The Force.
giphy.gif

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Is it though? 7 other movies (8 if you count Vader's brief appearance in R1) with Force users and we've seen nothing remotely similar...but we'll debut it with the one "Jedi" who we're not even sure is actually a Jedi b/c we've seen zero training for her and virtually zero Force use from her prior to that moment. Also all of the stuff listed has nothing to do with surviving in a vacuum, nor have we really seen much of the psychokenisis being utilized by any Force user on themselves, save for boosting jumps. If it was that easy, the Emperor could have just halted his fall down the shaft in RotJ after Vader tossed him down you would think, even with gravity affecting him. I think my needle is pretty intact on this.

Dude. You had no idea you could toss a lightsaber, become a ghost, flip around like a ninny or any of the other shit until it was shown to you. Did you watch Luke light up that saber in ANH and go "Well this is just scientifically impossible" and check out? It's the fucking force man. Who knows what you can do with it until its shown. This is why the nostalgia, faux-old school fanboi idiocy is so dumb. They want to ONLY see THIS impossible feat, not THAT impossible feat.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dude. You had no idea you could toss a lightsaber, become a ghost, flip around like a ninny or any of the other shit until it was shown to you. Did you watch Luke light up that saber in ANH and go "Well this is just scientifically impossible" and check out? It's the fucking force man. Who knows what you can do with it until its shown. This is why the nostalgia, faux-old school fanboi idiocy is so dumb. They want to ONLY see THIS impossible feat, not THAT impossible feat.

Given we're talking about faster than light travel, turbolasers, etc...a lightsaber really doesn't seem all that crazy. Again you don't see nearly as many complaints about Luke's projecting an image of himself for Kylo to fight halfway across the galaxy...b/c we can at least buy it in the context that Luke is a proven Jedi Master who has been demonstrated to have a certain power level for years prior to that even happening. Leia was none of that, and in the projecting an image case the previous force ghost power at least is something similar to lend it some context. Leia Poppins had none of that.

It's all about the context when we're talking about what we can suspend our disbelief for. You're smart enough to know this, too.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Leia Poppins had none of that.
She is the daughter of a dude that took out an entire fleet when he was 8 years old... ON ACCIDENT.

She's got a LOT of that. Whose to say Rey doesn't have some of that from a totally different bloodline.

I'm smart enough to know where you are coming from, but I am also smart enough to know we are talking about Oogie Boogie Space Magic Nonsense and so I accept that. Most people here just can't deal because they only want THEIR magic crap from THEIR time, don't add NEW magic crap to my already existing magic crap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Screamfeeder Screamfeeder

Too lazy to page back and see if you've provided deep feedback on this film or not, but you do admit that TLJ was a steaming pile of shit that practically makes Leprechaun 3 and Cyborg look good right?

Also, suspension of disbelief is contextual. The "force" or "energy weapons" are part of the established universe-- the world's accepted "physics" if you will. Leia suddenly displaying abilities she's never had, and an ability that has never been shown to fall under the umbrella of the force, is what makes it unrealistic. The fact that the scene is a blatant rip of from Superman is just the icing on the cake.

It's the same stupidity as using the transporter at warp speed half way across the galaxy in the Star Trek reboot. We accept that transporters are part of the Star Trek universe, but we know that transporting at warp halfway across the galaxy breaks the rules.

If the clones in Blade Runner just started shooting lasers from their eyes at the end of the film, would the answer to that stupidity be "well, there's already flying cars and holograms, so why not?"

These are just stupidities to facilitate lazy writing and a bad plot.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Screamfeeder Screamfeeder

Too lazy to page back and see if you've provided deep feedback on this film or not, but you do admit that TLJ was a steaming pile of shit that practically makes Leprechaun 3 and Cyborg look good right?
No. Those were bad films made to be bad. TLJ was not that at all. It is certainly at the bottom of the Star Wars films (again TPM and TLJ duel it out to the fates), but it's not a bad film in it's own world. The problem is stupid nerds have an idea of the world that this film doesn't mesh with and they just can't deal with it. I would LOVE to sit with you guys, smoke a joint while we watch Battle for Endor and watch you people lose your fucking minds over how awesome it is.

It would be glorious.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Battle for Endor. Sheeeeeeeyaaat.

You can come with us.

Wow.

• 1Solidarity

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
No. Those were bad films made to be bad. TLJ was not that at all. It is certainly at the bottom of the Star Wars films (again TPM and TLJ duel it out to the fates), but it's not a bad film in it's own world. The problem is stupid nerds have an idea of the world that this film doesn't mesh with and they just can't deal with it. I would LOVE to sit with you guys, smoke a joint while we watch Battle for Endor and watch you people lose your fucking minds over how awesome it is.

It would be glorious.

Ugh I dunno man.. This isn't a "nerd rage" issue, this is an issue of shitty script, shitty acting, shitty story, injected political messaging, and disposed of characters.. To start.

I mean c'mon, how else can you describe the entire interaction between General Pink Hair and Pasta Pilot? How can you, as a scriptwriter, read over their dialogue and not fucking cringe? Or the lines spewed by Rose? Shit is Sweet Valley High tier level writing.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I said it before and ill say it again, I liked all the SW movies. Some more than others, some less, but they were all entertaining to me. People bitch at these new installments, but if you go back and actually watch the first 3 movies form the 70s to 80s, you will see its the same shit, same cheese story and even with ewoks at the end. Only thing that really made those movies special at the time was the effects, which were pretty much ahead of anything out there at the time.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Ugh I dunno man.. This isn't a "nerd rage" issue, this is an issue of shitty script, shitty acting, shitty story, injected political messaging, and disposed of characters.. To start.

I mean c'mon, how else can you describe the entire interaction between General Pink Hair and Pasta Pilot? How can you, as a scriptwriter, read over their dialogue and not fucking cringe? Or the lines spewed by Rose? Shit is Sweet Valley High level writing.
It's bad. It's just as bad as the dialog in the OT. Go back man. Watch RoTJ and apply this same critical eye. There are some fucking lame lines but nostalgia makes you gloss over it.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'm not sure "the franchise always sucked" is a strong argument, but if thats the best people have this will be on netflix soon.

Merrith

Wanna 3 month avatar bet on that?

You're betting that JJ sticks with the "Rey's parents were just junk dealers with zero significance whatsoever and she had zero connections to Skywalker's old training facility or any other bloodline with even slight significance?"

elidib

Vyemm Raider
All the myriad problems TLJ had, I thought that was the one thing they got right. I hate the idea of the force being passed down genetically, and I hate the idea of Rey's parentage being some super-secret love-child that was kept super-secret from this group of comrades and friends.

Reversing that decision, after Rey herself acknowledged it when Kylo told her to search her own memories and feelings for the truth, would be doubling-down on stupid even further.

It also changes the tone of their great mary-sue from "anyone can be great no matter where you come from" to "genetic privilege, lol"

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
You're betting that JJ sticks with the "Rey's parents were just junk dealers with zero significance whatsoever and she had zero connections to Skywalker's old training facility or any other bloodline with even slight significance?"
Sure. I was going to go with "Reys parents were not Jedi" but you REALLY want to hedge your bets on this one with those Apple EULA conditions.

Malakriss

No matter what JJ's original intentions were in 7 for Rey's parentage or family relations the absolute maximum he could do in 9 is un-re-retcon and make her aunt or uncle have a connection to Luke's training academy. Nothing further than that without more headaches though.