step up their game.
Black Ink Crew Lol GIF by VH1

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mrs. Haus

Angry Redhead
<Bronze Donator>

to boldly go where no cisqueer non hetero transnormative bipoc wmynx empowered voice has gone before

i am watching an episode or two a week of TOS on netflix (first time for me, ever), while some episodes are hilariously bad and you keep wondering how Captain Kirk keeps his job its still vastly more entertaining than Discovery
This is a tragedy. Seriously, it must be nice to continually fail upward because of your victim group. I still have my TNG action figures & Star Trek TOS Ken & Barbie from the 90s. I never missed an episode, even of Voyager which wasn't all that great. They have destroyed one of the most thoughtful, hopeful, moral franchises and turned it into a racist, sexist, nihilistic garbage fire. I despise these people with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
TOS was done on a tight budget and heavily hated by the management at Paramount. Remember this show came out around the time when they basically were purging successful shows purely because they wanted more sophisticated shows. This caused the shelving of shows like Hee-Haw (would go on to syndication to great success) and Beverly Hilbillies in favor of a bunch of urban themed shit. But sci-fi was still not mainstream and it was always on the bubble and starved for cash. They made due with what they had and did their best to avoid cancelation. This is reflected in the show at times with some of the inept special effects, simple plots, and questionable guest star acting.

But the core story writing on it was usually very good and would never really pick sides on social issues. And more importantly, it was not so on the nose with its messaging like Woke Trek is. Episodes like Let this Be my Last Battlefield and Balance of Terror were very even handed and subtle. Voyager, for all its many flaws, was the last trek to hit that mark. Enterprise had some good stuff, particularly later on, but it never hit the mark on story telling like the better Treks did. And TOS had many of its stories done as adaptations from fairly heavy hitter sci-fi writers of the era, which helped. It also had genuinely likable characters in the lead with good chemistry, something only DS9 has come close to equaling.

one of the more fascinating behind the scenes stories i read was how Lucille Ball (I love Lucy) was a huge believer in Star Trek. DesiLu, her production company, is the final logo on every episode and I was curious about that. They produced the show and wrangled up all the financing, and even paid to reshoot the pilot when it was clear the network wasn't happy with the cast or pilot story, recasting virtually everyone except Spock. Cost something like $500k back then which is like $5m now. Still pretty interesting how a nearly thrown away pilot (The Cage) has been reincorporated into Star Trek across multiple series off a character that got cast off.

the guy who originally played Pike also died soon after IRL, reminds me a lot of the Babylon 5 captain stuff

its also insane how season 1 of TOS has 30 fucking episodes. jesus. Those 50-80s show must have basically been a 50 week a year job for everyone involved. Nowadays a show is usually 8-10 episodes a season lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
DC Fontana was a fantastic writer on TOS, was gasp and woman and wrote some good shit on B5 too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrs. Haus

Angry Redhead
<Bronze Donator>
DC Fontana was a fantastic writer on TOS, was gasp and woman and wrote some good shit on B5 too.
I'm a woman (a real one). I have no problem with women who were good at their jobs and got/kept projects and promotions based on merit. I have a problem with the current mentality that promotes women and other victim groups based on their identity rather than capability. They act like no woman ever carried a franchise or wrote a serious film or series before around 2016 because it doesn't fit their narrative that women and minorities were kept out of the spotlight in entertainment. It's insulting and degrading, and the fact that these groups cannot (or won't) see they are only being given their jobs because of what's between their legs or who they sleep with or the amount of melanin in their skin is just a reflection of the sad, horrible state of society at this point in time. Almost none of the writers or actors or people involved in JJ & Kurtzman Trek are there because they are the best for the job, they are there to either virtue signal or because of their political ideology. The absolute, utter trash state of the franchise atm bears that out.

Y'know, I worked my ass off for everything I ever accomplished, professionally and personally, and never expected special consideration for being a woman. In fact, I seem to remember original feminism not wanting to be treated different than men. Now not only do they want to be treated different, they want special, enhanced privileges over men - especially white men. And because they and other non-merit based, diversity hires aren't actually good at their jobs, we get shit like STD & Picard & Batwoman.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a woman (a real one). I have no problem with women who were good at their jobs and got/kept projects and promotions based on merit. I have a problem with the current mentality that promotes women and other victim groups based on their identity rather than capability. They act like no woman ever carried a franchise or wrote a serious film or series before around 2016 because it doesn't fit their narrative that women and minorities were kept out of the spotlight in entertainment. It's insulting and degrading, and the fact that these groups cannot (or won't) see they are only being given their jobs because of what's between their legs or who they sleep with or the amount of melanin in their skin is just a reflection of the sad, horrible state of society at this point in time. Almost none of the writers or actors or people involved in JJ & Kurtzman Trek are there because they are the best for the job, they are there to either virtue signal or because of their political ideology. The absolute, utter trash state of the franchise atm bears that out.

Y'know, I worked my ass off for everything I ever accomplished, professionally and personally, and never expected special consideration for being a woman. In fact, I seem to remember original feminism not wanting to be treated different than men. Now not only do they want to be treated different, they want special, enhanced privileges over men - especially white men. And because they and other non-merit based, diversity hires aren't actually good at their jobs, we get shit like STD & Picard & Batwoman.
Ok? This isn't a xeq hot take.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The irony of this is that the two largest sci-fi franchises of all time were arguably built through the efforts of women, Fontana with Trek and Lucas's ex wife Marcia Griffon with Start Wars. What neither of these women did was complain about feminist shit to get ahead or push an agenda, beyond making a good product. Griffon basically saved star wars from being a total shit show and pushed most of what Empire the best of the franchise. Fontana kept the writing on TOS mostly consistent in an era where networks demanded single contained stories for accessibility and recruited some Sci-Fi heavyweights to create stories. Fucking amazing how ignorant of this the woke brigade is in their efforts to conquer these franchises.

• 3Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm on another watch through of Star Trek TNG, and this name, that I hadn't noticed before, is something I started seeing associated to nearly every episode in Season 3.

Melinda M. Snodgrass. She was the story editor for most of season 3, and executive script consultant (and script continuity) for the majority of season's 3 and 4. Most would admit season 3 and 4 is when the show started firing on all cylinders. She's credited on episodes like Tin Man and Yesterday's Enterprise.

I've been readily aware of the producers and other writers, like Ron D. Moore, Michael Piller, and of course Mr. TNG himself, Rick Berman, but she wasn't even in the list of credited folks I paid any mind to.

There's not a lot she's been credited to otherwise, but has apparently written a ton of books, having even co-opted with George RR Martin.

• 5Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The irony is Strange New Worlds is Kurtzman's attempt at "Classic Trek" to appeal to hardcores.

The lead cast has "boomer appeal" for that reason. 50 year old leading lady and so forth.

I don't understand adding a bunch of young women and black kids to the cast. A cohesive mature tone is important-- as we learned in TNG.

Cybsled

That isn’t new? DS9 main “crew” was Sisko, Kira, Dax, OBrian, Bashir, and Odo. Then Worf later.

All I give a fuck about is are the characters good and can the actors pull off the characters well enough?

No one wants a crew full of Wesley, Kes, Neelix, and Troi

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's the point of the boomer appeal of Strange New Worlds.

The plot points and cast are supposed to harken back to TNG and DS9 and a little TOS according to Kurtzman and win over the fanbase.

This is something that the creative behind Strange New Worlds set out to do.

Last edited:

Cybsled

True, although sometimes when they attempt to manufacture a "beloved" character, they fail.

Like during Voyager, they thought Neelix was going to be the fan favorite, instead of The Doctor. Sometimes shows just kind of fall into one naturally.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
didn't a few of you keep posting last year about how Strange New Worlds won't ever get made, has no funding, yadda yadda? Guess you just can't believe those youtuber rumors

at least Strange New Worlds has Pike as the lead, aka Anson Mount aka Cullen Bohannan from Hell on Wheels. Colm Meaney was the "bad guy" on that show, who played Miles O'Brien. Since they are fucking around a lot with time travel maybe they will zap over to the TNG/DS9 timeline and Chief O'Brien and Keiko and Riker will join the cast in season 2

787ddf6dad4a2abf6b92edaee536d9e13ebbc13c.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Like