Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Just a reminder that we're still in spoiler timeframe for this. Some things are well out of the bag (palp and lineage stuff mostly) and trying to put them back in is unlikely to be attempted, but major plot points and outcomes should be placed in spoiler tags.
Change the thread title then?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Change the thread title then?

You're not wrong, but that was put in place for the pre-release leak discussions about unconfirmed things. I'm talking about things like X killed X by doing X sort of things. I'll see about the title.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You're not wrong, but that was put in place for the pre-release leak discussions about unconfirmed things. I'm talking about things like X killed X by doing X sort of things. I'll see about the title.

Fucking Nazi mods suppressing speech in here I see.

Time is a flat circle.

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 7 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Us janitors have discussed it and have decided the following:

Due to the previous allowance of spoilers with the pre-release leak stuff, the major shit being spoiled for weeks by now, and this movie being garbage that doesn't deserve any more headaches:

Spoilers are hereby allowed across the board for this movie and the thread should be treated as though the 1 week anti-spoiler period is over.

Also, a_skeleton_02 wanted to just break all your kneecaps with his beat-stick, but I protected you all. You're welcome

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Everyone needs to go easy on JJ Abrams, Disney practically enslaved him when they drugged him, made him sign an ironclad contract, and depostited 5+ million in his bank account.

If he is too greedy to say no, he deserves all the shit he gets.

Guess I can fill in again here.

JJ's wife told him to do Star Wars. JJ initially wanted no part of TFA at the time.

Spielberg was instrumental in getting JJ to agree to direct any Star Wars movies at all. Kennedy sicked Spielberg on JJ when she thought he was turning it down and playing her to the side.

Those are the facts.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
EMb_TUlXUAAQS59.jpg

• 12Like
  • 5Worf
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 17 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I love it, what a good argument, and he lucked out and was totally right.

My question:

Why is everyone so upset about "mary sue" Rey? Now we know she is the descendent of Palpatine, who was a fucking badass who beat Yoda in a sword fight. Why are we surprised that Rey is able to kick so much ass, and able to wield the force in such a way? Fuck I'm going back to ROS a second time, I loved it. Fuck you haters :)

That's not actually true. He threw the entire senate at Yoda. Kind'a difficult to handle shit when you're dodging about a thousand 2,000 lb senate seats that come flying at you.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just came back from seeing this. The movie had lots of flaws but I was entertained regardless and enjoyed it.

As someone mentioned, you can pretty much skip TLJ now as it mostly ignores it.

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just saw it and went in with extremely low expectations after TLJ. I was pleasantly surprised. Ended up being very pleased with how it all turned out. Enjoyed seeing Abrams try and salvage his TFA storylines as best he could after the TLJ abomination.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Jesus, this opinion is dog shit, and pretty much the dog shit corporate America uses to defend bad movies now (Which is half the problem with woke culture, its used in the most cynical way by Hollywood to defend dog shit). The complaints about wokeness were from outside the film, and all the problems that tend to stem from an echo chamber culture (Which have been explained to do death). But overall, no one gives a shit its a woman, many of this forums favorite action movies of the last few years (Including nearly all the anti-woke crowd) have been lead by women--Mad Max, Wonder Woman ect (Amazing how these films get forgotten whenever a indefensible turd needs to be defended).

Go watch New Hope, since the scenes are copied one for one. You tell me how many times Luke needed to be saved vs Rey, tell me Han's reaction to Luke vs Rey (I could go on, its pretty god damn stark). I hate this line of reasoning because its also what is going to keep women from becoming better leads for films like this, because no criticism is going to be seen as simply criticism of BAD elements. Its all going to MUH MISOGYNY!

4ktu34gvl9641.jpg

Opinions like this are the reason for the above, too. Because every flaw is considered some form of sexism. Just stop with this insufferable line of reasoning; women don't need white knights anymore. They are independent and strong now, right? So instead of defending her for being a woman, instead argue why the criticisms don't make sense (Which defenders of this garbage can't do, so it always defaults to this.)

Whoever posted that has made a great point. It made me imagine every person in the new Star Wars Trilogy as the opposite race and gender.

Rey would be a black male. Finn would be a white female. Etc etc etc.

But this would mean, with the lone exception of the Silver Storm Trooper, that EVERY single member of the New Order would be a Black Female.

We can argue JJ vs RJ, but the truth is that KK is the real problem.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
We had our family (my parents and their children and grandchildren) Christmas dinner at my Parent's house tonight. Chicken and Dumplings. My Mom has always served it buffet style so we all grab a plate and serve ourselves and then make our way to the dinner table.

My Dad said, as the line was supposed to be forming' "Ladies first" to which my sister said, "That's sexist. Why do you say that? There is nothing special about women that means they should have to go first."

I couldn't help myself. I said, "I agree" and I butt in front of my sister and grabbed the first helping of food.

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 10 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

That isn't actually that bad, they established that she was a starship scavenger who could somewhat look after herself with a staff. She can have a skillset.

Luke was established to be a bored teenager who could pilot and hit small targets really well.

The problem is that her skillset wasn't limited to what was established, engineering and 2H melee weapons.

I think that she could translate some languages (Wookie?), was an expert pilot, fight with 1H weapons, intuitively use advanced force powers, in TLJ she was an ace shot in the Millenium Falcon gunner seat.

They should have kept her away from flying and gunning on the Falcon, maybe have her fly it awkwardly but Finn with his military training can cover for it by one shotting the Tie Fighters.

They should have had her lose in TFA using a 1H lightsaber, but then get a double ended lightsaber in TLJ which fit her staff fighting skills.

She truley is a Mary Sue but engineering was set up... kinda.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
That isn't actually that bad, they established that she was a starship scavenger who could somewhat look after herself with a staff. She can have a skillset.

Luke was established to be a bored teenager who could pilot and hit small targets really well.

The problem is that her skillset wasn't limited to what was established, engineering and 2H melee weapons.

I think that she could translate some languages (Wookie?), was an expert pilot, fight with 1H weapons, intuitively use advanced force powers, in TLJ she was an ace shot in the Millenium Falcon gunner seat,m.

They should have kept her away from flying and gunning on the Falcon, maybe have her fly it awkwardly but Finn with his military training can cover for it by one shooting the Tie Fighters.

They should have had her lose in TFA using a 1H lightsaber, but then get a double ended lightsaber in TLJ which fit her staff fighting skills.

She truley is a Mary Sue but engineering was set up... kinda.

The whole thing is bad.

She bypassed the compressor.

Was the compressor not compressing things?

I am not a hater of TFA in general but this scene IS bad in particular. It would be like a doctor ripping out your kidneys and saying "I bypassed the need to excrete urine salts from the body!"

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A hyperdrive needing a compressor is just as bad as the sudden lack of fuel after evacing all of the supplies (including fuel) from your base in a universe where fuel was never an issue.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
The whole thing is bad.

She bypassed the compressor.

Was the compressor not compressing things?

I am not a hater of TFA in general but this scene IS bad in particular. It would be like a doctor ripping out your kidneys and saying "I bypassed the need to excrete urine salts from the body!"
Then you have an issue with technobabble in general.

How do you feel about reversing the polarity of the deflector dish to emit a stream of muon particles to disperse an ion storm?

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Then you have an issue with technobabble in general.

How do you feel about reversing the polarity of the deflector dish to emit a stream of muon particles to disperse an ion storm?

This is fair.

Star Trek pulled this sort of shit all the time.

I think there are two things wrong with this scene. One, she 'bypassed the compressor' which an engineer even 100 years ago would say wtf. The compressor is comprssing things, you can't just bypass it. So the whole line is written dumb.

But more than that, no matter what technobabble we use, this young girl just rips some component out of a vehicle and the movie pretends like the 40 year veteran has never even thought about it before.