Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Unrealistic, she would have been sold off as a slave if she was that hot. So they would have to redo the whole story to fit a slave rising to power like some sith twi'lek from SWTOR.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
https://www.themarysue.com/star-wars-let-poe-dameron-be-gay/
Please, Star Wars, Let Poe Dameron, or Any Hero, Be Gay

We’re a year out from Episode IX now, and none of the films have included a character who identifies as being part of the LGBT+ community. Fans have speculated about the character of Poe Dameron, played by Oscar Isaac, since he bit his lip and offered Finn (John Boyega) his jacket.

Screenwriter Jon Kasdan and star Donald Glover implied that Lando Calrissian might be pansexual, but the onscreen rep for that seems to be his romantic interest in his female-identified droid rather than any actual flirtation or romance with a male character. Rian Johnson said there was no room for sexuality in his film The Last Jedi, all while talking about how Rey and Kylo’s fingers touching is a sex scene.

Now, we’re four films into the new Star Wars, some might say. Give them time. But the problem is is that we shouldn’t have to wait in 2018, almost 2019, for a major franchise that’s been around for over 40 years to recognize that LGBT+ characters might exist. A line about Poe’s boyfriend wouldn’t have dragged down The Last Jedi any more than an unnecessary shirtless Kylo Ren scene did.

Lando having an onscreen flirtation with a man (outside of the played-for-jokes bits with Han) wouldn’t have ruined Solo any more than the abominable treatment of women did. The idea that a non-heterosexual sexuality would somehow distract from the main story is dated as hell; a same-sex love story wouldn’t affect or change anything except to make the franchise more inclusive.

At this point in time, it’s more of a conscious decision to not include gay characters than it is to include them, especially when the Star Wars books and comics are becoming more inclusive. Chuck Wendig’s Aftermath gave the main love story to two gay men, and the books topped the New York Times bestseller list. The films are already guaranteed to make a metric ton of money because they’re Star Wars films; a boost from LGBT+ fans who go support the film multiple times might actually cancel out the money lost by angry boycotts.

More importantly, representation is almost a moral matter. To willingly exclude gay characters is cruel, because that is a statement that the fans who are part of the LGBT+ community are not valid enough to be represented onscreen. In the same way that it is deeply, deeply problematic to only cast white women in leading female roles, or to fridge women of color, or to only hire white men to direct and write projects, to exclude the LGBT+ community from the films and television shows that Lucasfilm’s imagination can be limited to a problematic degree.

I know I’m making many demands about this, but also let it be a protagonist/hero character as well. No queer-coded villains or background couples. Let a hero, like Poe or Finn or Rey (Daisy Ridley), have a same-gender partner. Let a hero character who we know to be good and kind and brave also be gay, because that sends a powerful message. These heroes won’t be defined by their sexuality or be a token, but rather be a hero who also happens to be gay. That would send a message to young, queer fans around the world that they are not only okay, but can be a hero like their favorite character as well.

A queer villain is great — my favorite Star Wars villain, Rae Sloane, is bi — but we deserve a queer hero as well, especially in a franchise that has had so little positive representation on that screen in that front. We deserve a gay hero, especially if that hero is dashing, daring Poe.

If Poe is made straight in the next film, then not only will that represent a missed opportunity but given the fan reaction to him as a gay character, it will seem almost cruel and deliberate. To give fans hope for years by keeping Poe’s sexuality vague and then to pull the rug out from under them would be hurtful to so many across the board. At this point, Poe practically has to be gay, otherwise it will seem like a slap in the face to gay fans.

I hate saying “I demand X” from creators, because they don’t owe me anything except to deliver a quality, non-offensive story. But at this point, JJ Abrams has said enough about gay characters coming to Star Wars that if he doesn’t deliver, he’s just as bad as Kasdan or Johnson. Even more negligent, in my opinion, as he has said he wants to include them.

There’s a difference between wanting something as a fan and wanting something when you’re the writer-director. Make good on your promise, Mr. Abrams, for the good of LGBT+ fans around the world. You can be just as much a hero as Poe and Rey and Finn with this.

• 7Picard
  • 4Barf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 11 users

iannis

Musty Nester
When you fail to deliver quality, you can always just pander.

they'll do it. Gonna be lots and lots of space gay.

• 6Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
How about this: leave a character's sexual orientation out of the story? If it's not important to the story then who the fuck cares, leave it out, and don't go down that road. Why do these people feel it's super important to show two dudes going at it on screen? And, as I've mentioned elsewhere, every fucking time all they do is depict gays as highly promiscuous. Two guys lock eyes for the first time and BAM, next scene they're in the store room making out. Is that how they want to be portrayed? As whores?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
btHgUHJ.jpg

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

We’re a year out from Episode IX now, and none of the films have included a character who identifies as being part of the LGBT+ community. Fans have speculated about the character of Poe Dameron, played by Oscar Isaac, since he bit his lip and offered Finn (John Boyega) his jacket.

Screenwriter Jon Kasdan and star Donald Glover implied that Lando Calrissian might be pansexual, but the onscreen rep for that seems to be his romantic interest in his female-identified droid rather than any actual flirtation or romance with a male character. Rian Johnson said there was no room for sexuality in his film The Last Jedi, all while talking about how Rey and Kylo’s fingers touching is a sex scene.

Now, we’re four films into the new Star Wars, some might say. Give them time. But the problem is is that we shouldn’t have to wait in 2018, almost 2019, for a major franchise that’s been around for over 40 years to recognize that LGBT+ characters might exist. A line about Poe’s boyfriend wouldn’t have dragged down The Last Jedi any more than an unnecessary shirtless Kylo Ren scene did.

Lando having an onscreen flirtation with a man (outside of the played-for-jokes bits with Han) wouldn’t have ruined Solo any more than the abominable treatment of women did. The idea that a non-heterosexual sexuality would somehow distract from the main story is dated as hell; a same-sex love story wouldn’t affect or change anything except to make the franchise more inclusive.

At this point in time, it’s more of a conscious decision to not include gay characters than it is to include them, especially when the Star Wars books and comics are becoming more inclusive. Chuck Wendig’s Aftermath gave the main love story to two gay men, and the books topped the New York Times bestseller list. The films are already guaranteed to make a metric ton of money because they’re Star Wars films; a boost from LGBT+ fans who go support the film multiple times might actually cancel out the money lost by angry boycotts.

More importantly, representation is almost a moral matter. To willingly exclude gay characters is cruel, because that is a statement that the fans who are part of the LGBT+ community are not valid enough to be represented onscreen. In the same way that it is deeply, deeply problematic to only cast white women in leading female roles, or to fridge women of color, or to only hire white men to direct and write projects, to exclude the LGBT+ community from the films and television shows that Lucasfilm’s imagination can be limited to a problematic degree.

I know I’m making many demands about this, but also let it be a protagonist/hero character as well. No queer-coded villains or background couples. Let a hero, like Poe or Finn or Rey (Daisy Ridley), have a same-gender partner. Let a hero character who we know to be good and kind and brave also be gay, because that sends a powerful message. These heroes won’t be defined by their sexuality or be a token, but rather be a hero who also happens to be gay. That would send a message to young, queer fans around the world that they are not only okay, but can be a hero like their favorite character as well.

A queer villain is great — my favorite Star Wars villain, Rae Sloane, is bi — but we deserve a queer hero as well, especially in a franchise that has had so little positive representation on that screen in that front. We deserve a gay hero, especially if that hero is dashing, daring Poe.

If Poe is made straight in the next film, then not only will that represent a missed opportunity but given the fan reaction to him as a gay character, it will seem almost cruel and deliberate. To give fans hope for years by keeping Poe’s sexuality vague and then to pull the rug out from under them would be hurtful to so many across the board. At this point, Poe practically has to be gay, otherwise it will seem like a slap in the face to gay fans.

I hate saying “I demand X” from creators, because they don’t owe me anything except to deliver a quality, non-offensive story. But at this point, JJ Abrams has said enough about gay characters coming to Star Wars that if he doesn’t deliver, he’s just as bad as Kasdan or Johnson. Even more negligent, in my opinion, as he has said he wants to include them.

There’s a difference between wanting something as a fan and wanting something when you’re the writer-director. Make good on your promise, Mr. Abrams, for the good of LGBT+ fans around the world. You can be just as much a hero as Poe and Rey and Finn with this.

Done.

image0011.png

• 6Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 9 users

Korillo

Molten Core Raider

Disney told this guy he couldn't monetize his vader film in any way, and couldn't crowfund for it. So he had to pay for it out of pocket, but did it because it was basically his dream. Then these fuckers claim his vader episode and monetize it for themselves. Pretty fucking pathetic.

His vader film (re-post, was posted earlier)

• 5WTF
  • 2Barf
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 8 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I mean it's on the list of things that are in no way surprising.

Sucks for that dude. It seriously does. But they own the IP. He just gave them a few thousand dollars and they said, "If only we had more like you!" Maybe they'll hire him on to do something with the next trilogy. It would be a nice gesture and probably a good investment for them. But I expect them not doing that is also on the list of things that are in no way surprising.

It's protect your IP at any cost territory. They can't allow fan made shorts. They especially can't allow those shorts to become popular.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Sucks for that dude. It seriously does. But they own the IP. He just gave them a few thousand dollars and they said, "If only we had more like you!" Maybe they'll hire him on to do something with the next trilogy. It would be a nice gesture and probably a good investment for them. But I expect them not doing that is also on the list of things that are in no way surprising.

It's protect your IP at any cost territory. They can't allow fan made shorts. They especially can't allow those shorts to become popular.
its going to be seen as a dick move by Disney , because it is. the cool thing to do would be to issue a statement. "congrats Star Wars Theory for a remarkable homage to the incredible Star Wars franchise. we were so impressed with his original take that we paid him for his efforts and will be showcasing his short film at the next Star Wars Celebration as well as having him introduce it for all our fans in attendance.

instead they just ensured more bad blood and motivation for SW fans to pass on their episode 9 shitshow.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

Did you watch his video? The copywrite claim is a manual claim for some of the music, which was specifically composed for the short, sounding like the Imperial March. Dick move. EDIT: He also said that if he had monetized the video, it would have made more than $80K.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Someone correct me on this . . . if we watch his video and use the [skip ad] option . . . doesn't that mean that the ad revenue is way smaller ( I'm pretty sure some goes through)