Starbound

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Pixels seem to be the only limiting resource now, as my starter planet was abundant with gold/plat/diamonds and such. Once you have the refinery though it seems like smooth sailing.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Same here on the coal situation. I can basically only find enough coal to have a skeleton supply of torches so I can continue to explore. I can't even think about fueling my ship at the moment.

The change in damage is also obnoxious. The Hunting Bow went from being overpowered to slightly underpowerd in my opinion. I don't want to have to shoot a mob 5 times while he is jumping around crazily / into my face. The amount of damage I take against mobs is also different, but I haven't quite put my finger on it. I had full Snow Infantry gear on my last character and was kind of babied.

Found my first piece of tech last night though, Pulse Jump. Just a simple double jump item but it is incredibly helpful for exploring and combat.

schnarkie_sl

shitlord
It becomes a little easier once you get to tier 6 - 10 maps because the other fuel types kick in. I do find myself going out of the way to get coal still even in these tiers. The amount of resources is a little crazy now. I don't even know what to do with them at this point.

You can still attack through blocks by making a small hole and swinging it'll typically hit the monsters. I'm still having a lot of fun even after the reset. They actually have armor in the game that doesn't make you get one shot by everything. Birds are a little OP though.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Finally getting into this tonight. Figured out to keep most of my good shit on my ship..

wtb a way to make a bigger ship.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was really looking forward to this, being a huge Terraria fan. Kind of glad I held off on purchasing it right away after reading about the rough launch they've been having. I'll probably buy it in 1-2 weeks when they have a chance to iron out the initial problems.
Most of the people complaining on the Starbound forums are pretty retarded. The beta is playing out just like the beta road map advertised it would. People just don't know what beta means, I guess.

Caliane

Tip of the day.

Put your weapon in 1. Bow/gun in 2. or other weapon.
Pickaxe in in L. axe/hoe/mm in R

The whole z and x weapon swap thing is kindof a pain in the ass imho. ive died more trying to swap to my weapon from bow or pick, then I have falling I think.

weapon in 1 is much more effective, in allowing you to swap to it from any weapon quickly.
Using x, you need to remember if you had your L or R mainhanded last.
As in, your mining or chopping wood, need to swap to your sword. hit X, and... its your gun. fuck. dude is already on top of you. hit z quick.
shit is just so clunky.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Finally getting into this tonight. Figured out to keep most of my good shit on my ship..

wtb a way to make a bigger ship.
Eventually there will be some pretty big ships you can upgrade to:Ship Upgrade Wiki

I've seen some screenshots around of people with larger ships, but they may have been modding it in prior to implementation..

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just tried multiplayer, not exactly the easiest thing to do, but can confirm this works

Edit: You may also need to edit one more line in that config file he shows. Change upnpportfowarding from true to false.

Caliane

Eventually there will be some pretty big ships you can upgrade to:Ship Upgrade Wiki

I've seen some screenshots around of people with larger ships, but they may have been modding it in prior to implementation..
Which does bring up a point.

TONS of modding going on already.
And these mods are definitely a great way to get your mark made on the game. (while not being paid for it! ha)
But yeah. popular ones are getting sucked into the game/stolen.

Pixel compressor was a mod for example.

Original design doc had ships being tiers of preset upgrades for hulls. But with all the build your own ships, I would not doubt if they steal that, instead of the premade ones. Unless they find a way to make land based building a bit more relevant. Although even then, both might make it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Original design doc had ships being tiers of preset upgrades for hulls. But with all the build your own ships, I would not doubt if they steal that, instead of the premade ones. Unless they find a way to make land based building a bit more relevant. Although even then, both might make it.
I think that would be more fun. To start off on a world like Terraria, your home world, that you build up to get tech to launch into space, there you can get a space station which you then can build spaceships from. Would seem a bit more progression based. Is there any reason at all to build a house now? Seems much more efficient to put all the tools on the ship.

In terms of items, it seems quicker to just travel to smaller worlds and circle the surface killing npcs and picking up chests along the way.

I don't mind the game copying/building upon Terraria, I just wish it was more like Terraria. No idea what the plan is for the future of the game, but hope there will be more point to building things. Combat certainly isn't fun enough to warrant it being all the gameplay.

Caliane

yeah. from what I understand actual town building is planned.
you can already spawn guards, and other npcs. But doing so will be more later. Defending vs invasions and the like, intended. we'll see.
So yeah.

And yeah, right now its a giant step back from Terraria honestly. Biomes currently offer nothing new. only couple even have any items associated to them. weapons are totally random. so its not like there is even a difference between a usmc prison colony or a floran prison. both carry guns and dont even drop guns...

so right now this is a major problem. Why would I even explore snow biomes? its not like there is anything that only COMES from a snow biome, except snow and ice. must really want snowballs.
cell matter does come from slime biomes. crystal seeds from crystal.

xasiklas

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am very interested
Sorry, someone else was quicker with a pm
frown.png

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
I like the ideas that have been brought up of having started out with a crash landing and having to rebuild your ship etc and then move on to other planets. I don't like how building a base isn't really necessary due to your spaceship.