Stellaris

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
I'm waiting for a big patch before I even try touching this. AI still not that great at the new mechanics (sitting on tons of resources), all of the robot DLC empires got nerfed out the ass, and the lauded late game lag fixes may have ended up lagging the game worse all the time now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I have never played without mods. Holy shit the default traditions suck ass. Pick up Expansion and uh... yeah everything else sucks.

Last edited:

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Getting more used to the planet management and now that I looked at the information provided (my eyes hurt), I like some of the new systems. No idea how they play out in mid and late game though.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
UI is still a mess though. Some information popups just fill your screen and you get eye cancer because you cant sort or filter. and fuck that left bar. I want the old top bar back.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Fired up and started an Earth based run as a Megacorp... Got screwed on placement. The yellow arrow points out the Enigmatic Station, or whatever it's called. No more expansion for me!
Stellaris.png

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
The new systems and mechanics feel like a lot healthier direction for the long term future of the game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
I haven't even started a megacorp game yet but it sounds like the response has been pretty good. And the negative reactions haven't been as bad as when Apocalypse dropped massive hyperlane-only changes.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
LOL I didn't mind the micromanagement of the tile system at all. I was arguing for it a couple days before Megacorp came out.

I figured there would be A TON more things to consider since Le Guin was supposed to shove an entire economic model on top of an already-sprawling game. I'll give it a shot when I get home.

• 1Like

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I really like all the new buildings and mechanics but I find that I spend a lot more time paused while I make decisions on what building to build. I guess it's not any worse than how it was before, just more decision making. I do think the micromanagement is still about the same amount as before but I do feel more "reward" from the new system. Overall I do like the changes.

• 1Like

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Megacorp ruined the game. There is actually now MORE micromanagement than before.
IMHO, more micromanagement isn't always a bad thing depending on 1) Does it feel rewarding and the do the decisions made feel impactful and 2) Does all the micromanagement overall feel overwhelming/too much. Personally, I feel like this patch handled #1 really well - every decision feels like it can either be a positive or negative impact to what your strategy is, and for #2, I don't personally feel overwhelmed yet. But that's just me

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Bought this, played it, and ended up uninstalling Stellaris, EU4 and CK2. I love Paradox and the *concept* behind their games but their endless dev cycle ends up with their games becoming a huge mess. I've said it before but they need to limit their games to a few expansions before starting afresh. Shit is too confusing and convoluted now.

• 1Solidarity

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
You should have the option to play on an older version if you don't like the updates.

I agree that they do eventually end up with way too many mechanics in their games. That's why I don't buy many expansions, just the "best" ones. That way you get the good stuff without worrying about all the unnecessary fluff.

• 1Like

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am really enjoying the new stuff. Hadn't played in over a year as well so I don't agree that it's too confusing and convoluted. Took a couple starts to figure out the mechanics but now that I have I am finding it a big improvement over the previous iterations. I like the planet system a ton more now, agreed there is some degree of micromanagement but keeping your economy humming with careful planning of buildings and districts I find a lot more interesting and engaging than just trying to maximize adjaceny bonuses.

The alloys and consumer goods add a new dimension to the economy that was lacking before and the new market system letting you run a deficiency in one resource and sell others to make up for it is great too.

I will however take exception with the performance of the game. Once you hit early mid game the game slows noticeably when you turn it up to the faster speeds. Stuttering/hitching while panning the camera around, things like that. It's not unplayable, but for sure could use some work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
I will however take exception with the performance of the game. Once you hit early mid game the game slows noticeably when you turn it up to the faster speeds. Stuttering/hitching while panning the camera around, things like that. It's not unplayable, but for sure could use some work.
Part of performance issues are coming from trade route calculations routing through wormholes or something like that. The beta branch has some fixes that alleviate a bit of it.

I'm still waiting for a major patch (or 2?) before even trying it. Ship upgrading is broken as hell with it taking so long and costing so much you are better off just building new ships. Market can be exploited for infinite energy/resources (how did they not find this in testing?). Machine Empires took a huge nerf that I hope they roll back a bit because they're just salty one of the folks in the dev clash played an ME and exploited a building to basically become as strong as an endgame crisis.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Beta patch out today supposedly improves on that. My ONI colony finally failed so I was able to start a new megacorp and yeah that stutter that kicks in midgame is just horrible. I have no idea how that got past QA.

Still quite enjoy the game though it seems the criminal heritage megacorp is easily undertuned since half gestalt empires and fanatic purifiers are immune to their shit and all the others routinely close down my drug labs after a few years.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Is their tutorial updated for major changes? I had done most of tutorial ages ago then kinda petered out. Was ready to maybe give the game a fresh go.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The splash screen says to check out the updated tutorials so yeah, prolly.

It might be particularly helpful for the planetary management screen too. I had to mope around for a few minutes before I found out how to terraform planets with the new UI. It's the tiny planet button on the bottom left, next to the button that shows the planetary features.... which is ANOTHER useful button that should be more prominent since those planetary features can have profound consequences early in the game.

Also burning through the endgame for my latest beta patch 2.23 playthrough, the trade-related slowdowns are much improved but it's still perceptibly bad at the endgame. It's improved on my laptop but it's still noticeable on my gaming PC.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Know any fix for a bunch of text in like tutorial windows being cut off in the top border of the box? Like its scrolled down too far when there's no scrolling room.