Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Even as space opera I would expect more of a character arc and less of a character cratering. Padme should be the ultimate tragic figure of the first trilogy, a strong character who becomes completely undone by her connection to the anti-hero Anakin. There is some of that in Episode III, but overall she goes from a position of strength to barefoot and preggers waaaay too fast.

Part of this is the fundamental weakness of the Star Wars films -- each one takes place over a very short timespan and thus we are cheated out of any realistic pace of narrative development. This is also part of the reason why Clone Wars is so goddamn good as it affords the opportunity for long-form character and plot development of the sort that one would expect from a true weekly serial.

Shame on you on trying to equate a 2hr movie with a many episode TV series.

• 2Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
95% of my friends growing up loved Star Wars. We all saw and hated the prequels. We still talked about how great Star Wars was, read the books, and did some light buying of the cool collectables. All of us now have multiple kids.

Not one of us plans on seeing this one in the theater. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Pathetic.

• 6Solidarity
  • 4Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 11 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
95% of my friends growing up loved Star Wars. We all saw and hated the prequels. We still talked about how great Star Wars was, read the books, and did some light buying of the cool collectables. All of us now have multiple kids.

Not one of us plans on seeing this one in the theater. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Pathetic.
My group even spent many evenings playing the D6 RPG. This franchise is now shit.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
EC5XXc7WwAAD9RR.jpg

FINALLY! My fucking B-Wings are back!! (Yeah and Y-Wings too...don't see any U-Wings though)

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There are more ships there than people left in the resistance at the end of the last movie. So this either confirms hack writing or time travel(which can also be hack writing). Which is worse?

• 3Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Well its clear that there will be a suitable gap in time between the last movie and this one. (As there should have been between TFA and TLJ). This will also allow, later, for a suitably epic animated series to fill in the interim ala Clone Wars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There are more ships there than people left in the resistance at the end of the last movie. So this either confirms hack writing or time travel(which can also be hack writing). Which is worse?

Didnt the last movie mention some distress signals going out to the corners of the galaxy for more resistance to come and help except none came? So it seems like there is plenty more around the galaxy, they just never came.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
As much of a dud as the last one was, I still can't help but get a star wars boner from the new trailer. I probably won't drag my whole family out to see it release weekend again, but I'll definitely see it in theaters this December

• 1Picard
  • 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Your boner is probably from the 45 seconds of OT footage. I counted like 5 seconds of footage from TLJ and none of it plot relevant so I wonder if they're just gonna pretend most of it didn't happen.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Okay, as 50-ish year old, this franchise is, of course, special to me. My thoughts echo all that was said on the last several pages, and well really, for the last couple of decades.

But I would still watch and enjoy if they could just find it in themselves to make A GOOD FUCKING MOVIE. It is like "They" have tried purposely to destroy this franchise from the moment Lucas decided to just sell toys to kids and then Disney decided to just fuck it right in its already dead asshole. Jar Jar and "I like sand" and pod-racing and kid going "oops" hitting the trigger to win the war and bouncy Yoda and then Han dies and Luke is a fucking cranky old man drinking blue tit juice and emo-vader and useless token black guy and Asian character (love conquers all!) and Mary Sue is force powerful with no training and let's burn all the Jedi texts in a symbolic gesture of Fuck You. Whew, I really squeezed that zit, didn't I.

But "Rise of Skywalker" means she is a Skywalker, correct? It can't be anything else. And she goes bad then good in a Vader redemption arc that is so trite and hackneyed that I want to fucking die?

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So this either confirms hack writing or time travel(which can also be hack writing)

It's JJ Abrams. Hack writing was always a given and time travel was always a distinct possibility.

*edit* Out of curiosity I googled 'star wars time travel' and apparently time travel is now canonical to the Star Wars universe courtesy of Rebels. So the door is open for Abrams.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why the fuck is it even called Rise of Skywalker. Luke is dead, Kylo is corrupted. Leia will most likely be dead this film and has no other children. Oh please, please let Kylo and Ren be secret twins JUST LIKE LUKE AND LEIA. That reveal would make me die of laughter.

Especially since Kylo explicitly stated she's a nobody. Misdirection!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

The resistance had a super secret reserve force that has been hiding out until now. Don't worry about it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
So this is my fucking problem with Disney and the direction of these movies: In the EU books after ROTJ Luke gathered all the force sensitives and started making them Jedi. Then, the Jedi started having kids and they had the core of a million different stories with dozens of force sensitives that were from all over the galaxy with different specializations and powers. What they did is create options for future stories.

Disney comes along and scraps the EU as cannon and replaces it with a world where Leia/Han had one child and Luke had 0. Luke waited what seems like ten years to start training young children born after ROTJ ended and ended that experiment because of the now bad Kylo so now there are no new Jedi of any age. Disney left the entire galaxy of potential by the wayside by limiting their options. Their new stories must start with Rey gathering force sensitives and picking up where Luke stopped at best. Except now your lone Jedi is a no one instead of the hero who took down two death star's, Darth Vader, and the goddamn Emperor. How do you explain why not one force sensitive of any age sought out Luke for training? Instead, he has one small academy of like 10 kids. It is mind numbing.

How is a multi billion dollar franchise guided by multi hundred billion dollar entity whose entire existence is based on marketing allow themselves to get trapped in such a shitty corner? It is inexcusable and if George Lucas had any foresight he would have built a clause into the contract that allowed him to recoup the entire franchise if it turned out fucking Disney was capable of this level of malfeasance.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity