Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
How retarded do you have to be to see the largest brand name in Sci-fi/fantasy for 35 years take a massive dive specifically during the tenure of one person and say "that looks like brand fatigue".

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
George Lucas always said Star Wars was about the adventures of R2 and 3PO. This is especially carried over into the prequels, and a large part as to why the sequels are even more disjointed from the overall narrative. R2 spends an entire movie under a blanket. 3PO is needlessly murdered and brought back to life. And the new droid they add is a fucking Mary Sue also. Confident, capable, never in any real danger, when put in difficult situations will solve them in a comically stupid or simple way (smashing head into circuitry, spitting coins). I like BB8, the design, character, but not how he's used. And the lack of nuance and subtly, especially without a 3PO to bounce off of. Is Finn supposed to be the 3PO character? Panicky and fearful? Meh, I'm not gonna diatribe about those shitty movies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
3p0 killed? I must have blocked enough of those movies that I don't remember this

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
It sure is a fatigue issue: KKK&co are getting fatigued from all the (deserved) shit they've been getting.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
3p0 killed? I must have blocked enough of those movies that I don't remember this
Not that it matters, but he has to be "joined" with the ship to calculate the jump to light speed. This supposedly kills his consciousness. It's an empty moment because none of the characters have any relationship to 3PO otherwise. And then he's brought back like 2-3 scenes later.

• 1Like

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
George Lucas always said Star Wars was about the adventures of R2 and 3PO. This is especially carried over into the prequels, and a large part as to why the sequels are even more disjointed from the overall narrative. R2 spends an entire movie under a blanket. 3PO is needlessly murdered and brought back to life. And the new droid they add is a fucking Mary Sue also. Confident, capable, never in any real danger, when put in difficult situations will solve them in a comically stupid or simple way (smashing head into circuitry, spitting coins). I like BB8, the design, character, but not how he's used. And the lack of nuance and subtly, especially without a 3PO to bounce off of. Is Finn supposed to be the 3PO character? Panicky and fearful? Meh, I'm not gonna diatribe about those shitty movies.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

George was big on perspective characters. He wanted to do a series on the fall of Rome-- using shopkeepers and commoners as POV characters.

HBO's Rome beat him to the punch. His outline sounded very similar to the HBO series, albeit predating it by a few years. It's possible his pitch or idea was stolen by some collaborator. You'd need to trace every single person involved with Rome if anyone met with Lucas at any point in the previous 5 years regarding a show based on the Roman Empire.

Lucas outline sounded similar enough that I have to presume someone just stole his idea (which happens more than enough in Hollywood). Start trying to make something, someone else makes their own faster.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
George was big on perspective characters. He wanted to do a series on the fall of Rome-- using shopkeepers and commoners as POV characters.

HBO's Rome beat him to the punch. His outline sounded very similar to the HBO series, albeit predating it by a few years. It's possible his pitch or idea was stolen by some collaborator. You'd need to trace every single person involved with Rome if anyone met with Lucas at any point in the previous 5 years regarding a show based on the Roman Empire.

Lucas outline sounded similar enough that I have to presume someone just stole his idea (which happens more than enough in Hollywood). Start trying to make something, someone else makes their own faster.
This happens a lot, a lot. There's always the James Cameron Armageddon to whoever made Deep Impact in 1998, which hilariously showed up first in my Google search for "movie about asteroid hitting earth" because I'd forgotten the name of it. Outbreak and Virus in 1995. Volcano and Dante's Peak in 1997.

I'm sure this series has been referenced here before, but if you haven't seen it, it's a good watch and does a quick breakdown on Star Wars and its adaptations from other movies in Part 2, Everything is a Remix, which starts on music, then movies, then the computer, and part 4 covers the legality of it all.

The original Star Wars is great because it built on the foundation of what came before it, with reverence being a critical aspect. They also mention subversion being a type of remix, like The Last Jedi, but as we saw with how that one turned out, without reverence for the source material, well, the movie speaks for itself. These videos are 10 years old, and still pretty poignant.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This happens a lot, a lot. There's always the James Cameron Armageddon to whoever made Deep Impact in 1998, which hilariously showed up first in my Google search for "movie about asteroid hitting earth" because I'd forgotten the name of it. Outbreak and Virus in 1995. Volcano and Dante's Peak in 1997.

I'm sure this series has been referenced here before, but if you haven't seen it, it's a good watch and does a quick breakdown on Star Wars and its adaptations from other movies in Part 2, Everything is a Remix, which starts on music, then movies, then the computer, and part 4 covers the legality of it all.

The original Star Wars is great because it built on the foundation of what came before it, with reverence being a critical aspect. They also mention subversion being a type of remix, like The Last Jedi, but as we saw with how that one turned out, without reverence for the source material, well, the movie speaks for itself. These videos are 10 years old, and still pretty poignant.

A Bug's Life and Antz. Abyss and Leviathon. Dark City and The Matrix, they were even filmed on the same sets. Olympus has fallen and White House Down. Gordy and Babe

Fadaar

That guy
A Bug's Life and Antz. Abyss and Leviathon. Dark City and The Matrix, they were even filmed on the same sets. Olympus has fallen and White House Down. Gordy and Babe

and much like the other previously mentioned examples there's a clear cut winner for each of those pairs lol

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
and much like the other previously mentioned examples there's a clear cut winner for each of those pairs lol
Except Dark City isn't tainted by subpar followups.

Also the theatrical cut doesn't exist.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
i liked Antz better.
It's just another insufferable self loathing Woody Allen movie about what life is like to be Woody Allen, except everything is drab brown ants to make it more interesting.

Bugs Life was a fun but forgettable children's movie with colourful characters.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's just another insufferable self loathing Woody Allen movie about what life is like to be Woody Allen, except everything is drab brown ants to make it more interesting.

Bugs Life was a fun but forgettable children's movie with colourful characters.
i guess you have to like Woody Allen movies first. he makes some good films. and all the colors in A Bug's Life to me was actually a drawback because ants are usually brown or red. i thought both movies were fun. A Bug's life is a good movie, its just not as funny as Antz. trust me, i dont like Dreamworks films and they purposefully targeted Pixar films because one of their guys was a Pixar employee and before he was fired, he knew what they were working on. so because he was a faggot, we got "Small Soldiers" in response to Toy Story, Antz in response to A Bug's Life, Shrek in response to Monster's Inc and Shark Tale in response to Finding Nemo.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Always thought Leviathan and Deep Star Six were the copy / paste movies of that era, not The Abyss.