Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Slacker242

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw it again with my kids yesterday. I have seen this twice now, once on Friday and again on Monday. I actually liked it even better the second time.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Loved the movie, only quibble is with Kylo being introduced as super power level Dark side badass, then the wut moment when he takes off his helm and throws little tantrums, then the really wut moment when he get's his ass kicked. No way someone with years of training get's his ass kicked like that, injury or not. I'll just tell myself he held back fighting her because he didn't want to kill her for reasons mentioned in the thread.

I'm calling the series will have a long slow redemption arc for Kylo and a long slow corruption arc for Ren and we'll end up with a fight between the two at the end but Kylo will be light and Ren will be dark. Ren's abandonment issues will set her down the path of the dark side.
I kept getting the feeling Kylo is NOT a super power dark side badass. He is barely trained, abandoned his old master, and his new master did not trust him until he killed his father. He has a ton of raw ability and none of the discipline required to be a "Vader" or even a "Luke". Rey obviously will, and should be, tested by the dark side in future movies...thats how this shit goes. But she is framed as a HERO, and I doubt they will Anakin skywalker her.

Column_sl

shitlord
Rey was born 11 years after Endor, why do people keep thinking she has an Obi-Wan line
Ben could have had a girl in every port. One of those many bastards children could have been Rey...

I seriously doubt Disney will ever go that route, and that is the only thing you should be arguing.

Although they did show old Ben romancing that one princess in the Star Wars animated series.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
When you guys give Empire a 9.5/10 what is that scale based on? How potentially good a Star Wars movies can be? I hope that's the case, because while I'll admit that Empire is a generally good movie, it isn't The Godfather or anything.

spronk

FPS noob
my biggest nitpick is the naming of some of the characters. kylo ren should have been kylo scabies or something, ren is WAY too close to rey so its confusing as fuck when people say rey vs ren and you think they made a typo or something.

also snoke as a bad guys name is just the worst, this is all i can think of
qef94uW.jpg

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ben could have had a girl in every port. One of those many bastards children could have been Rey...

I seriously doubt Disney will ever go that route, and that is the only thing you should be arguing.
Obi wan the ramblin man would be fucking great.

Get Ewan Macgregor on the phone!

Banging space broads on his way to tattoine, going to Mos eisley and tearing up alien puss on the weekends.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
There were some 20-somethings at work yesterday talking about Star Wars. They'd watched the original trilogy as a lead-up to TFA and were just amazed at how awful the writing and acting were, giving the special effects a pass and acknowledging they were considered great in the context of when the movies were released. They were a bit surprised when I agreed that the actual movies were quite terrible, which led them to question why Star Wars had become such a cultural phenomenon. My take was that they came out at a perfect time and that the quality/production values meshed with a then-unsated demand for such an epic, grand scale space saga.

Anyways, my point is it was funny listening to them tear apart plot holes and the 'unrealistic' reactions of Luke, Han, Leia etc. in various situations because it reminded me of threads like this one, with TFA as the target.

It's not just the prequels that were shit, the original movies were also pretty fucking bad. And this comes from somebody who still ranks ESB at the top of his list, but again, it's pretty hard to top the emotional impact of seeing that story unfold on the big screen as an 8 year old.

I get people who weren't into Star Wars watching and shitting on TFA as a piece of art or 'movie', but people who've been into Star Wars from the beginning? I find it odd and even a bit hypocritical, assuming you liked the steaming pile that came previously.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I would imagine they would have to release the power or the planet ends up with a sun inside it. Easier to shoot a planet from apparently far far away than move your deathstarV3.
Not an astronomer nor physicist here, but to nitpick on that line of thought, I'd think that absorbing your entire local star within a planet (which presumably has a smaller radius than the original star) would be a great way to make a black hole or at least a supernova / neutron star. Also, I'd think that it'd be pretty hard to aim against a target lightyears away now that you've just f'd up your orbit. It might not be impossible, but it's not like they can turn the energy beam after the fact. Although if you can split your beam up to hit a planet and a few moons, maybe you can steer the beam.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I think I need to rewatch the originals to wipe away my 1st grade nerd jizz from two decades ago.

Lenaldo

Agreed. If you don't like TFA I question if you really enjoy star wars at all. It was imo a perfect reboot of star wars using 2015 technology. Is it a perfect movie? No. But for what star wars is supposed to be its great. You guys have some rose colored glasses on if u think its a bad star wars movie. I hated the prequels... But TFA is a great star wars movie. Stop being "old man yells at clouds" and enjoy it for what it is... If you want a deep thinking movie go see one of those... I enjoyed the movie for what it is... And supposed to be.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Rey was born 11 years after Endor, why do people keep thinking she has an Obi-Wan lineage...
The theory I've seen is based on Clone Wars and is that Obi-Wan had a brief relationship with the Mandalorian Satine Kryze when he served as her protector while he was still a padawan. I haven't watched so much as a full episode of that series so I am clueless about any of the specifics beyond that.

Neph_sl

shitlord
There were some 20-somethings at work yesterday talking about Star Wars. They'd watched the original trilogy as a lead-up to TFA and were just amazed at how awful the writing and acting were, giving the special effects a pass and acknowledging they were considered great in the context of when the movies were released. They were a bit surprised when I agreed that the actual movies were quite terrible, which led them to question why Star Wars had become such a cultural phenomenon. My take was that they came out at a perfect time and that the quality/production values meshed with a then-unsated demand for such an epic, grand scale space saga.

Anyways, my point is it was funny listening to them tear apart plot holes and the 'unrealistic' reactions of Luke, Han, Leia etc. in various situations because it reminded me of threads like this one, with TFA as the target.

It's not just the prequels that were shit, the original movies were also pretty fucking bad. And this comes from somebody who still ranks ESB at the top of his list, but again, it's pretty hard to top the emotional impact of seeing that story unfold on the big screen as an 8 year old.

I get people who weren't into Star Wars watching and shitting on TFA as a piece of art or 'movie', but people who've been into Star Wars from the beginning? I find it odd and even a bit hypocritical, assuming you liked the steaming pile that came previously.
I'm definitely in the same camp as the 20-somethings at your work.

Although I'm going through the other 6 movies in order now (finished 1-4, 5-6 tomorrow night) after seeing TFA on Sunday. And having just watched 4 last night in an HD remaster, you can see the shabbiness of some of the production elements. Wife and I understand that the movie is almost 40 years old at this point, but the production is pretty amusing. Nowadays, there are cosplayers with amazing looking costumes, but in ANH you look at Vader or R2 / 3PO and can see the paint lines or stickers that looks like they're flaking off. Also, there's a lot more smoke / blaster shots in 4 compared to 1-3 which was pretty apparent. I'm not saying it's bad though, just that the difference in quality 40 years can make is amusing.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agreed. If you don't like TFA I question if you really enjoy star wars at all. It was imo a perfect reboot of star wars using 2015 technology. Is it a perfect movie? No. But for what star wars is supposed to be its great. You guys have some rose colored glasses on if u think its a bad star wars movie. I hated the prequels... But TFA is a great star wars movie. Stop being "old man yells at clouds" and enjoy it for what it is... If you want a deep thinking movie go see one of those... I enjoyed the movie for what it is... And supposed to be.
if you don't like the force awakens you don't really like Star Wars? Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The theory I've seen is based on Clone Wars and is that Obi-Wan had a brief relationship with the Mandalorian Satine Kryze when he served as her protector while he was still a padawan. I haven't watched so much as a full episode of that series so I am clueless about any of the specifics beyond that.
Must have been a long ass pregnancy then to be born 11 years after ROTJ.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

Yeah the originals haven't aged as well as some would like to make out. Some of their campiness doesn't translate well at all. And many of the acting performances are jarring by today's standards.

Tell your 20-something co-workers that if they want a fuller appreciation of the original context in which Star Wars came out they should spend a month or so watching 2-3 movies per week from '76-'77 while at the same time imagining what it would be like to have never played a video or computer game in their entire lives.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Supreme Leader Snoke is a head-scratcher because from his appearance he looks to be rather old which would mean he was around during Palpatine's time. So he's one of three things

1) A previous Sith (like Darth Plageis the Wise) who managed to survive as a contemporary of Palpatine (perhaps an Inquisitor?) or hide out where he couldn't be found.

2) A dark side user who is not of the Sith tradition from somewhere on the outer rim. This could be reinforced by the mind probe and stop blaster bolt abilities that Kylo Ren manifest that seem genuinely different than Sith abilities seen to date.

3) Wizard of Oz. I raised this theory earlier, but 'Snoke' could be some other entity that is manipulating things behind the scenes without any real dark side power. That doesnt seem as likely given some of the conversations he had with Kylo Ren about feeling the awakening etc. It also doesn't completely rule out the possibility that Luke is doing a reverse Palpatine as some theorized before the movie began, but killing billions of people to maintain the illusion of a collared dark-side seems unlikely.

Lenaldo

if you don't like the force awakens you don't really like Star Wars? Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.
Meh. I dunno what more you would want in a star wars movie. This really feels like a bunch of people who saw star wars as kids and have built it up to be some marvel of cinema. It's not. It's a fun story in a cool universe.. Which the new movie delivered on.

Someone could redo everquest with exactly the same mechanics, but better graphics and you would bitch the same. It's not about the quality of the product, you want to relive the feeling you had as a kid watching the movies. Unfortunately you haven't realized its you that has changed... Not the movies. I took 2 8 year olds and they loved it.. Said it was "way" better than the original 3 and even the prequels. I'm sure I would have felt the same at 8 as well. I think Abrams did about as good of a job as could be done. No more glowstick lightsaber battles.. Not overly done with cgi. Great music.... Fun story(although heavily a repeat of ANH).