Star Trek - Into Darkness

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That was always the point though, wasn't it? That Kirk and Spock develop an unlikely friendship through mutual experience and sacrifice? They have a sort of complementary relationship. I don't know if that would work if we didn't already know that from the previous movies, that might be a pretty valid criticism. For Uhura, she was with him when his planet was destroyed and his mother died, he actually showed emotion, I felt they did a pretty good job showing "hey these two are going to fuck."

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
The implication in the first movie was they were dating even then. Her demand to be on the Enterprise crew, and his rapid acquiescence. The kiss on the transporter pad, etc. And them being together was simply a continuation of that relationship in the first film.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I didn't really get that, I always assumed that Uhura had some feelings for him but that didn't develop until after she saw him vulnerable etc. Her demanding to be on his ship I never picked up as indicative of them already being in a relationship, I always thought we were seeing the relationship "bloom" during the movie.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
A friend wouldn't have filed that report. Or would have at least told Kirk beforehand. Spock had to have known what that meeting with Pike was going to be about. But nope, no warning at all! Not even some speculation about the possible ass reaming Kirk was gleefully walking into.

For how different the characters are, I think you need more time for the friendship to mesh naturally. I think AFTER the sacrifice, you can start to see it. And then you would hopefully, in the next movie, see some different reaction to each other. But no one, after what Spock did, would specifically ask for him back as first officer. How could you trust someone, regardless if he was actually right in what he did?

As for Uhura and Spock, I don't think a pity fuck is enough to base a relationship on. I mean the characters, why should they be together? When Uhura isn't playing comm officer, she's just nagging Spock about stuff, during critical missions(another dumb script piece). Do they both like skiing in Tahoe? Collecting stamps? Analingus? Cmon, give me something, otherwise they're closer to a couple that's just itching for a excuse to break up.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well there isn't really time in movies to give us that. The previous Star Trek movies pulled heavily from the tv series because they knew that. You can't establish a friendship to the level of detail required in an hour and a half and still have a movie that people want to see. The report is a bad example, imo, this is just a fundamental difference in their character. Spock assumed Kirk would tell the truth and know that Spock was going to file a report in accordance with Star Fleet regs, Kirk assumed that Spock would know to cover their 6. The relationship especially, the tv show gives time for the backstory to let you know that both Uhura and Spock are into anal fisting and shame role-playing, sot heir relationship works. In the movie they just don't get into it.

pysek

<Gold Donor>
Come on, Chaos, you know Spock would never have allowed a mere cadet to cajole her way into a different assignment if she wasn't giving him ass. He pored over those duty assignments and I assure you every cadet was given a logical destination. Even his reason for assigning her to the Farragut was to "avoid the appearance of favoritism'. And she stomps her pretty foot and he caves? They were clearly boning even then.
But don't get me wrong, I never really liked the Spock/Uhura relationship for the very reasons deathwing ascribed. It was never earned, since most of it happened off screen. It felt tacked on to cater to non star trek females and generally was a bad idea. Not that Spock couldn't love her, but they never earned it.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Rewatched it again last night and the plot holes do stand out more. In particular Scotty just tootling up to a top secret shipyard and nobody even challenges him.
It still clips along decently but they need to get better writers next time around.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
too lazy too go through the 600+ posts ...

as of this typing i'm 20 minutes into this movie, and as you can see i have nothing better to do than post on a movie forum.

why the hell did they park the Enterprise in the fucking ocean of the planet? scared that a society barely inventing the wheel would spot them with their powerful telescopes? what the fuck did they use a shuttle to put Spock into the volcano instead of a fucking transporter beam? why didnt they just drop the "cold fusion bomb" (to freeze the volcano OMG) into the fucking volcano fully armed?

i hate this movie already.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
something something ash cloud sensors something

I believe that was the explanation given for all of that.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
something something ash cloud sensors something

I believe that was the explanation given for all of that.
yeah, you're semi right. "magnetic field" was interfering with the transporter. *sigh*

edit: finished the movie after i managed to turn the initial rage down. turned out to be a bit better than i expected after the meh start. not good, just not as bad as feared anyway.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I never really liked the Spock/Uhura relationship for the very reasons deathwing ascribed. It was never earned, since most of it happened off screen. It felt tacked on to cater to non star trek females and generally was a bad idea. Not that Spock couldn't love her, but they never earned it.
Definitely one of the aspects of these new movies that irks me the most. Spock would have NEVER been in a "relationship" with anyone much less ahumanfemale. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Vulcans mate because of pon-far or whatever the fuck it's called? He wouldn't care about getting "ass". Furthermore, unions between males and females in Vulcan society are for purely "logical" reasons. Love and affection would have never entered into the equation for them. ESPECIALLY for Spock who, as we know is half-human, has every desire to reject that side of himself. Didn't anyone even watch the original series?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Definitely one of the aspects of these new movies that irks me the most. Spock would have NEVER been in a "relationship" with anyone much less ahumanfemale. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Vulcans mate because of pon-far or whatever the fuck it's called? He wouldn't care about getting "ass". Furthermore, unions between males and females in Vulcan society are for purely "logical" reasons. Love and affection would have never entered into the equation for them. ESPECIALLY for Spock who, as we know is half-human, has every desire to reject that side of himself. Didn't anyone even watch the original series?
Are.....are you serious right now with this?

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I wonder just how far the five year mission is going to take them when the Klingon homeworld was 10 minutes away tops.

Second random nitpick, didn't they encounter Tribbles for the first time during said 5 year mission?

Despite holes you could sail both the main starships through I still enjoyed it overall as a decent popcorn movie. Wish a DS9 movie could have existed and been given this much budget though >.<

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Argues the Vulcan would never bang a human

glosses over the fact that Spock's dad did just that

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
For political gain and advancement of the species. Banging a subordinate really is just for pleasure. Unless Uhura is set to inherit Uhura Multisystem Mining Company.

pysek

<Gold Donor>
Argues the Vulcan would never bang a human

glosses over the fact that Spock's dad did just that
One of my favorite scenes in the first movie, still get almost weepy when I see it:

rrr_img_41768.jpg

You once asked me why I married your mother...I married her because I loved her.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Exactly. Vulcan emotion is complex and obviously not fully suppressed. For 40 years we've seen Vulcans make emotional decisions at times while struggling to remain logical, it is an ongoing thing.

pysek

<Gold Donor>
And Vulcans, by nature, are MORE emotional than humans. It was that emotion that led to the Sundering and the Romluans taking off while the teachings of Surak and his attempt to supress his emotions dominated the Vulcan homeworld. That's why the best Vulcan actors (Nimoy and Tim Russ) have always maintained an air of bottled emotion. Like the top of a teakettle, just about to pop off from the steam inside.

Golt_sl

shitlord
As someone not heavily invested in the Star Trek series, I admit I enjoyed this movie. I would have paid to see it in theater and not regretted it. I am looking forward to future movies, although I'd like it to be more original and less homage in nature going forward. I realize there will always be some references, given that they're playing already established characters in the franchise.. but as far as villains and plot go, I hope they can go into some new ground.