Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah Abrams was the reason TFA was pushed back to December from the originally planned May release. Production is currently slated to begin in January but he would never have a script done by then.

And speaking of the script, reports are now that he'll have a co-writer; Chris Terrio. He did some of the writing on BvS and he also contributed a script to the pile in the dust bin for the Affleck Batman film. He's a fitting choice considering how much Lucasfilm is starting to resemble Warner Brothers in how it's run.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Good...good...just as I had forseen...

I think JJ will feel the pressure to make sure the end of the modern (first modern?) Trilogy is strong and not a dupe of Return of the Jedi or any similar I'll. It probably also matters what KKs plans are long term past IX...

If LJ is successful, coming on the heels of TFA and R1 then they will not want to halt the gravy train anytime soon. Perhaps a pause in the 'main line' before kicking off X XI XII, perhaps to focus on one-off adventures with the modern characters similar to the other standalones? I could see solo movies each focusing on Rey, Poe, and Finn even Kylo Ren and then back to Central plot Avengers-style

Last edited:

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Oh and his first apprentice was nonhuman as well.

According to the EU that was written around him, he was nothing but a tool that palpatine forged to help him kill his master plagieus (who was also not human). Palpatine never intended to pass the mantle to him.

I know that EU is now legends, I only bring it up to show that maul's race doesn't really mean anything in this case.

Royal

If LJ is successful, coming on the heels of TFA and R1 then they will not want to halt the gravy train anytime soon.

Even if TLJ were to bomb they won't take a breather until at least the third anthology movie is released. They've floated a couple of ideas for a post-ST game plan: doing only anthology movies for a while or taking a break from feature SW films altogether and focusing on television/streamed content. I think the direction they go is going to partially depend on how well the Indiana Jones movie does. If it does well enough for them to focus on that movie franchise for a while I can see them putting Star Wars on a hiatus or maybe making a series for Disney's new streaming service while they work the IJ mine.

Royal

So Lord and Miller get run off from Solo because they were injecting too much humor into the production, at least according to the official spin at the time, and KK follows that up by saying it would be a good idea to give a directing job to the guy who made the Marvel movie that most makes fun of itself. A guy who is on record for saying of the idea of getting a Star Wars gig "I like to finish my movies".

This strikes me as one of those things that gets thrown out there purely for PR and not because it has any realistic shot of going anywhere or even that the people involved actually want it to. KK is just trying to offset the perception that she has a gigantic stick up her ass.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Even if TLJ were to bomb they won't take a breather until at least the third anthology movie is released. They've floated a couple of ideas for a post-ST game plan: doing only anthology movies for a while or taking a break from feature SW films altogether and focusing on television/streamed content. I think the direction they go is going to partially depend on how well the Indiana Jones movie does. If it does well enough for them to focus on that movie franchise for a while I can see them putting Star Wars on a hiatus or maybe making a series for Disney's new streaming service while they work the IJ mine.

Let's be honest... not a chance in hell TLJ will bomb. 0%.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
So Lord and Miller get run off from Solo because they were injecting too much humor into the production, at least according to the official spin at the time, and KK follows that up by saying it would be a good idea to give a directing job to the guy who made the Marvel movie that most makes fun of itself. "
And also in most people's opinion in the top 3 to 5 (its in my top 3) Marvel movies of all time, with a D list hero. Come on bro, Thor 3 was fucking awesome regardless of, or in credit of....who cares....tongue in cheek

Royal

Oh I loved Ragnarok and liked Waititi even before that. I just don't believe for a second that KK would honestly want him directing a Star Wars movie on her watch.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I don't think they're opposed to a comedy/light hearted movie, it just depends on the chatacter(s). Han Solo is not a comedc character. He has funny lines, but he's not making fart jokes.

Fadaar

That guy
You kiddin'? He still looks damn near the same as he did 20 years ago. Some of them Brits just have the magic genes.

spronk

FPS noob
before today: Obi Wan Kenobi landed on tatooine, gave owen and beru luke skywalker, and chilled out in his hut building voice modulators and crafting stone furniture

after 2020: Aunt Beru was actually a covert agent for the Galactic Republic, and she and Obi Wan went on many adventures during his 20 years there saving the galaxy from alien threats. They fall in love and have a child who they call Wedge for some weird reason. Also Jabba The Hut keeps visiting Obi Wan as he hunts for a replacement Sarlaac pet. Young Boba Fett is a slave in the Hutt household.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

I've said it before, but it is possible to make what I would consider a good Obi-Wan movie. Something that is as much of a character study as say Logan was for Wolverine. I simply have no faith in Lucasfilm being capable of making that kind of movie. Star Wars is all they do and having a smaller scaled type of film that is allowed make "only" a quarter as much as one of the saga films at the box office doesn't seem to be something they'd be willing to sign up for. It will just end up being a blockbuster lite sort of affair.

• 1Like