Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Decent film, but quite underwhelming considering all the praise and rave online. A bit too many throwbacks, another deathstar plot, another droid with vital information. Felt a bit like that there was no real point to all the previous movies. The empire never really went away, and now the Rebellion is the Resistance. Why was lukes lightsaber blue? Why did they put R2D2, surely a legendary hero from the past, under a piece of cloth in a corner in the rebel base? The whole Han Solo back in smuggling buisiness was just so contrived. The villains were not impressive.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Felt a bit like that there was no real point to all the previous movies. The empire never really went away, and now the Rebellion is the Resistance.
But that's kind of how life is, right? Why would you expect everybody from the Empire to just say "well, that's that. Guess I'll change my ideology"? It's like Germany in WWI to WWII

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
One thing I wondered: why does a faction that can dismantle stars at whim need to engage in war with rebels? Just go create new systems. Plenty of real estate out there.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Wouldn't that be a bit like being king of your own desert island though? And there must be a sense of ownership of whatever it is the current government is in charge of

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Why was lukes lightsaber blue?
Uhhh ... because if it was some other color it would have been inconsistent with the OT?

luke.jpg

star-wars-the-force-awakens-photos-f70b4f7908c99c52.jpg

There are some shots in ANH that it looks white. That's because in the first special effects pass they (his and Ben's) were white and there are some places that they didn't get blue coloration quite right when it was added. But it's been pretty well established for a long time now that it had a blue beam.

Wow ....

Royal

It was linked several pages back but it was over a week ago and it might have been taken down by now.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Uhhh ... because if it was some other color it would have been inconsistent with the OT?

luke.jpg

star-wars-the-force-awakens-photos-f70b4f7908c99c52.jpg

There are some shots in ANH that it looks white. That's because in the first special effects pass they (his and Ben's) were white and there are some places that they didn't get blue coloration quite right when it was added. But it's been pretty well established for a long time now that it had a blue beam.

Wow ....
Yes... and then he dropped it at the sky city and made a green one. Well, I guess it's possible that maz kanata found it somehow from there, but why not the green one he made for himself?

rrr_img_121861.jpg

Royal

Yes... and then he dropped it at the sky city and made a green one. Well, I guess it's possible that maz kanata found it somehow from there, but why not the green one he made for himself?
Presumably he still has that one. We have no information to suggest that he doesn't.

And Maz told Han how she came to posses his old lightsaber was a story for another time just before her dive was attacked by the FO.

Royal

He wanted it because it was Anakin's of course, after he had gone Sith.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He might be so advanced from going all Yoda forever that he no longer feels the need for a saber either. Could have left the green one behind with the rest of his past life.

Royal

That's certainly possible though we just don't know. We don't even know if Yoda still had his lightsaber while hiding out on Dagobah for that matter, we simply never saw him use it.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
That's certainly possible though we just don't know. We don't even know if Yoda still had his lightsaber while hiding out on Dagobah for that matter, we simply never saw him use it.
As far as my memory goes, we saw Yoda's saber fall to the bottom of the senate and he never gets it back before escaping, so I believe it was lost at that moment. Then again, Yoda even using a saber was always a bad decision to me, he should have been only badass powers.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never had a problem with Yoda weilding a lightsaber. It seems its a neckbeard type purist complaint simply born out of the notion that he didnt "need" it. Did Vader "need" his? Better yet, what about Sidious?

It was obviously fan service, I get that, but Obi said it himself, a true Jedi weapon etc. Yoda being a grand master and all....

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I never had a problem with Yoda weilding a lightsaber. It seems its a neckbeard type purist complaint simply born out of the notion that he didnt "need" it. Did Vader "need" his? Better yet, what about Sidious?

It was obviously fan service, I get that, but Obi said it himself, a true Jedi weapon etc. Yoda being a grand master and all....
This opinion comes from the fact that Yoda and the Emperor are both considered the masters of their particular side of the Force, and as such their powers have grown beyond requiring weapons. Look at the poor opinion Palpatine has of lightsabers when he handles Luke's. In fact, I'm pretty sure Yoda was never meant to have a weapon in the original vision because his philosophy is all around Jedi using the Force to seek knowledge and for defense but never for agression, and saying you don't need weapons.

Vader was never considered a master, he was an enforcer, started his role as Tarkin's big mook or dragon, and graduated into a much more pivotal character once he was more fleshed out, but he needed a saber because he was the enemy of Obi-Wan, who used a saber, and Luke's, who followed in his footsteps.

As much as I despise the prequels, I think the Palpatine vs Yoda scene would have been FAR more epic if it hadn't included any sabers for either of them. Just have them use badass powers, like Yoda does when he enters the room and slams the Imperial Guards against the wall. Make the scene shorter if you have to, but those silly saber moves were ridiculous being used by old people doing flips and shit.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This opinion comes from the fact that Yoda and the Emperor are both considered the masters of their particular side of the Force, and as such their powers have grown beyond requiring weapons. Look at the poor opinion Palpatine has of lightsabers when he handles Luke's. In fact, I'm pretty sure Yoda was never meant to have a weapon in the original vision because his philosophy is all around Jedi using the Force to seek knowledge and for defense but never for agression, and saying you don't need weapons.

Vader was never considered a master, he was an enforcer, started his role as Tarkin's big mook or dragon, and graduated into a much more pivotal character once he was more fleshed out, but he needed a saber because he was the enemy of Obi-Wan, who used a saber, and Luke's, who followed in his footsteps.

As much as I despise the prequels, I think the Palpatine vs Yoda scene would have been FAR more epic if it hadn't included any sabers for either of them. Just have them use badass powers, like Yoda does when he enters the room and slams the Imperial Guards against the wall. Make the scene shorter if you have to, but those silly saber moves were ridiculous being used by old people doing flips and shit.
Valid points, but I never said they executed the scene well or anything I just dont have a problem with him having one at his disposal.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It just felt too forced and contrived, with literally no better reason to have it happen than Lucas being able to say "omg Yoda's going to use a lightsaber in this one guys!"

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretend the prequels didn't happen if you wish, but don't go substituting your fan fiction as "the way it should have been". Even if 99% of people's ideas would be better than Lucas' 98% of them would have vastly different takes on the way it should have went down.