Starbound

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Sacriel - Twitch

Sacriel will be streaming most of the day. He has an awesome stream for bf4 also and actually tells you tricks and reasons why he does what he does in game.

Caliane

Its up on steam. *you may need to restart the client.
Emails going slow. however, if you still have your original email, you can just follow it back to the humble page, that is now updated with the steam key.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I installed and played for a few minutes over lunch. Cali is right; I had to redeem, then restart the Steam client to get it in my library. Past that, it went smooth.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
On my first planet I ran into a slightly bigger alien that had the red glowing orbs around him, which are for regen. After a long battle I killed him and he dropped a purple quality sword. After that I ran into a town of robots and killed everyone in there and found more loots.

I havent even started crafting past stone stuff personally.

Elerion

N00b
Played for 3-4 hours with friends last night. Observations:
- The game, just like Terraria, is a shit ton of fun with friends. Especially when everyone is clueless.
- The game was INCREDIBLY stable for us, given it's a beta. We didn't run into a single serious bug or crash all night, with up to 7 people playing on a non-dedicated server. Massive props to the devs for that.
- Someone said this wasn't really Terraria In Space. It very definitely is. If someone told me this was an expansion to Terraria, I would have no problems believing it. It feels like a step forward in terms of UI and overall concept though, even if the content might be slightly less interesting at this point.

Caliane

yeah. Its early beta so can't lean on anything too much yet. We'll see how it develops.

My experiences.
Start it up.
Crash on load. have to stop the process iirc.
start again. good to go.

Crash on shutdown. Have to stop the process to load it up again.

NPCS/monsters are randomly generated. This is neat in making weird monsters, bad in the fact its very hard to tell if a monster is hostile and hasn't seen you yet or neutral. Hostile DO generally make noises of aggression as a tell. but again, they may have simply not aggroed yet.
The other problem is because of this random generation drops from them are all uniform. Pixels aka gold aka cash when killed with a weapon. or leather/meat when killed with a hunting weapon.
This makes all the monsters basically exactly the same, regardless of how they look. I don't know if they have something planned here, but right now this is a terrible choice. and really boring.
"champions" do spawn and drop items.

I do not know if world size is random, or if all are one size. But the first world I spawned on was giant, and seemingly empty.
Played for hours and found 2 chests, no champions. 4 apex bomb shelters(which have nothing in them but deco), 2 avian house(again just deco)1 friendly avian npc who didnt seem to do anything.

Lots and lots of digging. like 5 kinds of cobblestone, which all get turned into the same basic kind on collection.
Nearly full silver now. tons of iron/copper. silver is a bit too rare it seems, for how much you need of it early.

Had to wiki/reddit a few things.
1. coal is fuel for your ship.
2. you can repair your pickaxe. right click ore in your inventory, then while its hovering, right click your damaged pick. 1ore=1bubble. must be equal or greater then axe quality.

heat mechanic is neat.
Particularly in hostile environments. frozen/moon. First place I went too was a moon. about 10seconds there, while Im jumping around testing moon gravity. screen starts going white. haha. evac! evac!

I wonder if they are going to keep the place material on liquids. letting you tunnel through it with ease.

Summoned the first boss too early. Didnt make a dent, ran away.
Was in iron/copper. And using iron bow, and basic sword I think.

will try again with full silver, and crafted iron weapons.

the weapon system is hard to read. that armor pen is really important it seems.
Crafted iron weapons read 5 pen, 28 damage vs the starter sword which is 1 pen, 25 damage.
Those iron weapons however hit monsters for like 60-100.
And bows are not attacking weapons at low levels at least. don't use it vs the boss, even if it seems like you should.

Elerion

N00b
Yeah, unless you want to cheese the AI, don't summon the first boss until you have maxed out your gear with the available materials, maybe even from additional planets.

There are tons of ways to cheese the boss, but it will be really fucking hard to do legit.

The game is pretty clear about what event causes you to spawn that boss.

Caliane

To be fair, cheesing bosses is kindof on par for these games.
Death arenas and all.

Also you can build it. just don't (E) activate it, until ready.

Elerion

N00b
Terraria death arenas give you a nice place to fight, but you still have to maneuver correctly. Some of the stuff you can do vs the first boss in Starbound gives you a zero risk way of killing the boss.

Or like our crew did: Just die over and over until you eventually win.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well they'll probably need it to destroy walls or go through them. Most bosses in terraria ended up having to be able to clip through shit to be remotely dangerous, golem I think is the only one that doesn't so you can design various setups so that you take no damage.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Soloing the boss seems pretty impossible without some kind of super cheese. Took our party of 4 in iron/silver stuff a solid 10 minutes of spawn rushing to get it dead.

Caliane

Figured out glass is made by smelting sand. Fine sand or sand work. dry does not.

Nothing else seemed to. couldn't smelt light metal or anything. did forget to try smelting steel platforms, but doubt it.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Needs more options. How the hell do you zoom out farther, the options don't allow you to zoom out far enough.

Caliane

I dont know about any zoom. usually thats locked more or less for balance reasons.
But you can use ctrl to look further in one direction at a time.

edit: apparently there is a zoom in options. But yeah. zooming out makes the game easier. shouldn't really let you go too far.

Caliane

hrm. yeah. todays run gave me a much better idea on a few things.

Planet size. Don't know if starter world size is random, but I clearly got a big one. on that map. its one planet alone. and its pretty huge.
Ran around it today and it took a good 6 days to cover the thing. found 3 avian temples. not much loot though.

Went to a level 3 arid planet however, earlier. and it was TINY. visibly so on the map as well. took 1 day to walk around. that one had a floran prison, and some slavers.

The ufo boss makes more sense to me now. and its not clear early.
Challenge rating and armor pen.

Silver armor is 10 armor. Alpha sector, is up to level 10 threat level planets.
Iron weapons you craft are 5 armor pen...

You need level 9-10(10armor pen) weapons from higher difficulty worlds to kill it more reasonably.