Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Bethesda delaying a game for polish? Love their games, but yeah, that is actually a bit of a surprise. Seeing that Microsoft influence already.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
That’s good. Rather be delayed and released product with minor bugs rather be rushed job with game breaking bugs.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

It took them years to somewhat recover from FO76’s shaky launch, so not surprising

Cybsled

It's supposedly still made in the Creation engine, just modified. Sort of like how they modified it in FO76 to allow for extremely large outdoor areas.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Have they moved on from the shitty fallout engine?

No. It is still native Gamebryo with add on's and renaming it.

AI NPC behavior + Gamebryo = Creation Engine.
Z-Axis (Horrid) flight controls + AI NPC Behavior + Gamebryo = Creation Engine 2.

It's comical at this point.

The space combat is one reason for the delay -- turns out there is a much larger reason because you know as well as I do Bethesda doesn't give a shit about quality launches...

Reason numero uno: Project Nexus.

Sounds like the push was also due to the completion of development for the above (Gee, which ironically enough was pushed to the same timeframe as the two new game launches discussed here.... Weird.)

Anyway, they mention Free to Play only games, but MS considers Gamepass free to play (Obviously with a subscription). They plan on using this ad-tech to generate revenue for publishers and ad companies only at first - to entice publishers with extra revenue when people download their games off gamepass. The better the game, the more it's played, the more ad revenue. If it takes off, they fully plan on pulling the rug out and capturing 20-25% of the revenue once it is deemed lucrative for publishers and they are "Hooked".

So not only will the game be pure shit, you will be treated to this little gem.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I mean this was pretty obvious - we're 6 months from the initial release window and have seen like 8 screenshots/art shots and zero else. Has train wreck written all over it.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I mean this was pretty obvious - we're 6 months from the initial release window and have seen like 8 screenshots/art shots and zero else. Has train wreck written all over it.

Just wait until you fiddle through horrid space flight controls and zoom your ship right into Pizza Hut billboard in space.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Eh, that at least is fairly standard for Bethesda nowadays. They're big on cramming the whole pre-release marketing cycle into the ~6 months before release; did it for Skyrim, did it for Fallout 4, I think they did it for Fallout 76.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Eh, that at least is fairly standard for Bethesda nowadays. They're big on cramming the whole pre-release marketing cycle into the ~6 months before release; did it for Skyrim, did it for Fallout 4, I think they did it for Fallout 76.
This is definitely the way to go for established brands. Let the early access devs scrape for pre-release publicity to get that drip of preordering/backing.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I get that but you'd think after the cluster-F that was FO76 they'd be tripping over themselves to showcase the next great thing if it was indeed the next great thing? Like, I get not wanting to go the CP2077 route of constant hype marketing, videos etc and then falling on your sword on release but CDPR was coming off the back of a massively successful game/expansion release with W3. Bethesda has had stinker after stinker and I imagine has lost a ton of good will with the gaming consumer

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I get that but you'd think after the cluster-F that was FO76 they'd be tripping over themselves to showcase the next great thing if it was indeed the next great thing? Like, I get not wanting to go the CP2077 route of constant hype marketing, videos etc and then falling on your sword on release but CDPR was coming off the back of a massively successful game/expansion release with W3. Bethesda has had stinker after stinker and I imagine has lost a ton of good will with the gaming consumer
If you've cut a few stinkers, you're not going to talk about getting into an elevator with someone until you know you're fully bathed.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No. It is still native Gamebryo with add on's and renaming it.

AI NPC behavior + Gamebryo = Creation Engine.
Z-Axis (Horrid) flight controls + AI NPC Behavior + Gamebryo = Creation Engine 2.

It's comical at this point.

The space combat is one reason for the delay -- turns out there is a much larger reason because you know as well as I do Bethesda doesn't give a shit about quality launches...

Reason numero uno: Project Nexus.

Sounds like the push was also due to the completion of development for the above (Gee, which ironically enough was pushed to the same timeframe as the two new game launches discussed here.... Weird.)

Anyway, they mention Free to Play only games, but MS considers Gamepass free to play (Obviously with a subscription). They plan on using this ad-tech to generate revenue for publishers and ad companies only at first - to entice publishers with extra revenue when people download their games off gamepass. The better the game, the more it's played, the more ad revenue. If it takes off, they fully plan on pulling the rug out and capturing 20-25% of the revenue once it is deemed lucrative for publishers and they are "Hooked".

So not only will the game be pure shit, you will be treated to this little gem.
Depends on how intrusive its going to be. I dont want ads to come into gaming at all, but it was/is only a matter of time before advertisers found/find a way to make it into gaming. All of Hollywood makes less than a third of the total revenue that gaming does.

The state farm ad in that basketball game was insanely, over the top intrusive. Should make you hate not only State Farm, but the publisher of that game as well for having the audacity to do that. But an ad on the side of a building in whatever flavor of the month FPS that is just in my peripheral vision, I could give two shits about. Hell, half of them just make up some fake ad or fake brand anyways for towns.

Imagine instead of Nuka-Cola, you had just straight up Coca-Cola all around the Fall Out universe. "Out all the fucked up shit thats happened to the world in Fall Out - Coke is still around!" Hell, they could have went with the Pespi brand instead "Pepsi-Cola" and then the Quantum Cola could have been "Mountain Dew Quantum" with cross advertising. Extra points to the devs if the drinks still gave RAD points and werent some over powered shit. As far as Starfield, we're probably going to have star bases and thats just a no brainer to have a bulletin board in those places. Just an absolute metric fuck ton of ad placement could be in the game and it wouldnt feel "out of place" unlike putting an ad next to the AH in WoW and how intrusive that would feel.

Outside of all of this, I just dont think that in-game ads are going to be "that" successful. Popular soda brands are instantly recognizable, same with Snickers, Doritos, etc. Typical shit a fat 13 year old gamer would eat. That stuff would probably be a good fit. But even with ad targeting, I'm having trouble believing that someone would alt tab out of a game they are actively playing just to purchase something they saw in an ad. HOWEVER, a helpful website for a brand new game might be the perfect coupling. For instance, imagine if Allakhazam had been advertising in WoW from launch. Would (example) WoWhead have been as popular as it is today?

Lots of possibilities, but having to put up with the growing pains of all these companies trying to learn how to advertise in their game without pushing the audience away is going to be fucking god awful.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think some of beth's former best are off together in an indie studio making an elderscrollish game.

• 1Truth!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think some of beth's former best are off together in an indie studio making an elderscrollish game.
Yeah just like the Fallout past devs came together to make outer worlds which was pretty ass compared. Being a dev is one thing, but directing it all to a good cohesive, fun game is entirely another.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
"Mountain Dew Quantum"
And Doritos for snacks.

It all comes full circle.

the-circle.gif

Caliane

yeah. I don't you can read TOO much into pre-release info. Any company that is not 100% retarded should basically keep their mouths should about anything beyond the name, genre, and some screenshots, fmv cutscene until the game has gone gold, and is about 3-6months out.
Companies can't be that retarded. Gaming has been a thing for a long time now. its the Demo problem. 9/10 times a Demo does more damage then promote the game. demos only have value if you really have a TRULY kickass gameplay slice, and your game is just completely unknown. Vampire survivors, Riftbreaker, etc.
too much prerelease showing off, is only going to hurt you, unless you are just CERTAIN, the final product will nail everything you tease in the promos. And content that's ultimately cut, will hurt you.

look at Elden ring, how much did we see?

Witcher 3 did show off alot.. but did nail it as well.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
yeah. I don't you can read TOO much into pre-release info. Any company that is not 100% retarded should basically keep their mouths should about anything beyond the name, genre, and some screenshots, fmv cutscene until the game has gone gold, and is about 3-6months out.
Companies can't be that retarded. Gaming has been a thing for a long time now. its the Demo problem. 9/10 times a Demo does more damage then promote the game. demos only have value if you really have a TRULY kickass gameplay slice, and your game is just completely unknown. Vampire survivors, Riftbreaker, etc.
too much prerelease showing off, is only going to hurt you, unless you are just CERTAIN, the final product will nail everything you tease in the promos. And content that's ultimately cut, will hurt you.

look at Elden ring, how much did we see?

Witcher 3 did show off alot.. but did nail it as well.

Didn't Elden Ring have a huge demo that everyone was streaming?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They did a network test like 6 months or so prior to release