Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Despite Hamill saying he’s had “enough,” he leaves the door open to having a conversation to continue the role but doesn’t think there’s more story for Luke to have.
“Well, you never say never. I just don’t see any reason to,” he added. “Let me put it that way: I mean, they have so many stories to tell, they don’t need Luke anymore.”

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
lucas is extremely talented but REALLY needs people around him to tell him, "no." he comes up with crazy ideas and if there's no one to reign him in he just goes off the rails and not in a good way. he needs people around him with foresight to tell him where things are going and all the unintended consequences. he's brilliant at creating worlds but struggles with details. that interview is a perfect example of great insight into what he WANTED out of all that political intrigue in phantom menace, but without any checks and balances in the early stages, it all got bogged down in super boring tedium and by the time he realized what kind of chimera he created, it was too late to do anything about it. all the scenes were dependent on each other so he couldn't even really clean it up much.

people love to hate on executive producers and studio involvement but this is exactly why they exist. the OT made so much money and became such a huge cultural phenomenon that people just let him do whatever he wanted with the faith that everything would all come together but obviously they didn't. but then on the other hand, you have current execs having the exact opposite issue. they have ZERO vision. they fundamentally don't understand what star wars is about and so no matter how "technically competent" the movie is (last jedi notwithstanding, that movie was a mess), it completely falls flat with the audience.

the only thing current star wars (less so with filoni's stuff) is concerned about is making money, whereas lucas never REALLY cared about money. i mean, he did, he absolutely added stuff to his movies specifically for merchandising, but it always came across like the money was a means to an end. the more money he made with star wars, the more freedom he had to do what he wanted with star wars. with current star wars, money is the end goal in and of itself.
Lucas is a World Builder. Probably one of the best in his generation. Right up there along with Tolkien, for example. But he sucks when it comes to the small scale stuff, like character interaction and plot points. It's why Empire is arguable the best SW film, because he only oversaw the general approach to it.

But as a side note, what I don't get about SW now is that you have something like 10+k years of history of the Old Republic to work with. Yet (as far as I know), the only stories deal with the two extreme ends of it, the KOTOR period in the distant past, and the "current age". If you think that, say, a Sith threat emerges once every 500-1000 years or so, that is still 10-20 time frames or so in which to set a new saga, with a new cast and new stories, all within the same galaxy. You could have plots that were nibbed in the bud early on, others that got further, even ones that got to the stage of large scale armed conflict, all without messing with either ends, or disrupting the "flow" of the history of the galaxy. And that is only talking about major events such as Sith uprisings and such. There is a shit ton of smaller stuff that would also be interesting, I mean, it's an entire fucking galaxy spanning 10k years or more.

Damn... now I wish I had some talent to write and build my own universe...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lucas is a World Builder. Probably one of the best in his generation. Right up there along with Tolkien, for example. But he sucks when it comes to the small scale stuff, like character interaction and plot points. It's why Empire is arguable the best SW film, because he only oversaw the general approach to it.

But as a side note, what I don't get about SW now is that you have something like 10+k years of history of the Old Republic to work with. Yet (as far as I know), the only stories deal with the two extreme ends of it, the KOTOR period in the distant past, and the "current age". If you think that, say, a Sith threat emerges once every 500-1000 years or so, that is still 10-20 time frames or so in which to set a new saga, with a new cast and new stories, all within the same galaxy. You could have plots that were nibbed in the bud early on, others that got further, even ones that got to the stage of large scale armed conflict, all without messing with either ends, or disrupting the "flow" of the history of the galaxy. And that is only talking about major events such as Sith uprisings and such. There is a shit ton of smaller stuff that would also be interesting, I mean, it's an entire fucking galaxy spanning 10k years or more.

Damn... now I wish I had some talent to write and build my own universe...
Because you might as well be writing a new IP at that point and they're either too scared or they know they lack the creativity to make it work.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They're hoping one of these directors is going to be the visionary they need. Yet the story group precludes it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not having writers would actually be an improvement, not that we want them to try.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think this season should be like the western tv show Gunsmoke or Little House On The Prairie, I mean you already got the western look.

fris

Vyemm Raider
confused-meme-confused.gif

• 1WTF

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He's fine as Solo but if his impressionist took acting serious and did some drama training he'd be ideal.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Despite Hamill saying he’s had “enough,” he leaves the door open to having a conversation to continue the role but doesn’t think there’s more story for Luke to have.
“Well, you never say never. I just don’t see any reason to,” he added. “Let me put it that way: I mean, they have so many stories to tell, they don’t need Luke anymore.”

Correction. We still need Luke, we DON'T need Mark Hamill. This pains me to say ,as someone for whom the character as portrayed by him was a huge influence on my life growing up (Star Wars was literally the first movie I remember seeing in a theater), but they do need a recast Luke. Someone in his early 30's probably, to properly do out Heir to the Empire and show a (recast) Leia rebuilding the republic, while a recast Luke rebuilds the Jedi order, and a recast Han bangs every chick across a Galaxy far far away until he settles for Leia.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Correction. We still need Luke, we DON'T need Mark Hamill. This pains me to say ,as someone for whom the character as portrayed by him was a huge influence on my life growing up (Star Wars was literally the first movie I remember seeing in a theater), but they do need a recast Luke. Someone in his early 30's probably, to properly do out Heir to the Empire and show a (recast) Leia rebuilding the republic, while a recast Luke rebuilds the Jedi order, and a recast Han bangs every chick across a Galaxy far far away until he settles for Leia.
Han wasnt supposed to be a pussy monster. he was supposed to be a pirate, scoundrel and all around dick. dude shot first, no fucks given, only cared about getting paid. then he thirsted for Leia and those luscious space melons. thats when he changed. Harrison Ford was as close to Sean Connery's James Bond as there was. they cant find a good enough Bond after him and they wont find a good enough Han Solo.

Goatface

Lucasfilm and Disney announced on Tuesday that two new "Star Wars" movies will be released in 2026 — one on May 22, 2026, and one on Dec. 18, 2026

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Lucasfilm and Disney announced on Tuesday that two new "Star Wars" movies will be released in 2026 — one on May 22, 2026, and one on Dec. 18, 2026
i wonder who will be running Lucasfilm in 2026? hopefully its still Kathleen Kennedy. imagine waiting 7 years to make a new Star Wars film and it still fucking bombs.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i wonder who will be running Lucasfilm in 2026? hopefully its still Kathleen Kennedy. imagine waiting 7 years to make a new Star Wars film and it still fucking bombs.

If Iger is still CEO in 2026 there is another hiatus coming.

• 1Like