Star Wars Squadrons

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All this has done for me so far is make me want to fire up X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Haven't played either in ages.

Need to find a decent joystick though.

I'm set. Been gathering dust since everyone else quite Eite Dangus.

1592663559262.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Elite Dangerous in VR with a hotas setup was an amazing experience. Flying around a station and using your head to track it outside the cockpit window, flipping the ship around and then jamming the throttle all the way forward to zoom through an opening in the structure... unf
Exactly. VR really shines already in genres where the player is stationary inside a vehicle, no matter what kind of vehicle.

people who've only done HL Alyx or similar "FPS" games in VR shouldn't let those bad first impressions count.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Exactly. VR really shines already in genres where the player is stationary inside a vehicle, no matter what kind of vehicle.

people who've only done HL Alyx or similar "FPS" games in VR shouldn't let those bad first impressions count.
Yeah this game looks like the one to finally invest, hopefully it integrates with joystick normal controls, and the VR is just the visuals not the flight controls. i.e you are still sitting while doing it. Might be worth investing finally in a nicer video card to go full ham.

I also am sad to hear the single player campaign is playing 2nd fiddle, a really long, interesting story based single player campaign is what I loved about tie fighter. ALso fuck being forced to play as the rebels, Empire all the way.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Yeah this game looks like the one to finally invest, hopefully it integrates with joystick normal controls, and the VR is just the visuals not the flight controls. i.e you are still sitting while doing it. Might be worth investing finally in a nicer video card to go full ham.

I also am sad to hear the single player campaign is playing 2nd fiddle, a really long, interesting story based single player campaign is what I loved about tie fighter. ALso fuck being forced to play as the rebels, Empire all the way.

At least there IS a single player campaign. I remember when XvT first came out...

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

If you VR *this*, you're gonna need a 2080 at the very least. (with one of the stronger VR headsets that is)

But yes you're sitting while playing E-D in VR, so will be the same here - which is precisely the reason why VR is so good in games like these.

Last edited:

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
If you VR *this*, you're gonna need a 2080 at the very least. (with one of the stronger VR headsets that is)

But yes you're sitting while playing E-D in VR, so will be the same here - which is precisely the reason why VR is so good in games like these.
Yeah I figured, but with the new 30XX coming out from Nvidia hoping the price drops are real.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I'm set. Been gathering dust since everyone else quite Eite Dangus.

View attachment 279183
They could make so much fucking money if they put out a decent game with vr, sell some flight thing for 200 bucks and have it be like elite dangerous. Fucking retarded fucks. I would spend $100 and then buy a flight stick if the game were good.

ED but amazing in the star wars world. Multiplayer, shit going on, things and stuff. All we get are half baked silly things that are pure trash.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's cliche but I was trying to wait for the next gen of VR. Granted I don't think something that works great for call of duty is happening anytime soon until we get brain Jack's that completely take over our senses.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
There is apparently a stress test of this happening this weekend. Only saw a notification about it after the registration deadline had passed. Very angry at myself for not checking my promotions folder and angry at Google for only having the relevant email show up in my feed today.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
-Very responsive controls.
-High skill gap.
-All the ships play differently, have roles, customized loadouts.
-Tactical controls, like drifting and "air-breaks".
-Lots of Modes: Death Matches, Team Death Match, Team Objective Missions, etc.
-AI + PC fighters litter the maps. Dozens and dozens of fighters dog-fighting amongst the capital ships and space installations.
-Capital ships have subsystems like shield generators, laser batteries, all of which can be destroyed. Capital ship engine will fry fighters that fly too close to them.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's the point of any of this dogfighting when you can just build a hyperdrive capable missile and

lZbNzGpb0EYuhOHPTyLMpnsjm6lQNDjVsVuIM7RYQ0LZ_tzn3I7rHiz1T4IHAVz14vXONTmwduSo7nxpGo23Cs4gCg49GNMuh0cksRQC52dM_jnjFNGzX4wjtc2D32Q

• 1Barf
  • 1RAGE

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the cockpit view is cool but the novelty will wear off quickly... I'm hoping (assuming) you can change the HUD.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
are they going to desecrate the memory of x-wing vs tie fighter too? was about as good of a space combat game as you will ever get.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
What's the point of any of this dogfighting when you can just build a hyperdrive capable missile and

lZbNzGpb0EYuhOHPTyLMpnsjm6lQNDjVsVuIM7RYQ0LZ_tzn3I7rHiz1T4IHAVz14vXONTmwduSo7nxpGo23Cs4gCg49GNMuh0cksRQC52dM_jnjFNGzX4wjtc2D32Q
Look at Empire running around building deathstars, and planet killers and super star destroyers like chumps.

Although as it turns out it's not the ship going into hyperspace that causes the damage, it's the weight of the character being sacrificed that does it. You need to have had a minimum of 5 minutes of screen time in a starwars movie, with dialogue, in order to pull off this maneuver.

Characters with less exposure than that can still crash into enemy ships but they will only be able to destroy small sections of the enemy craft equivalent to the ship they are piloting.

That limits the total number of potential fleet disrupting hyper missiles to the dozens. Once those sacrifices have been made, there will be no one left to carry on the story and the war will end as everyone who is left just walks off, stealing what they can on their way out.

The true power of the empire is the fact that hordes of nameless npcs can destroy the galaxy so long as there is at least one partially crippled angry person sitting in an uncomfortable chair to give the orders.

The rebels on the other hand have to sacrifice minor characters to achieve any meaningful victory. This makes recruitment really hard. So basically what ends up happening is anyone who can't pass the empire employment screening program defaults back to either smuggling, running a cantina, operating a junkyard, opening a merchant stall, farming or as an absolute last resort, joining the rebels.

So it's not that the rebels haven't known about hyperdriving their way to victory, it's more about the fact that they are desperately fighting public perception that The Rebels inc. is where careers in the space fighting industry go to die. Incorporating self destruction as a primary tactic is the last thing HR wants to see.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Look at Empire running around building deathstars, and planet killers and super star destroyers like chumps.

Although as it turns out it's not the ship going into hyperspace that causes the damage, it's the weight of the character being sacrificed that does it. You need to have had a minimum of 5 minutes of screen time in a starwars movie, with dialogue, in order to pull off this maneuver.

Characters with less exposure than that can still crash into enemy ships but they will only be able to destroy small sections of the enemy craft equivalent to the ship they are piloting.

That limits the total number of potential fleet disrupting hyper missiles to the dozens. Once those sacrifices have been made, there will be no one left to carry on the story and the war will end as everyone who is left just walks off, stealing what they can on their way out.

The true power of the empire is the fact that hordes of nameless npcs can destroy the galaxy so long as there is at least one partially crippled angry person sitting in an uncomfortable chair to give the orders.

The rebels on the other hand have to sacrifice minor characters to achieve any meaningful victory. This makes recruitment really hard. So basically what ends up happening is anyone who can't pass the empire employment screening program defaults back to either smuggling, running a cantina, operating a junkyard, opening a merchant stall, farming or as an absolute last resort, joining the rebels.

So it's not that the rebels haven't known about hyperdriving their way to victory, it's more about the fact that they are desperately fighting public perception that The Rebels inc. is where careers in the space fighting industry go to die. Incorporating self destruction as a primary tactic is the last thing HR wants to see.
This is the video games forum, sir.

(Keep this shit in the half a dozen Star Wars movie threads.)

• 1Salty
  • 1Faggotry

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Imagine having a squad of 4 for a capital ship. One for navigation (support), one for shields (tank), one for weapons (dps), and one for damage repair (healer). It's like a squad based mini mmo inside a tactical fighting game.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Imagine having a squad of 4 for a capital ship. One for navigation (support), one for shields (tank), one for weapons (dps), and one for damage repair (healer). It's like a squad based mini mmo inside a tactical fighting game.

Now imagine a droid in priest's robes.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This sounds like it would be fun until you actually tried to implement it. DPS sounds fun, damage control could definitely be really fun if you made the instrumentation interesting.

But how many buttons could you give that "tank" player to make it interesting? Or navigation? You'd probably have to combine that into a single role. Maybe the 4th role could be the guy that directs the NPC fighter squadrons, which would basically be a Necromancer or some other multi-pet class.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user