Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
TLJ made 1.3bil alltogether, but was considered to have underperformed IIRC. Anything under 1bil would be a catastrophe for them and would probably bring most of the IP to a screeching halt for a while.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah, I guess comparative numbers..
Revenge of the sith. 850m. total ww.
TWA. 2b. total WW.
Rogueone. 1b ww
solo. 392m ww.
TLJ. 1.3B ww.

I'm thinking $700-800m.

Heres last two years rankings. Its hard to imagine 1.3B being considered a failure, on the 300m budget, and fact it was the #1 movie for 2017.
This was before Avengers 2b, and 2.8b.

Failure in toys, and the themepark, yeah.

Last edited:

Cybsled

The Star Wars name alone will guarantee it will make money, but TLJ soured a lot of people. I think the 800m range is likely.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
yeah, I guess comparative numbers..
Revenge of the sith. 850m. total ww.
TWA. 2b. total WW.
Rogueone. 1b ww
solo. 392m ww.
TLJ. 1.3B ww.

I'm thinking $700-800m.

Heres last two years rankings. Its hard to imagine 1.3B being considered a failure, on the 300m budget, and fact it was the #1 movie for 2017.
This was before Avengers 2b, and 2.8b.

Failure in toys, and the themepark, yeah.

wasnt just the reshoots an additional $300M? or did the reshoots pushed the total price tag to $300M?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
they probably spent almost a billion making and marketing this film. if they do just a billion. that will be a massive failure. i predict a bilion, but less than TLJ.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There are enough people who will see it just the once, even to confirm their own views that it will be shit. A billion will happen but everyone will be watching to see if it's +/- TLJ level.

In a reality where they didn't shit the franchise up we'd be anticipating 2B+ but they dug their own hole.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Is Disney not understanding how badly The last jedi, etc damaged the brand? are, we underestimating how powerful the December slot is, and family movies over xmas?

I think what you are overestimating is the importance the masses give to the impact TLJ had on the Star Wars brand.

It did some damage, for sure. Lots of adult fans that used to buy all the toys and merch for every movie are now buying less or none.

But for the kids, the merch is still working, though the effect is diminished because back then Star Wars was the coolest toys ever but nowadays tons of toys exist to compete with it so it's not as important to kids.

I showed my 9 year old the old trilogy and TFA. Can you guess which one he likes best? Well, he prefered TESB because he fuckin loves AT-ATs but still, he really really liked TFA because it was flashy and action-y and faster-paced.

Kids like things that go pew-pew and ka-boom and most normal parents will bring their kids to see the new Star Wars movie, or just people that like to see visual spectacles on screen but aren't nitpicky about story quality or respect to the lore and whatnot.

You gotta keep in mind this place here is a nest of nipicky neckbeards that play MMOs all day, we aren't exactly the target audience for this kind of mass produced corporate-made movie. But despite that, most people here will still see it.

There's people like me that still enjoy Star Wars because of how much I loved it as a kid and can take the new movies with a huge pinch of salt, and just select a few cool elements from them (or the prequels) without burning the franchise as a whole because I try to be reasonable.

There's people that love Star Wars no matter what and will fanboy it to the end and will see this shitfest 9 times at the theater.

And there's the jaded angry fucks that will pay for it just so they can make a vlog about it to their 3 followers and say how much Disney/Kennedy/JarJar/Lucas fucked this all up.

Mickey is gonna laugh all the way to the bank.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Most people don't give a fuck TLJ was bad. Hell, a lot of people thought it was actually good!

People will want closure and they will go see this abortion. I predict most of the board here goes to see it despite all the shit talking.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think what you are overestimating is the importance the masses give to the impact TLJ had on the Star Wars brand.

It did some damage, for sure. Lots of adult fans that used to buy all the toys and merch for every movie are now buying less or none.

But for the kids, the merch is still working, though the effect is diminished because back then Star Wars was the coolest toys ever but nowadays tons of toys exist to compete with it so it's not as important to kids.

I showed my 9 year old the old trilogy and TFA. Can you guess which one he likes best? Well, he prefered TESB because he fuckin loves AT-ATs but still, he really really liked TFA because it was flashy and action-y and faster-paced.

Kids like things that go pew-pew and ka-boom and most normal parents will bring their kids to see the new Star Wars movie, or just people that like to see visual spectacles on screen but aren't nitpicky about story quality or respect to the lore and whatnot.

You gotta keep in mind this place here is a nest of nipicky neckbeards that play MMOs all day, we aren't exactly the target audience for this kind of mass produced corporate-made movie. But despite that, most people here will still see it.

There's people like me that still enjoy Star Wars because of how much I loved it as a kid and can take the new movies with a huge pinch of salt, and just select a few cool elements from them (or the prequels) without burning the franchise as a whole because I try to be reasonable.

There's people that love Star Wars no matter what and will fanboy it to the end and will see this shitfest 9 times at the theater.

And there's the jaded angry fucks that will pay for it just so they can make a vlog about it to their 3 followers and say how much Disney/Kennedy/JarJar/Lucas fucked this all up.

Mickey is gonna laugh all the way to the bank.
Do you you think it will outperform TLJ? Cuz as much as you say we are an isolated den of autistic retards, the masses spoke with their wallets and told Disney to fuck off with Solo.
And they are still telling them to fuck off with Galaxy's Edge theme park. The good will from the Mandolorian may stop the bleeding. But will that make people want to pay to see on screen executions of their childhood heroes? I predict the movie will do better than expected. But fall short of TLJ. That's based solely on the Mandolorian bump. If no mando? We're talking 700 range.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
There's also simply nothing else in theatres the whole month. People will go to the movies because it's a big feature and they want to go with their family who is in town. What else are they going to watch? Cats? Bombshells?

It'll do a billion easy. Maybe not the first weekend, but it'll get there. And no way is the budget for it over 1b, more like 600m at the max, so even if it does abysmally at 700m it will still make plenty of money and be hailed as a success.

You'll also see all the critics giving it glowing reviews, probably in the 80%+ range on RT, while the audience scores call it out for the trash that it will be, at 27% or below. Media will again blame "haters" and "toxic community" while pointing at whatever box office number it does to prove them "wrong".

It doesn't take nostradamus to see this will be TLJ all over again.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Do you you think it will outperform TLJ? Cuz as much as you say we are an isolated den of autistic retards, the masses spoke with their wallets and told Disney to fuck off with Solo.
And they are still telling them to fuck off with Galaxy's Edge theme park. The good will from the Mandolorian may stop the bleeding. But will that make people want to pay to see on screen executions of their childhood heroes? I predict the movie will do better than expected. But fall short of TLJ. That's based solely on the Mandolorian bump. If no mando? We're talking 700 range.
Solo, X Men: Dark Phoenix and Terminator: Dark Fate are very similar situations of a bomb following a franchise damaging movie.

The brand name of Star Wars is so huge though, as are Christmas franchise movies. I feel like a billion is still likely.

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean it might not quite do TLJ money, but people talking about it only making 600 million or whatever are delusional.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Solo, X Men: Dark Phoenix and Terminator: Dark Fate are very similar situations of a bomb following a franchise damaging movie.

The brand name of Star Wars is so huge though, as are Christmas franchise movies. I feel like a billion is still likely.
Yeah. The backlash is still backlashing. Now some of the guys here think it's all going to go away because star wars? Heh. It's been shown that star wars can flop too.

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
I heard Rise of Shitwalker is going to feature JJ Abrams providing interjecting commentary throughout the movie to explain why he evolved the story the way he did so that fans can appreciate his genius in real time.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I heard Rise of Shitwalker is going to feature JJ Abrams providing interjecting commentary throughout the movie to explain why he evolved the story the way he did so that fans can appreciate his genius in real time.
Woah woah what's with the spoilers???

• 2Like
  • 1Rimshot
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Seems like leaks were legit... oh well

I just don't get why they are trying to make Kylo look all menacing coming from the big wave. She fucking kicked his ass, and has shown herself to be clearly stronger--BEFORE she began training. There is zero tension there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I just don't get why they are trying to make Kylo look all menacing coming from the big wave. She fucking kicked his ass, and has shown herself to be clearly stronger--BEFORE she began training. There is zero tension there.
I'll answer that question like I'm not surrounded by people asking questions without wanting actual answers.

In the duel at the end of TFA, you gotta remember Kylo Ren was 1) bleeding like a stuck pig after taking a bowcaster shot to the chest (which we saw several times in the movie backflip regular troopers the fuck away) 2) basically mind-fucked from having just killed his father (which is what Snoke says the next time they meet at the beginning of TLJ).

I won't argue that he still got his ass kicked pretty easily, especially by an untrained and seemingly random girl (unless she's got a plot-related reason to have these powers we find out in IX).

In TLJ however, the fight versus the Praetorians shows them as pretty much of equal skill (after her training). He saves her a couple times during the fight (if you don't count the stupid ass moment where's saved by the power of editing when that praetorian with 2 swords suddenly has only 1 because he had her in a chokehold and could easily stab her with his free hand), and she saves him at the end of it by tossing her saber at him to kill the last guard.

After that they have a very short "Force pull" duel with Luke's saber that splits it, again showing them around equal power.

So I think we're supposed to think they're on a equal footing going into IX.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
/cast Nostrodouche

I heard one of the dragons dies and Emperor Palpatines rezzes him then gets one shotted by Rose.

Also Rey stabs Kylo at the end after they have sex.

Ban me d bags

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Spoilered for the gayboyz:

5D900E97-E7E8-48CF-ACFA-BF5ABCC72DD6.jpeg

• 1Great Review
Reactions: 1 user