Star Trek: Picard

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That timeline is pretty cool.

I never realised DS9 crossed over two existing series of Star Trek.

Those were good years to be alive.
yea especially when you were watching as they were broadcast, you knew shit was going down on DS9 but you had to wait a whole year (or summer?)

and then it opens up with this
tumblr_mrnurirBrj1rzu2xzo3_r2_250.gifv

then you find out later in life, it's a real minature

man, fuck you cgi, you suck, bring back all minatures!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
- Insurance carrier threatens Picard season 2

- Still no distribution deal for Picard season 2, project dead

- Amazon still hasn't bought season 2

- Insurance would need to insure the production of Picard in the COVID world

- Pattinson testing positive sent shockwaves through industry

- Ability to keep Patrick Stewart safe is a problem

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

what? hollywood doesn't believe in sweet irony that the dude cosplaying a bat got covid?

Goatface

looks like they are actively trying to cancel people behind "old" trek
1600436749857.png

the corset rumor was debunked by Ryan months ago, Kate Mulgrew did have hate for 7 of 9.
1600436866731.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good Alexander Siddig interview about DS9 production, he's very open and down to earth. Bombshell relevation: he actually played UO and EQ in between scenes...
Also has Cirroc Lofton giving some insights.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard

You know you've royally screwed the pooch when you can't sell Picard to anyone.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Rewatching TNG I'm struck by how much I tend to hate episodic tv, and the entire concept of episodic tv really undermines the writing and background of Star Trek. It renders so many things that happen in the show just completely unbelievable. But I think that's the format that really works best for ST. The morality episodes of TNG are always the best, but it changed so you weren't spinning your wheels for months/years on a single topic. The ability to shift the story kept them from getting mired down in the "wait, wtf are we doing sending our flagship full of scientists and families and children to the neutral zone?" questions.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I agree with the idea that when Voyager was good, it hit pretty high highs, but it also had a ton of filler. That said, TNG had plenty of filler episodes, too. Side character episodes are always dicey. Doctor and 7 of 9 ones usually good, not much else really hit the mark for me.

Neelix send off was very good, but I agree with whoever noted it shouldn't have been as close to the finale as it was.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Rewatching TNG I'm struck by how much I tend to hate episodic tv, and the entire concept of episodic tv really undermines the writing and background of Star Trek. It renders so many things that happen in the show just completely unbelievable. But I think that's the format that really works best for ST. The morality episodes of TNG are always the best, but it changed so you weren't spinning your wheels for months/years on a single topic. The ability to shift the story kept them from getting mired down in the "wait, wtf are we doing sending our flagship full of scientists and families and children to the neutral zone?" questions.

Can you tell me what you mean by "The morality episodes of TNG are always the best?" I'm trying to think of what you mean by morality episodes. Are these episodes where Picard has to make decisions based on morality over the Prime Directive?

Sorry if I'm being dense, I'm just not sure what you mean, but I'm intrigued.

Cybsled

Morality episodes I am assuming he means the "Enterprise crew is confronted with an ethical dilemma" episodes, some of which involved the Prime Directive and others did not.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Can you tell me what you mean by "The morality episodes of TNG are always the best?" I'm trying to think of what you mean by morality episodes. Are these episodes where Picard has to make decisions based on morality over the Prime Directive?

Sorry if I'm being dense, I'm just not sure what you mean, but I'm intrigued.
Yeah, or like the episode where they have a trial over whether or not Data is a free being. There's no action at all in that episode. Or the episode where they capture Hugh. The action episodes sprinkled around lots and lots of philosophy and world building is what makes you look past the stupid rubber masks and bullshit science.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, or like the episode where they have a trial over whether or not Data is a free being. There's no action at all in that episode. Or the episode where they capture Hugh. The action episodes sprinkled around lots and lots of philosophy and world building is what makes you look past the stupid rubber masks and bullshit science.

Yeah, I agree with you on this. The episode about Data being free was a terrific episode. It's a totally different feel, and I think somewhat to do with the actor who plays captain. Picard is a diplomat, a politician. The dialogue written for Picard is awesome. Can you imagine Sisko in that situation? It just wouldn't fly. TNG really does best with ethics. They tried in Voyager, but it wasn't ever done very well. It typically came off as Janeway being superior. With Picard it always felt like he was upholding something bigger, not just flexing his own superior moral muscles.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Ya, Picard was more the statesman/diplomat style. Sisko was always the "get shit done no matter the cost" guy, Janeway was some odd hybrid of the two and seemed to flop between those poles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fun anecdote: Roddenberry's nightmarish vision of the future almost prevented Measure of a Man from being made because he felt criminals in the Federation would just have their minds fixed and that lawyers/trials simply wouldn't exist.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Ya, Picard was more the statesman/diplomat style. Sisko was always the "get shit done no matter the cost" guy, Janeway was some odd hybrid of the two and seemed to flop between those poles.
Janeway was definetely hopping between poles, Chakotay, Mark, 7of9 etc. Ba-dum-tsh.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fun anecdote: Roddenberry's nightmarish vision of the future almost prevented Measure of a Man from being made because he felt criminals in the Federation would just have their minds fixed and that lawyers/trials simply wouldn't exist.
This sounds like an episode of the Twilight Zone. Minority Report at the very least.