Star Trek - Into Darkness

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I hope this piece of shit failed at the box office. Let's hope they won't make a 3rd.
"According to BuzzHub, Quinto said, "Star Trek 3 should be filming, I suppose, next year. It?s going to be made a lot quicker than the last one. That?s the plan, although nothing is confirmed yet."

Quinto added that J.J. Abrams still hopes to direct the next Trek but didn't elaborate. This seems highly unlikely to happen, though, as Abrams begins filming Star Wars: Episode VII in early 2014 and will then oversee post-production on that until it's 2015 release."

Domestic Total as of Aug. 25, 2013: $227,379,000

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $227,379,000 49.6%
+ Foreign: $231,300,000 50.4%
= Worldwide: $458,679,000

It cost about ~$190 mill to make.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Who keeps giving Damon Lindelof writing jobs? The script was pretty much all of the problems with this movie.

Siliconemelons

Pre ordered it on bestbuy their special edition on sale 20$ and you instantly get the HD download cienamanow version code. So win win for me as I haven't seen it yet :-D

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
This is my question. Damon is clearly a good nerd, but his scripts have always been...iffy at best.

pysek

<Gold Donor>
I guess my problem with it is they got the action down to a science but the science (and plot) seemed amateur. It didn't FEEL like star trek. And yes, trek suffers from diarrhea of the mouth sometimes, but the idealism, the subtext, is the point. They made a capable, slam-bang sciency action movie with no heart and nothing to take home and digest after. And I liked it for what it was, but was disappointed in light of what it could be.
If they do the five-year mission and let the third movie escape from the shackles of the parallel timeline and give it some heart, in addition to the great character moments, we'd have a pretty good little trek film, I think.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I liked it, better than the first one probably. Looking forward to more.
Why? Just watched this a couple nights ago and I guess I can't turn my mind off, but plot holes and inconsistencies and references and bad writing and fanjobs everywhere! Ruined the movie for me. Is the bar so low for action movies that any semblance of a plot gets a pass? Which is a shame because just about everything else about the movie is very well done. I even appreciated that they made engineering look more "engineering", like the bowels of a submarine. When they were on the USS Vengeance, one of the rooms looked like a server room(probably was, with a severe lighting change). And I thought to myself that a starship probably would have a server room, multiple at that. Why go to such lengths to shoot a well acted, well directed, well produced movie, and then let the screenwriter(s) shit all over it?

They should do a Scotty and Bones investigative duo movie, ditch the rest of the dead weight.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Upon rewatching, I had a lot more problems with this movie. I liked it in the theater and was willing to just go along with the story warts and all, but it doesn't hold up on closer inspection. I'm not talking about Trekkie fanboy inconsistencies, I just mean the whole fucking thing falls to pieces. Khan has Xanatos levels of prescience about the outcome of random events, and it's all just a loose gauze stitching together various callbacks and set pieces.

By far the worst is the whole interstellar transporter thing being glossed over like it's no big thing, when in fact it more or less wipes out the necessity for starships. If Khan can just teleport across the galaxy, why doesn't he do that to get his friends to safety? And why doesn't Section 31 do that to wipe out the Klingon high command to avert a war? Why build a giant fucking stealth starship when you have throwaway tech like that?

Made no goddamn sense.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Why? Just watched this a couple nights ago and I guess I can't turn my mind off, but plot holes and inconsistencies and references and bad writing and fanjobs everywhere! Ruined the movie for me. Is the bar so low for action movies that any semblance of a plot gets a pass? Which is a shame because just about everything else about the movie is very well done. I even appreciated that they made engineering look more "engineering", like the bowels of a submarine. When they were on the USS Vengeance, one of the rooms looked like a server room(probably was, with a severe lighting change). And I thought to myself that a starship probably would have a server room, multiple at that. Why go to such lengths to shoot a well acted, well directed, well produced movie, and then let the screenwriter(s) shit all over it?

They should do a Scotty and Bones investigative duo movie, ditch the rest of the dead weight.
Some aspects of the story could have been better but overall I thought the story was probably better than the original. Definitely not up to par with the writing on TNG or anything, but I didn't really care for the Star Trek movies so whatever. I didn't really get assaulted by glaring plot holes as I watched it. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Upon rewatching, I had a lot more problems with this movie. I liked it in the theater and was willing to just go along with the story warts and all, but it doesn't hold up on closer inspection. I'm not talking about Trekkie fanboy inconsistencies, I just mean the whole fucking thing falls to pieces. Khan has Xanatos levels of prescience about the outcome of random events, and it's all just a loose gauze stitching together various callbacks and set pieces.

By far the worst is the whole interstellar transporter thing being glossed over like it's no big thing, when in fact it more or less wipes out the necessity for starships. If Khan can just teleport across the galaxy, why doesn't he do that to get his friends to safety? And why doesn't Section 31 do that to wipe out the Klingon high command to avert a war? Why build a giant fucking stealth starship when you have throwaway tech like that?

Made no goddamn sense.
Yeah, the teleporter thing bothers me. For exploration purposes sure, the "5 year mission" sure, you still need starships. But for literally anything in this movie you did not need a starship. Except to have a starship battle.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the teleporter thing bothers me. For exploration purposes sure, the "5 year mission" sure, you still need starships. But for literally anything in this movie you did not need a starship. Except to have a starship battle.
In the theater, it happened so fast that I missed it. I was enjoying the carnage and Cumberbatch's performance so I ignored it, though I did think it was a little weird. On rewatch, the whole thing feels incredibly contrived. The plot needed him out in Klingon space immediately after attacking earth, but there's no time to narratively get him there so let's just shortcut it with a gizmo.

I enjoyed the action, but the plot was abysmal and felt like they smashed several screenplays together. Another part that seriously bothered me was Kirk being demoted and then reinstated as captain in virtually back to back scenes. He goes from bad news in a bar, to second in command at a top secret meeting (some demotion), to acting captain because Pike dies all in a space of like ten minutes. Oh and Spock comes back too, having not even set foot in the ship to which he was reassigned before the plot rewinds it all.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well that part at least kind of made sense, the admiral making him a captain again knowing that he would go out there and pull some crazy bullshit so he can have his war. It does seem like the entire "Kirk learns humility" thing could have been done better.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Why didn't any Klingon patrols or scanners notice a stranded Federation ship near their HOMEWORLD?
Why did Admiral Marcus give him 72 super torpedos full of frozen people(he knew about that, double checked it)?
Why are Spock and Kirk friends?
Why are Spock and Uhura dating?
Why did no one come to help/investigate the battle between the Enterprise and the Vengeance? They were closer to earth than the fucking moon!
How did Admiral Marcus hide a skunkworks ship construction in the Federaton's home system?
Why did Spock felate the prime directive all throughout the opening sequence but was ok with shutting off the volcana(lol at cold fusion, btw)?
They could beam Spock out but not the device in, preset?
Why didn't sad black father just call the cops after Khan gave him his blood?
Why didn't Khan use his superior intellect to blow up Section 31 himself?
Why does human blood work on Tribbles?
How is a guy asleep for 300 years a good idea to ask to build your new super ship?

This is just shit off the top of my head(redlettermedia helped too). You didn't think of this stuff the first time(for most people, the theatres) because the movie and dialogue are so fast paced, you have no time to go "wtf?". And because you don't have a pause button. Usually fast-paced is good for an action movie, but I think they're doing it here so you don't actually stop and think.

There's a video redlettermedia did where Mike just rattles off all the plot holes in Prometheus for 5 straight minutes. I think they should do it for this movie too.

Chaos, the TNG movies were almost as bad. Dumb action movies, but the plot holes weren't so blatant.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I meant TNG series, not movies. Star Trek movies are historically bad. (cue Dumar rhargklbhargling)

Some of those questions are answered, some are misunderstandings of the plot, some are definitely plot holes. Like they never did really explain why Khan was woken up, he just was. Or the prime directive, that was just failed fan service. The friendship and dating and frozen people are explained, and they were in the neutral zone, not Klingon space. But I get your point. Still, I think it was better than the first.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I thought the first of these two was kind dumb but overall fun and enjoyable. Into Darkness was just stupid. The opening scene alone was beyond retarded. Cold fusion. lawl.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I meant TNG series, not movies. Star Trek movies are historically bad. (cue Dumar rhargklbhargling)

Some of those questions are answered, some are misunderstandings of the plot, some are definitely plot holes. Like they never did really explain why Khan was woken up, he just was. Or the prime directive, that was just failed fan service. The friendship and dating and frozen people are explained, and they were in the neutral zone, not Klingon space. But I get your point. Still, I think it was better than the first.
If you don't mind debating those points, how was it explained that they are friends and why they are dating? I mean, as characters, not because the script says so. Spock is an angry douchebag and Kirk is a college fratboy, why should they be friends? And I'm not sure if Uhura is even a fully developed character at this point to say whether or not she should be attracted to Spock. These might seem like minor points, but I think it should be almost paramount to writing a script: character development. And there's almost absolutely none going on here. The characters follow the same exact arc as 2009, if they get an arc at all. It's a shame Scotty and Bones are reduced to basically one liners.

I'll take back the Klingon one. That was just dubious because they measured how close they were to Qo'nos by time, not distance, so I thought they meant 20 minutes by impulse.

pysek

<Gold Donor>
Allusions to the first movie were made in an effort to solidify why Spock is friends with Kirk and dating Uhura. But I will agree wholeheartedly that this movie lacked the one thing that makes us care, legitimate characters who behave (within the bounds of the movie) as real people in that universe would and take actions and make decisions based upon that established character.

And for those who wonder about Firefly's popularity, at least in my opinion, it's character. Pretty much every single line that comes from a character's mouth in that show either a) is right in line with established characterizations, b) propels the plot forward with a statement or decision made that is in keeping with the character or c) making logical leaps based on established character. What I don't recall ever seeing is Wash acting completely out of character specifically to propel the plot forward, which many shows are wont to do.