Starbound

Caliane

Another, stop playing for a couple weeks post apparently.
Final character wipe will be included with the next patch, for everyone asking! So.as soon as possible. In 2014.
wink.png

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Yeah..For now Darkout and Craft the World are better games to be playing for this genre for me atm.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ya Craft the World is decent but once you beat a world you have pretty much seen everything. They need to work on a carrot to keep you playing (story of some kind or something..) Darkout is ok, but the crashes have made it mostly unplayable (turning off autosave helps, but does not fix it) The complete lack of polish on games these days is just stupid. I understand (to a point) early access being that way, but advertising those games in anything other than the early access list should not be allowed. Planetary Annihilation for 90 bucks when it was first advertised was ludicrous. Starbound has been better than most though.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am really liking Chucklefish as a developer. They are making a lot of fun little games and I noticed that I have been buying them without even realizing they are all made by the same company until I load them up and see that splash screen.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Your link doesn't work. I'm interested in starbound, but have not bought it yet. Been waiting until they do the final wipe, since I don't fancy putting in the time just to have it all deleted. Has there been word on when that last wipe will happen?

Caliane

"soonish" on the "last" wipe.

next patch, within the next few weeks. Not sure whats up with the link .I think their site is down or something.
Newsletter | Starbound
it was the January newsletter. but even this direct link from their site is not working atm.

It talks about wipe and next patch coming in the next few weeks. And then highlights a number of mods, they recommend.

The xmas patch added enough content that I would call it playable. More would be better for sure. its not on par with Terraria, etc yet of course.
Although if you do start modding, TONS of content there.
And even if they dont force wipes, you will almost certainly want to do it a few more times yourself, just because of changes to content at various levels of progress. when the fix balance for first 5 teirs of bosses, and you are in end game gear. not restarting on purpose is kindof boring.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Just started playing this. Completely new to this type of game and loving it so far. I like the direction this game and dev are going.

Caliane

megapatch is live.
I don't have time to play now. or probably even this evening. so can't actually give a personal rundown, how it is.

changelog.
Changelog for v. Furious Koala 26/01/2013

Hey there Stargazers and Sports Racers,

It's been quite some time since the last patch, and we have some very large changes dropping this release.

Code Changes:

Absolutely massive changes to disk serialization (sorry reversers), which will allow us to never need to wipe players or ships again, and hopefully never need to wipe worlds again.

Related, we now have a proper versioning system for save files.

Added difficulty levels and permadeath characters to the game.

Packed assets into databases (speeds up startup significantly), and included asset packing and unpacking utilities with the distribution. This should also allow for easier distribution of mods, and easier construction and management of slimmed down distributions for dedicated servers (official server paks coming soon.)

Fix some graphical glitches with the wire nodes.

Fixed some pretty nasty deadlocking bugs with networking.

Fixed some very strange memory leak bugs stemming from a gcc lambda capture bug.

Fixed various crash bugs related to a number of different issues (thanks for the bug reports, keep em coming.)

Speed up improvements with falling sand and other projectiles.

More efficient databases storage layout.

Documentation for lua functions have been written, and we're going to release them soonish.

Removed NaN floats from the code for performance reasons (reenabled -ffinite-math-only), we had been using them to signal that the float is disabled or in an invalid state, but we have a system for that now.

Some internal changes that make maintaining code much happier for us, including better enum to string handling and much faster compiles.

Other minor things, too numerous to list here.

Fun Changes:

It's no longer the holiday, so we've removed the holiday stuff for now, we'll put them back when we have a better way of enabling it for holiday time.

PVP is now forced enabled within Sector X. If you're in a party there's no team damage though.

All player drops are persistent now. So if you accidentally throw your diamond drill down a mineshaft, you don't have to suicide trying to get it back before it disappears.

New Monster attacks (gravity slam! gust attacks! other stuff!)

Fixed Legendary Weapons damage (adjusted up to be more. well. Legendary.)

We've put in new Techs (such as a Glitch Mech).

New biome type enabled. Savannah.

Boss Lore!

No more eating bandages and stims, they have their own thing now.

Better, more featureful abc file support, and we have Wanderlust music in the game now. (Thanks Leth and D2!)

Made NPC chatter more configurable and slightly more varied.

Added new objects (such as lava biome treasure chests).

Added new items (like nightsticks and bonesaws).

Sword swooshes are only active for 0.6 seconds instead of 0.9 seconds. Making cooldown times actually matter without slowing down combat. Also fine tuned their hitboxes.

Viking helmet? Viking helmet.

Watch out for landmines.

Various changes to treasure drop pools (like avianguards actually dropping their guns.)

Minor tweaks to existing armors to make them look better.

Medieval Furnace now actually acts like a Furnace. (Rejoice).

Graphical upgrades to some existing plants, and new plants.

Other stuff!

We look forward to hearing what you think about the patch. This was a very big one this time around.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Seems I need to tailor every deck to try to counter hunter rush because that's all I see every other game even in casual. This shit is getting annoying.

I've also seen almost no warlocks since the patch. I'm guessing all the wurlocks switched to hunter?
Huh? Are you talking about that WoW CCG?

Caliane

A "state of the game" post. And a look forward to what is planned.
The future of Chucklefish and Starbound | Starbound

some bizarre sounding stuff in there. PvP, etc.
A DF style renting rooms to npc, etc.. I do really want to see some town building and npcs with real AI and their own schedules. Farmers farming, chefs cooking.
That would be some really cool stuff. Farming npcs planting and harvesting automatically, bringing crops to a chest. A chef going and grabbing that food, and cooking it.

State of the game right now. Since I had time to play that new patch.
not much changed. I was a bit surprised how little was added, seemingly for such a long delayed patch. All behind the scenes stuff I guess.

What is in the game now? Building mostly. If you want a combat and progression style game like Terraria. that is currently entirely missing. Exploration and fighting is pretty boring currently. there is no variation in monsters, or your weapons really. well minor at best. rockets/grenades. xbows, sniper rifles, assault rifles. those are a bit different. some of the legendary weapons too. But nothing remotely like terraria has.

What starbound does have now is building. there are already more materials to build with, raw mineable/craftable materials, and then the special harvest unique stuff in NPC towns/dungeons as well.
Add in the rng trees, and the complex wiring system, and really its much more advanced here then terraria already. Can even build a zoo, with captured creatures.

The modding of course as well is huge. lots of mods that fill in many of the gaps, in official release progress.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My kids are obsessed with this and terraria on the 360. Terraria is pretty much all they have been playing for the past month with their buddies. I should start playing this to check it out.

Caliane

New patch.

Patch Notes | Starbound

At this moment note very interesting. some of the content was actually missed. "oops"
Valentines day stuff, likely patched in later today, tomorrow.

Apparently it was mostly behind the scenes stuff again. They are promising nearly daily updates.