Star Wars Battlefront II

goishen

Macho Ma'am
[
Star Wars: Battlefront II almost had way more Overwatch-style hero skins
During the development of Star Wars: Battlefront II, developer DICE began work on a mode that played like Overwatch and featured a similar business model to Blizzard’s team-based hero shooter, according to sources familiar with the production (who asked that I not print their names or titles to protect their employment). The mode would have focused on teamwork and squad composition, and — more importantly — it would have favored cosmetic items like hero costumes in its loot boxes over perks and weapons. Most of these ideas were dropped from Battlefront II due, at least in part, to a request from Disney’s Star Wars division Lucasfilm.

I don’t know why Lucasfilm would ask EA not to pursue a cosmetics-heavy Overwatch-like mode. Lucasfilm gaming boss Douglas Reilly told me during a conversation this week that canon isn’t a concern when it comes to what goes into a loot box. So that’s probably not the problem. And even if Disney did have good reasoning, EA should’ve known it wouldn’t get away with this. But whatever the origin for this decision, fans should look to see how Battlefront II’s business model changes moving forward.

Its all George Lucas's fault

It's a clusterfuck all the way around. They've got dollar signs for eyeballs. Agreed, Larian prolly does as well, but they made a great fucking game without the use of MTX, and they actually care about gamers. Fucking board room micromanagement, when it's supposed to be one neckbeard looking at another neckbeard, and saying, "Hey, look, isn't this cool?"

Then the dollar bills will make it rain. It doesn't work the opposite way. Activision is next, as far as I'm concerned. Fuck, this fight is a long way from over.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I hope after publishers see this backlash the whole “gamers are sheep” will shut them the fuck to.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I hope after publishers see this backlash the whole “gamers are sheep” will shut them the fuck to.

I'd stay fairly pessimistic and wait for EAs quarterlies. I have a feeling this will be a very minor blip big picture and things will continue business as usual with maybe some minor scheduling tweaks in how microtransactions are released to better manipulate PR.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah. We need to make sure, with this momentum, we are not fooled. After this mess, I don’t think it’s easy. We all saw how many curve balls EA threw in to cover this. They aren’t fooled. Renaming it or burying it else where won’t work anymore.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah. We need to make sure, with this momentum, we are not fooled. After this mess, I don’t think it’s easy. We all saw how many curve balls EA threw in to cover this. They aren’t fooled. Renaming it or burying it else where won’t work anymore.

I think the only EA game i've purchased in the last 5 years was battlefield 1, and that was definitely worth it so they deserved the money. Zero loot box p2w bullshit in that game and was fun as fuck for a couple months.

I'm looking through their catalog of games to see what the last one besides BF1 i purchased. I think it was bad company 2 + vietnam.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So everyone, huge insider information from someone with the initials of Peanut Boat..... who used to work with DICE, has told me they no longer wanted to be with the company because of this exact bullshit game they were going to produce.

Plans included this EXACT marketing plan. TO THE FUCKING TEE.

1) Alienate the base causing massive PR hype (Negative)
2) Bury the real MTX system behind crafting, deflect to Heros. Plant forum posters to talk about the hero system and how you cannot be vader or luke.
3) Come back and PR correct with lowering hero costs along with at the same time lowering rewards.
4) Pause 1 day.
5) Suspend MTX system entirely. Leaving the same progression system. PR positive hype on that alone, ignore current progression system.
6) December 19th, 4 days after the movie, re-release same MTX system.
7) Drop price to half on day of movie launch
8) PR will be gone by then. But we still reaped the benefits of bad press - It's Star Wars no one will care. Gamers are stupid. We want the other 99% who don't know anything about gaming and buy this for their kid who just walked out of the movie.

I guarantee you this conversation happened.

That is deviously clever.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
How is the MP? I dont even play SP campaigns so im curious how this would be with like 2-4 friends on voice.

• 6Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
How is the MP? I dont even play SP campaigns so im curious how this would be with like 2-4 friends on voice.

Haven’t played the other modes yet, but I haven’t liked a console dogfight game this much since Warhawk (PS3).

Last edited:
  • 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I am about to defriend any fucker I see playing this

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Does it have power ups I can buy?

Nah that would rock though to have constant boost all the time! You can buy some really cool cosmetics though. :) spent over 100 in rocket league stuff because I love the publisher and all their free updates, maps, game modes, etc. EA should try that instead of destroying their stock daily and having Igor all upset.

Oops.

Hey give me 100 bucks instead of buying those crates and I’ll come over and teach you how to not suck.