Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
are you sure about that? because the interviews i have read say that RJ finished the TLJ script before TFA was even completed.

Accurate.

TLJ was finished script-wise before TFA wrapped production.

Rian was able to tell JJ to make an alteration to the final scenes of TFA to suit the TLJ script-- as TFA was still being shot at the time, the TLJ script was already fully approved and written ready to begin shooting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
Really the only bits of info RJ would have needed is "Rey and Chewie are going to see Luke, Han is dead, everyone else is together at the sekret rebel base"

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the general consensus I've seen at this point that I agree with is that this movie is decent enough but the taint of TLJ colors perceptions before anything else. The visuals are amazing and there are some pretty good lines in there plus good scenes. It's really too bad that they didn't have a more cohesive story for the trilogy. Lucas always said that Star Wars was the story about Vader and if Vader is gone then what do you got? Even the wife thought they pulled the Palpatine storyline out of their ass.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The movie is universally loved by people that lack the capacity for critical thought.

• 4Great Review
  • 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 9 users

spronk

FPS noob
if you don't pay money to see this movie in theaters and if TLJ does better than the story is TLJ was the more successful movie and Disney should hire Rian Johnson to make more Star Wars movies

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

1577462906940.png

CBR ;)
-------------------------------------------------------

TFA======================TLJ====================TRS

1577463146054.png
1577463167947.png
1577463191692.png

that is apples to apples to orange, as TFA and TLJ both got the xmas bump in their 2nd weeks
guess after TRS's week 3 will be all apples.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
if you don't pay money to see this movie in theaters and if TLJ does better than the story is TLJ was the more successful movie and Disney should hire Rian Johnson to make more Star Wars movies
Holy shit you went full retard.

• 1Mother of God

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They're absolutely retarded if they don't let Favreau take control of the franchise

I'd announce it next month, and Kathleen needs to announce retirement sooner than later.

Rumor is it will be first quarter 2020 but wouldn't surprise me if she stays entrenched all year to make sure there is no causation between Rise underperforming + her retirement. The insiders insist its going to be first or second quarter but I feel its just too early to retire if you want to keep your legacy in tact. You can't make it abrupt-- bad for optics.

Also expected in first or second quarter 2020 is a definitive announcement on Rian Johnson's trilogy by Disney.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Ah yes, the "what do you want to order for dinner?" method

lol, holy shit where do they find these guys? They're flawless.

There was a round table discussion with the Lucas guy and he said something along the lines of "the Star Wars movies are actually diuretics. A lot of people don't realize that. They were designed that way". It was ridiculous and sounded exactly like something George Lucas would say
Dialectics, maybe

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'd announce it next month, and Kathleen needs to announce retirement sooner than later.

Rumor is it will be first quarter 2020 but wouldn't surprise me if she stays entrenched all year to make sure there is no causation between Rise underperforming + her retirement. The insiders insist its going to be first or second quarter but I feel its just too early to retire if you want to keep your legacy in tact. You can't make it abrupt-- bad for optics.

Also expected in first or second quarter 2020 is a definitive announcement on Rian Johnson's trilogy by Disney.
Kennedy already said there was no more trilogies planned. Iger when asked about Kennedy saying "no more trilogies" he said. "oh i dont know about that" in direct contradiction. IMO that confirms that there will be no RJ trilogy, but there could be somebody else in charge of one. that somebody else will likely be Feige and/or Fav. keep in mind Mandalorian has already been greenlit for season 2 and 3. so if they're gonna hit up Fav for a star wars trilogy, its gonna be much later or he will leave Mandalorian to work on the films very soon. i heard Kennedy will be announcing her retirement as early as next month

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Kennedy already said there was no more trilogies planned. Iger when asked about Kennedy saying "no more trilogies" he said. "oh i dont know about that" in direct contradiction. IMO that confirms that there will be no RJ trilogy, but there could be somebody else in charge of one. that somebody else will likely be Feige and/or Fav. keep in mind Mandalorian has already been greenlit for season 2 and 3. so if they're gonna hit up Fav for a star wars trilogy, its gonna be much later or he will leave Mandalorian to work on the films very soon. i heard Kennedy will be announcing her retirement as early as next month

Yep the RJ announcement is in the same vein as the GoT trilogy announcement-- meaning its a decision that was made several months ago that will be officially announced strategically as a form of mitigation.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
It won't be Feige. He said he doesn't have the time for a trilogy when asked about that.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

During the childbirth scene I was convinced that the medical droid was going to kill her. I thought we'd get a scene with a little scalpel flicking out from a robot arm, one quick motion, "oh no I can't control the bleeding beep boop." Palaptine killed Padme as part of his twisted plan to turn Anakin to the Dark Side! And no one knows it!

Instead she died because she was sad. She's got nothing to live for (except the two children she just burfed).

• 5Like
  • 4Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 9 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I finally watched this today. Here's some AV nerd shit before I get to the movie...I decided to give a Dolby Cinema theater a try for the first time. It's definitely better than any other large screen format I've seen in terms of contrast and image quality, besting IMAX and RDX and whatever other variety of "special" theaters I've been in. It's still not at the level of what a high-end TV can provide, but it still looked pretty good. Even more impressive was the audio, it was fucking awesome. That's the first time in many years at the movies where I wasn't wishing I was listening at home on my own set up. I'd definitely recommend the small price jump versus the other premium formats out there. Anyway...

When I was a kid, I looked forward to eating Halloween candy. I could drown myself in candy corn and Twix bars and enjoy the shit out of it all without any unhappy side effects. These days I just kind of eat it because it shows up in the house once each year. Yes, it can be pretty good as I'm munching it down, but now even a few bites can drive me into a sugar coma and make me feel like I've formed a solid rock in my colon. It's still sort of satisfying but yet kind of painful. I'll never again enjoy the experience like I did when I was six. That's kinda how I feel about these movies.

RoS in particular is like liquefying and mainlining an entire bag of candy at once, inclusive of some of the euphoria and the terrible, terrible side-effects that that would entail. It's been said several times already, but part of the blame for the unpleasantness certainly lies with TLJ. This film was clearly straining to get out of the way of that one. I appreciated the effort, but I don't think all of it was necessary and what we got was far too overstuffed. But if I really have a primary gripe with pretty much all of these new films, it's their severe lack of TENSION. Ok, so Palpatine is back...maybe that's lazy writing and stupid...maybe in good hands it's brilliant...either way, it just didn't have any tension to it. He's there looking nightmarish and menacing, but there's nothing resembling what you feel during his throne room scenes with Vader and Luke. Holy fuck, it's a god damn endless fleet of old school Star Destroyers! Yet, somehow...no tension. Here comes some X-Wings and some 'splosions and it looks great and Star Warsy, but it all just lacks gravity and punch and tension. Where's the fucking kick to the gut and subsequent rush that you feel when the Death Star suddenly starts blasting away capital ships and Lando takes the fleet straight into a similar mess of Star Destroyers? It just ain't there.

They get closest during the Rey and Kylo scenes. I think most of those are done well, although what was with Finn going all "Hey Rey!" during their last fight? Like that wouldn't distract her as Kylo is sending his lightsaber straight at her skull? She should have force choked a bitch for that. Also, whose Cheerios did 3PO piss in? They really shit on him in this one, lol. And what the fuck was Lando's angle at the end? I couldn't tell if they were setting up that girl to be his daughter, or if that was just a nod to him being a creepy horndog. Either way that was awkward city.

I made peace long ago with the fact that Star Wars began in 1977 and ended in 1983. And that's fine. There never really needed to be any Star Wars beyond those three films; they are perfectly self-contained. In large part, because of that, I just can't get all that worked up about how good or bad these news ones are. They've always been just sort of extraneous. I also don't follow any of the Twitter "drama", KK writing group shenanigans, SJW agendas, etc. I don't immerse myself in YouTube videos that surgically shred each element of these movies in detail. So yeah, I'll buy a ticket for whatever the next one is, fret about it slightly like I would when I strain to work out a digested ball of tootsie rolls, and go back home and watch the OT again. If someone actually manages to capture and harness the old magic again, I might just actually get back in line to watch it again. That would be something.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 4 users