Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
As an alternative theory
Rey might be the daughter of Ezra from the Rebels cartoon, since the age would be consistent. I don't think she'd be some random force-sensitive that Luke trained so she has to be related to a known character. This would also avoid Luke having to mindrape her which I don't think Disney would go with. We also have no idea who Max von Sydow's character (Lor San Tekka according to imdb) actually is but the fact he was on Jakku can't be ignored.
Expanded Universe is not canon and Disney explicitly wiped all that shit clean when they bought the franchise so this is a nope.

JJ Abrams already said her last name was intentionally excluded from the first film so that leaves us with she's either a second child of Han and Leia or she's Luke's off spring.

Should this be seen in 3D or 2D? I usually dislike 3D because of motion blur, but occasionally there's a movie that does it well like Mad Max. Opinions?
I felt like 3d really enhanced the experience. It was very much in the vein of Mad Max in that regards. Not too overdone.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
My rule of thumb for 3D is to skip it unless the only way to watch something on the big beautiful IMAX screen is in 3D. Of course, that is typically the case these days.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I stood in line with my parents to watch the original Star Wars on opening day, and I loved this one, even though I can wish that a few things had been a little different. Overall it was about as close to what I wanted from a new Star Wars movie as anyone was likely to get. I particularly liked Rey, even with a few of the issues people are mentioning.

I'm not going to say the same things dozens already have (mostly in spoilers), so I'll just say that I would give it a 9/10, and I saw it in IMAX 3D and not once did I ever think about the fact that it was in 3D in a negative way. Most of the time I didn't even notice it, but when it worked, it worked well. One time there was a giant fucking star destroyer filling the screen and I literally felt like it was going to crush me like a bug.

There is almost always something to nitpick, and people will always have different opinions, but I really have a hard time seeing how anyone would actually say it was bad, so it is definitely worth seeing even if it doesn't personally blow you away.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Expanded Universe is not canon and Disney explicitly wiped all that shit clean when they bought the franchise so this is a nope.

JJ Abrams already said her last name was intentionally excluded from the first film so that leaves us with she's either a second child of Han and Leia or she's Luke's off spring.

I felt like 3d really enhanced the experience. It was very much in the vein of Mad Max in that regards. Not too overdone.
Hodj the shows Star Wars: Rebels and Clone Wars aren't EU, as far as I know they are included in official canon now.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I loved every goddamn second of it. My faith in JJ was rewarded; he delivered.

It isn't going to win best picture or best actor, but as a re-start to the Star Wars franchise, I don't think you could reasonably ask for much more. This was Star Wars done right.

Slacker242

Lord Nagafen Raider
My biggest criticism is the pace from getting from point A to point B. This obviously needed to be split into 2 movies at the least. Quite frankly, this movie had enough story to dive into that TFA could have been it's own trilogy. On the other hand, Ford, Hamill and Fisher aren't getting any younger. They need to move the story along. Let's face it.. Disney paid billions for this and needs to make it's money. All those plot holes people keep complaining about will make more spin-off movies in the future. I can think of dozens of plot lines I want to see.

Malakriss

There's going to be at least 30 minutes of theater quality removed scenes that didn't make it in since Disney wanted to keep the runtime down (mo $$$). Then nerds can argue which cut is better and buy all the Blu-rays.

Siliconemelons

Saw it on an imax dome, was awesome- movie was awesome.

knowing before or not, if you didn't know Ren was going to off Han then yeah... It obvious Rey is Ren's brother or Luke's kid.. I thought Luke looked badass and his acting was all emotion - this was because, it was fairly well implied - Rey was his kid, or is his niece and if its gone this far then shit must be going down. If Leia let Ren still go get Luke then the destruction of mega death star was, like the first time- not a killing blow- if the empire still had the resources to make this then its far from over. I think the looks and expressions of "whoa" Poe had when he was taken to the main base shows that the Rebellion thinks the empire is rag tag, but obviously not.-- all in all, loved it cannot wait for 8 and 9!

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
If you can see it in IMAX, see it in IMAX according to this article which has a few screenshots comparing IMAX vs non. Thats true 70mm IMAX though, not digital IMAX (I honestly don't know the diff). Only one scene was shot in an IMAX camera tho. The movie was filmed in 35mm film, single camera except for the one IMAX camera scene so the 3D was added post production.
Why Star Wars: The Force Awakens Needs To Be Seen In IMAX - CINEMABLEND
Yeah this is the version I saw it in at the Indiana State Museum. It has a true 70mm film projection copy. Most modern IMAX screens are a bit smaller and use digital projection. Id be surprised if you could find a digital IMAX theater that wasn't showing it in 3D.

The desert chase MF scene is the one they shot w/ IMAX, and it was very well done. That being said, unless you live close to one of the handful of 2d IMAX's with the 70mm copies, it's not worth it to go way out of your way to see it one.

spronk

FPS noob
JJ Abrams has said there is at least 20 minutes of cut footage from the release movie, I hope they just do one bluray release and not a shitty theater release and extended release down the road

Also fandango confirmed TFA is the highest grossing film on fandango so far. Not opening weekend, TFA has already beaten ticket purchases on their site over every other movies entire release cycle. Only question is now what will it do opening weekend domestic and globally - $300m and $1b or more?
Tickets: Sales on Fandango Top All Movies | Variety

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I also loved that
one of the first things you see are stormtroopers not missing and doing badass stormtrooper shit. I fucking knew he would do that, set the tone right off that they were serious business. OF course, their aim gets suspect a bit later, but I definitely felt a bit more menace from them than I ever did in the originals.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
it's funny how quick people are to white knight this movie when confronted with its many glaring weaknesses.
It'll get torn to shreds in a few weeks once the aura fades. The bitter people will go one way while the fanboys go the other. I'm sticking with my 7/10.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Oh, and as far as...

... the fight with Kylo Ren? He wasn't fully trained. It seems like Snoke sent him off unprepared. That's why he was recalling Ren at the end. Yeah, it shouldn't have gone as well for Rey as it did, I think, but I think we're also giving Ren too much credit.

Also... Snoke? Probably my biggest gripe. What the fuck kind of evil name is Snoke?

spronk

FPS noob
DFbyVRn.gif

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
Loved how they captured the aura and aesthetic of the originals, liked the characters, hated how contrived the plot was. The ending was emotionally all over the place but still powerful.

Can anyone tell me if it was explicitly Coruscant that got destroyed by the Starkiller or if it was just some generic capital world?

Merrith

Loved how they captured the aura and aesthetic of the originals, liked the characters, hated how contrived the plot was. The ending was emotionally all over the place but still powerful.

Can anyone tell me if it was explicitly Coruscant that got destroyed by the Starkiller or if it was just some generic capital world?
They never said Coruscant in the movie as far as I can remember, and considering they avoided any other planet we know from canon good chance it was some random planet. Also if you figure the First Order still had the resources to build that fucking thing, let alone that the Rebel Alliance is still referred to as "The Resistance"...I have a hard time believing that the Empire/First Order had been pushed off Coruscant. Of course that's all just guesswork, but as far as I know the planet wasn't named. They may have named the system when everyone saw the weapon fire.