Star Wars Squadrons

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You don't even need all that jazz. A couple of laser blasts to the shield generators and a single kamikaze pilot at normal flight speed is all you need.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This sounds like it would be fun until you actually tried to implement it. DPS sounds fun, damage control could definitely be really fun if you made the instrumentation interesting.

But how many buttons could you give that "tank" player to make it interesting? Or navigation? You'd probably have to combine that into a single role. Maybe the 4th role could be the guy that directs the NPC fighter squadrons, which would basically be a Necromancer or some other multi-pet class.

I just assumed that you would use 2 buttons to tank and that it would be pretty boring. This is coming from a tank main in WoW until WotLK so I know something about boring tanking.

My favorite memory from XvT was in the progression of the Rebel missions there were a few that were fairly short and straight forward and then on the old computer in 1996 the next level took about 10 times the amount of time to load than the previous mission. It turned out that the mission starts out routine and then a Star Destroyer jumps into your location and the largest battle of the missions up to that point happens.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The healer actually sounds like the most fun part of the idea. Sending droids and technicians to repair different parts of the ship. Shutting down parts of the ship if they're on fire before the fire spreads to other areas, etc.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You don't even need all that jazz. A couple of laser blasts to the shield generators and a single kamikaze pilot at normal flight speed is all you need.

ANH and ROTJ space battles inspired an entire generation of video games. Actually, more than one generation of video games, more like 3 generations of video games. The Hoth battle inspired many major titles as well.

The prequels had pod racing and that was basically stolen FROM video games. It did have some neat droid battles.

The sequel trilogy inspired literally nothing.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
If we're getting serious about crewing large ships the the roles can be split into

Fire Control Systems

Controls offensive ship batteries with long range capabilities. This station draws power it stores in large banks then targets ands releases the stored energy.

Interface award: more accurate weapons, more efficient weapons or more damaging weapons.

Shields and point defense.

Has a set amount of power allocated to it. Determines the ratio of power split between shields and turrets. Shields defend against other capital weapons, turrets defend against enemy fighters and ordinance.

Can divert power to localised areas for more effective defense at the cost of leaving other areas unprotected.

Interface award: granted more efficient systems that allow larger areas to be protected with focused defenses.

Comms / Sensors

Sets relays between other capital ships that boost capital ship capabilities. The more ships in a comm relay chain the bigger the boost. This chain boost provides additional command points.

Sets tactical targets that relay better information to any fighter that targets it.

Interface award: Engages in hostile communication jamming that is a mini game between two opposing comms officers. The winner disrupts the opponents comm capabilities and can even blind sensors.

Command.

Uses a pool of command points determined by, officer level, ship hull, comms relay bonus. Points regenerate slowly or are awarded when command objectives are completed.

Sets objectives for fighter squadrons. Dictates navigation of capital ship. Places markers for navigational aid.

Interface award: issues orders that buff friendly craft within a certain zone on the battlefield.

Engineering

Sets power allocation levels to fcs, shields, main engines. Handles repair of damaged ship systems by ordering droid and repair crews.

Interface award: Can overcharge reactors for short periods of time to allocate large amounts of power.

Each station has a mini game interface that if handled successfully increases the output of that station/awards buffs to it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If we're getting serious about crewing large ships the the roles can be split into

Fire Control Systems

Controls offensive ship batteries with long range capabilities. This station draws power it stores in large banks then targets ands releases the stored energy.

Interface award: more accurate weapons, more efficient weapons or more damaging weapons.

Shields and point defense.

Has a set amount of power allocated to it. Determines the ratio of power split between shields and turrets. Shields defend against other capital weapons, turrets defend against enemy fighters and ordinance.

Can divert power to localised areas for more effective defense at the cost of leaving other areas unprotected.

Interface award: granted more efficient systems that allow larger areas to be protected with focused defenses.

Comms / Sensors

Sets relays between other capital ships that boost capital ship capabilities. The more ships in a comm relay chain the bigger the boost. This chain boost provides additional command points.

Sets tactical targets that relay better information to any fighter that targets it.

Interface award: Engages in hostile communication jamming that is a mini game between two opposing comms officers. The winner disrupts the opponents comm capabilities and can even blind sensors.

Command.

Uses a pool of command points determined by, officer level, ship hull, comms relay bonus. Points regenerate slowly or are awarded when command objectives are completed.

Sets objectives for fighter squadrons. Dictates navigation of capital ship. Places markers for navigational aid.

Interface award: issues orders that buff friendly craft within a certain zone on the battlefield.

Engineering

Sets power allocation levels to fcs, shields, main engines. Handles repair of damaged ship systems by ordering droid and repair crews.

Interface award: Can overcharge reactors for short periods of time to allocate large amounts of power.

Each station has a mini game interface that if handled successfully increases the output of that station/awards buffs to it.
Black Battlecruisers Matter.

1595703823236.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This sounds like it would be fun until you actually tried to implement it. DPS sounds fun, damage control could definitely be really fun if you made the instrumentation interesting.

But how many buttons could you give that "tank" player to make it interesting? Or navigation? You'd probably have to combine that into a single role. Maybe the 4th role could be the guy that directs the NPC fighter squadrons, which would basically be a Necromancer or some other multi-pet class.
You are mostly describing that Star Trek Bridge simulator game that came out recently, which was fine for a VR demo, but not especially fun as a multiplayer game. And in single player, the game had major difficulty spike issues. Not a bad game, just wish they did more with it. Starfleet Acadamy back in the day by Interplay was closer to the mark.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wait, Ties have shields? Blasphemy.
Tie Advanced did in the OG Trilogy (it is why Vader survives a hit from the Falcon's quad turret). In old cannon, the Tie Defenders, Tie Phantoms, and elite Tie Fighters had limited shields. The regular standard TIEs, Interceptors, and Bombers never had shields. The Tie Advance featured very prominently in the original Tie Fighter game and its expansions and was the main ship of the POV character (Marrek) in those games. In fact, if you are into their minuatures game, XWing, he is one of the named Tie Advanced pilots.

/nerd off

Edit- Slightly beaten to the trigger by Eeyore.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Tie Advanced did in the OG Trilogy (it is why Vader survives a hit from the Falcon's quad turret). In old cannon, the Tie Defenders, Tie Phantoms, and elite Tie Fighters had limited shields. The regular standard TIEs, Interceptors, and Bombers never had shields. The Tie Advance featured very prominently in the original Tie Fighter game and its expansions and was the main ship of the POV character (Marrek) in those games. In fact, if you are into their minuatures game, XWing, he is one of the named Tie Advanced pilots.

/nerd off

Edit- Slightly beaten to the trigger by Eeyore.
You dare to nerdsplain to me when I know full well those models not in this game had them :)

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well I will be slightly pissed if they do not at least have the Advanced and Defender in this game, as those are long running fan favorites of Tie Fighter Wars players. The Gunboat and Missile Boat I can understand since they were kind of invented whole cloth by the TFW designers to give the imps something like a Y wing or B Wing, though I really enjoyed missions with those ships as well. Really, I like a lot of the more obscure Rebel ships they introduced as options in the later games (XWing vs Tie and XWing Alliance) like the T-Wing and Z98, not to mention all the pirate craft options. I would love to see this game get to that point. Because squaring off with nothing but a bunch of X-Wings vs a bunch of hamster ball with pea shooter death traps will get stale fast.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Edit- Just looked at it and like, ugh. No B Wing even? That stupid U Wing from Rogue One in place of the B Wing? And that assault lander instead of a fucking Tie Advance? Expectations tempered, I guess. Online will be nothing but wall to wall interceptors, just like XvT was.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The most important thing to me is that I can play only vs bots and have fun. I'm sick and tired of all these awesome games being super competitive pvp only, I had a massive blast in War Thunder against mostly bot teams where I often scored 5 to 8 kills until the game decided nuh-uh no more fun for you, you will now get matched against pure player teams in bigger and better tanks, go fuck yourself. Dropped it within an hour. And that's just how all the decent heavily combat focused games these days seem to work.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The most important thing to me is that I can play only vs bots and have fun. I'm sick and tired of all these awesome games being super competitive pvp only, I had a massive blast in War Thunder against mostly bot teams where I often scored 5 to 8 kills until the game decided nuh-uh no more fun for you, you will now get matched against pure player teams in bigger and better tanks, go fuck yourself. Dropped it within an hour. And that's just how all the decent heavily combat focused games these days seem to work.

I'm with you. I used to be a really competitive gamer. Became tops at every game I played back in the day. All Blizzard - WC3 (reached top 50 once!), D2 (selling UnID Windforce on ebay), WoW (one of the first AQ clears as Alliance), Hearthstone. But I just can't sink the time anymore. I want to be good at OW so bad but I can't get out of silver and that's shameful compared to how good I know I used to be. So now it's Ghost of Tsushima, Witcher 3, HZD, BotW. I need find a geriatric, well, mid-30s league to play in.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users