Steam Deals and Digital Sales

spronk

FPS noob
descent underground is part of this week's monday bundle for $1.89
https://www.indiegala.com/monday

the game sells for $30 (early access) on steam and was kickstarted sometime last year, people who KS's for $50-100 are super pissed that newbies are getting it for like... 30 cents. Even the developer seems thrown off, he didn't realize the bundle would sell so cheap and he thought indiegala was a charity site (its not, its basically a couple italian dudes selling all the steam keys they can). anyways worth a buy. i've bought pretty much every indiegala bundle in the past year (100+), they are legit

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Figured Witcher 3 should probably last me awhile. When is the next sale after Christmas? Summer?
Yeah summer usually. They have a bunch of sales in a row at the end of the year, but after that it's nothing until summer. If you track sales in general though, there's plenty of stuff being sold either during week long deals, weekend deals and other websites do sales pretty often too.

As for this winter sale, I personally bought... nothing. I could have bought a bunch of stuff that's on my wishlist cause it was good prices, but I checked how much money I spent last year on games I didn't play and I figured I didn't need more. I'll try to go through my backlog first before I buy more shit. Saves me a bunch of money this way too since some of the stuff will probably go even lower by the time I buy them.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I already own Age of Mythology and it's expansion normal mode. I'm not picking up "HD" for 15 bucks. That's a 2 dollar resolution change and I refuse to pay more than that~ (Only thing on my wishlist to go on sale this winter. Also the only thing on my wishlist. Too many games =|)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Still worse than Best Buy from what I read since you get 20% of every game and some money on the next purchase kind of stuff, but better than nothing. Meanwhile in Europe, I can pay 50euros a year to get 1day delivery and get on the terrible flash sales a few hours early. Yay.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Origin: Powered by EA | Origin Games

Origin has launched its "Origin Access" plan for PC. $4.99 for a selection of 15 games currently. Includes digital deluxe versions of BF4 & DA: Inquisition among others (Dead Space's, Hardline etc). Could actually see myself picking up a month or two of that eventually. Netflix for games shit should be interesting once more companies start doing this.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Origin: Powered by EA | Origin Games

Origin has launched its "Origin Access" plan for PC. $4.99 for a selection of 15 games currently. Includes digital deluxe versions of BF4 & DA: Inquisition among others (Dead Space's, Hardline etc). Could actually see myself picking up a month or two of that eventually. Netflix for games shit should be interesting once more companies start doing this.
Planetary Annihilation is part of the Friday bundle, $2.99 -https://www.indiegala.com/friday

descent underground is part of this week's monday bundle for $1.89
https://www.indiegala.com/monday

the game sells for $30 (early access) on steam and was kickstarted sometime last year, people who KS's for $50-100 are super pissed that newbies are getting it for like... 30 cents. Even the developer seems thrown off, he didn't realize the bundle would sell so cheap and he thought indiegala was a charity site (its not, its basically a couple italian dudes selling all the steam keys they can). anyways worth a buy. i've bought pretty much every indiegala bundle in the past year (100+), they are legit
One of the fears initially was that Ubi and others would follow suit on consoles... unfortunately they haven't. Depending on what you play it's been a better value than XB GWG and PS+ this gen, so yeah, bring it on. I'd be happy to pay an annual fee to each of the major publishers for a growing catalog and free 10+ hour relatively full evaluations of games.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Got a really fun tower defense game off steam a few days ago. May still be on sale. Called Gemcraft 2. Only cost $1.99, but lots of maps and lots of fun.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Obligatory "you might as well just pirate the game if you're going to buy from CDKeys, G2A, etc." post!
biggrin.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Obligatory "you might as well just pirate the game if you're going to buy from CDKeys, G2A, etc." post!
biggrin.png
Hah. They've earned my money for the sequel from the first one alone.

Does buying it this way screw the developers? I don't buy games early very often, that's a bummer if so.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Hah. They've earned my money for the sequel from the first one alone.

Does buying it this way screw the developers? I don't buy games early very often, that's a bummer if so.
Yes. Keys are purchased in countries where the game is sold for way, way less due to exchange rate/prevalence of piracy issues. Sometimes the keys are just straight up stolen. So buy all your EA/Activision games that way but if you want to support a developer you need to buy a key domestically.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any site that has "keys" anywhere near the URL or name is basically reselling cheap ass physical copies from other countries for a massive profit for themselves to U.S. people, mostly. G2A is mostly guilty of enabling people in their market to do that although supposedly they themselves sell legitimate-ish keys.

Edit: So yes, if you think they've earned your money... you just gave them none of it :p

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
What about cheap-ass bundles? I alreadyalmostfeel guilty for indulging in them as much as I do. Are HumbleBundle and IndieGala raping puppies or anything?

Rime

<Donor>
What about cheap-ass bundles? I alreadyalmostfeel guilty for indulging in them as much as I do. Are HumbleBundle and IndieGala raping puppies or anything?
HumbleBundle? No. Some of the others, yes.

A few game devs have come out and said they did not give permission for many of the smaller bundle sites to place their games in a bundle. Though, this may sometimes just be the devs trying to save face after they milk kickstarter/EA backers for full price, then get everything they can a week after release when people find out their game is a hot mess.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yes. Keys are purchased in countries where the game is sold for way, way less due to exchange rate/prevalence of piracy issues. Sometimes the keys are just straight up stolen. So buy all your EA/Activision games that way but if you want to support a developer you need to buy a key domestically.
Many times the keys are purchased with stolen credit cards as well. It is overall an extremely, extremely shitty process you should in no way support only to save a few bucks.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
You'd think except no

when they stop selling keys based on demographic price points come talk to me. They know they make 0 dollars selling keys at 50 a pop in certain regions so they drop them to 15 to sell 50,000 because they're greedy as fuck. Unfortunately for them it's being exploited.

Lol stolen credit cards.