Stellaris

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It is, but I'm really enjoying it for the total nerd shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've watched maybe 1/2 dozen star trek episodes in my life and maybe 2 movies so I'll probably be lost.

khorum

Murder Apologist
so good though.

Fuck food. Research sentient AI and cyborg your entire race.

Keep one pop of your biological on your home planet and never tell him that everyone else is a robot.
Hiveminds and Machine races might actually lose out to hypercapitalist (materialist/xenophile/pacifists) that stacks happiness and +migration attraction. In fact, you'd need to do inward perfection with agrarian civics and racial traits to approach the growth potential of a crazily +migration stacked xenophile build.

Unless you get really unlucky with xenophobe neighbors, xenophile+migration is the fastest way to grow populations hands down.

• 1SJW

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
starting up new horizons on the main official map but I have a feeling a lot of the fun will be on the random start maps. thoughts Araysar Araysar ?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
starting up new horizons on the main official map but I have a feeling a lot of the fun will be on the random start maps. thoughts Araysar Araysar ?

I did the main official map - i think a lot of the fun comes from the empires being positioned on map where they were in the canon, so you get a lot of those similar interactions (Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, etc.) as you build up.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I did the main official map - i think a lot of the fun comes from the empires being positioned on map where they were in the canon, so you get a lot of those similar interactions (Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, etc.) as you build up.
Yeah I agree - I like playing the game with a somewhat canon playthrough.

I've only played a couple of hours so far, but I've found that the Dominion has little for content. Humans have a ton because you go through the stories of the show. Not sure how other race starts play out by comparison - any ideas how much content there is for the Borg or the Klingons are?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I agree - I like playing the game with a somewhat canon playthrough.

I've only played a couple of hours so far, but I've found that the Dominion has little for content. Humans have a ton because you go through the stories of the show. Not sure how other race starts play out by comparison - any ideas how much content there is for the Borg or the Klingons are?

No idea, I only played Humans/Federation. Im guessing there will be a decent amount for Borg and Klingons since there was quite a bit of lore for both. I know Species 8472 are in the game (but i dont think they are a playable race) so you can at least expect some of that in the Borg playthrough. Klingons have a ton of lore, and hopefully a decent amount made it into the game - with the level of autism Ive seen so far, I'd expect klingons to be done pretty well.

In retrospect, the Dominion was painted really one-dimensionally in DS9, so Im not surprised that they have shit for content

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What do you guys use for fleet compositions?

I tend to do a "pyramid," style. For example, if I have 4 corvettes then I add 2 destroyers and 1 cruiser. But, this is from my numerous hours playing Hearts of Iron 4 so I am not sure if it applies to Stellaris because it is not working. Even when playing as militaristic races, pushing fleet capacity and upgrading my ships with better weapons and add-ons I still cannot win a war.

Any tips?

Rime

<Donor>
Honestly, it all depends on what version of the game, what mods (if any), and what your enemies are using.

For a very (from launch until maybe two versions ago) long time, you went 100% Corvettes and zerged. Now, you want a nice mixture, with your weapons depending upon what your enemies are using.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

I tend to do a "pyramid," style. For example, if I have 4 corvettes then I add 2 destroyers and 1 cruiser. But, this is from my numerous hours playing Hearts of Iron 4 so I am not sure if it applies to Stellaris because it is not working. Even when playing as militaristic races, pushing fleet capacity and upgrading my ships with better weapons and add-ons I still cannot win a war.

Any tips?

Each ship class has a class specific tech that helps a lot in battle. You also need to have only 1 of that class to be able to use that tech. For example, i think the cruiser has some sort of battle wide debuff that applies on the enemy, reducing their regen and fire rate. In the Star Trek mod its called "Fleet Battle Bridge" or some shit like that, supposed to be like a battle command center to coordinate the entire fleet.

What i do is just let the computer auto generate the best template for each class. Make 1 of each ship available, i.e. i 1 battleship, 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer, 1 frigate to make sure i get all those ship bonuses, and then normally I stack the fleet with whatever has the best ship value (that point score they assign to every ship) vs. the maintenance, time and cost it takes to build one. So typically my fleet will end up looking thus:

25 frigates (usually the best value to build for a good portion of the game)
2 destroyers (need only 1, have the other as backup)
2 cruisers (need only 1, have the other as backup)
25 battlecruisers (cheap, relatively fast to make, good standoff weapons to pound enemy from a distance - most of your damage will be generated here)
2 battleships (need only 1, have the other as backup)

the engagements are fairly short, and the frigates do a good job keeping the enemy occupied while the rest of your battlecruisers and large ships pound the enemy from afar. AI will continue to engage whatever is nearest them for the most part so they will rarely advance on your large ships until most of the frigates are destroyed. with 25 of them, its not an easy task. and whatever is destroyed is easily replaceable unlike a cruiser that takes 450 days to build. replacing frigates is also much simpler because you can assign 1-2 to every starbase and if you have at least 10 starbases, you're back up to 20 frigates in 60-90 days vs. waiting 450 days on 1 cruiser.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>

Any tips?

I haven't played since Caepek update but before that if you didn't want to Corvette zerg you'd build a 3-2-1 setup of Frigates/Destroyers/Cruisers using Energy Torps and Plasma's. Battleships were a waste of resources due to their load-out only being L types which have really shitty tracking whereas an L on a Destroyer would actually do more damage due to the higher tracking and also your BB's could never equal a AE BB in power so why even try? The only time I would build BB's would be for shits and giggles when the game was already won or whatever that Crises event species was that you wanted to engage at max range no matter what.

Also when fighting AE fleets you want to lure them into a warp trap so they jump right on top of you, their BB's won't be able to target you while your Torps and Plasma's just tear through them like nothing. Supposedly the Caepek update stopped the Missle overkill and they're now viable but Plasma works on everything so I would still beeline for it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
At the end game I usually build 3-4 different classes of battleships. I'll have a PD/strike-craft BB with PD and flak, medium weapon BB with a broadside fore section with high tracking weapons for medium/torpedo ships and BB with the X foremount with either giga kinetics or a tachyon lance. I try to keep em around 50% spinal mount class, 25% PD/strikecraft and 25% medium... that'll shift depending on who I'd be at war with.

But basically once I can field a spinal mount X weapon I tend to retire my destroyers/cruisers and just build BBs to counter or replace those roles.

• 1Solidarity

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Since Caepek, BBs are great again. You just mass strike craft (which also give you needed-now pd slots) and those shred any trash you lack tracking for. All BB fleets are fine and usually mine are half carriers.

An important consideration is that mixed or pyramid fleets are vulnerable to long ranged and/or anti shield enemies, due to focus on ship class. If you have say 40 20 10 5, the enemy may focus fire one type eg corvette and finish those off, then say destroyers to finish, on up. If that fleet was just 20 battleships or 40 cruisers instead, the damage would be spread and take a while before anything died, leaving you 100% firepower as long as possible.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I kinda hate how they hedged their bets with the missile fix by adding a reacquisition radius stat tho. I get that an infinite reacquisition range would bump missiles from being the worst weapon class to being the best, but in practice the reacquisition ranges for even the endgame missiles end up being waay too short.

As it is missiles COULD be more viable if you rushed for the T2/3 ones during the early game, but the minute anyone fields PD on a destroyer, they're back to worthless.

They should just use a fixed range for the missiles and have them stay active for the full extent of their range, IE keep reacquiring new targets until they run out of fuel or expand the options to defeat PD via research. Swarm missiles are still med-slot only too.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Question for you guys playing the New Horizons mod - any ideas on how to speed up turn performance? Each month takes a little more than 15 seconds, to give you context I'm playing as the Federation and I'm about 100 years in. I'm wondering if I need to reduce the number of colonizable planets and number of primitive species more -- I set it to .75 each. Perhaps this mod is just slow in general?

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Question for you guys playing the New Horizons mod - any ideas on how to speed up turn performance? Each month takes a little more than 15 seconds, to give you context I'm playing as the Federation and I'm about 100 years in. I'm wondering if I need to reduce the number of colonizable planets and number of primitive species more -- I set it to .75 each. Perhaps this mod is just slow in general?
Never play larger than medium.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

That sounds pretty fast to me.

A month in 15 seconds? I play on fastest setting and a month takes at least a minute for me. I also play on lowest graphical settings to max out performance.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I assumed fastest was a set speed. If I'm understanding correctly, it's just "rape your CPU to the max"?