steve jobs

Simas_sl

shitlord
Like I said I don't know jack about Steve Jobs, but apparently his wife wasn't included in the movie and she talked Christian Bale and Leonardo Dicaprio from acting in it. Who knows.
Yeah, based on the trailers I've seen, I think the movie is mostly about Steven Jobs being an asshole. I can understand why his wife may take issue with it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
People who knew Jobs are saying that this movie is 90% fiction just like The Social Network and it's not just his wife. The Social Network was a good movie but I think we can just assume that if we're watching an Aaron Sorkin movie about silicon valley it will probably be entertaining but we should not consider it a realistic representation of history at all.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The source material is based on nothing but a hand full of interviews that Jobs did. Chances are they weren't 100% truthful either.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How many people have stood up for Jobs? seems like everyone has either talked shit or held their tongue and just said he was a marketing guru

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
How many people have stood up for Jobs? seems like everyone has either talked shit or held their tongue and just said he was a marketing guru
He wasn't a marketing guru, and frankly all the people who misunderstand what made Jobs so special is frustrating

He had vision and not only could he recognize greatness in products and ideas, but he understood what it took to realize it. He made plenty of bad decisions and mistakes. No he didn't 'invent' shit or build shit by himself. People think that its good ideas that make successfully people or defines brilliance. Good, even great ideas are cheap. Work in Silicon Valley long enough and you learn there a tons of brilliant ideas and brilliant people. Whats hard is execution, vision, and leadership. Wozniak is a brilliant engineer. But without someone like Jobs, he wouldn't have had the drive or motivation to build an empire. He was a builder. His focus was building a great 'thing', not trying to build a company. Steve saw beyond the thing and understood what it took to build something larger than the thing in question.

When Steve introduced the iPhone he talked about pivotal products that impact a generation, and how few companies are lucky to introduce one in their lifetime. Apple Introduced three:

The Macintosh, the iPod, and the iPhone.

Those three devices were revolutionary and changed how we work, play and communicate. It doesn't matter if your an Apple fan, you don't have to be. But you'd be a fool to not recognize that you don't capture lightning in the bottle more than once by accident.

Lastly, if your life was under a microscope for the world to pick apart like a film, how many asshole moments would you have?

Boobietastles_sl

shitlord
He had vision and not only could he recognize greatness in products and ideas, but he understood what it took to realize it. He made plenty of bad decisions and mistakes. No he didn't 'invent' shit or build shit by himself. People think that its good ideas that make successfully people or defines brilliance. Good, even great ideas are cheap. Work in Silicon Valley long enough and you learn there a tons of brilliant ideas and brilliant people. Whats hard is execution, vision, and leadership. Wozniak is a brilliant engineer. But without someone like Jobs, he wouldn't have had the drive or motivation to build an empire. He was a builder. His focus was building a great 'thing', not trying to build a company. Steve saw beyond the thing and understood what it took to build something larger than the thing in question.

When Steve introduced the iPhone he talked about pivotal products that impact a generation, and how few companies are lucky to introduce one in their lifetime. Apple Introduced three:
The quoted paragraph is just...nonsense. It is pure gibberish. None of it means anything.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Thoughtful critique and insight fromBoobietastles.....
It was not until this very moment that I realized his name isn't Boobietasties. I mean, it didn't ever make sense to me, but at least it would have been spelled right.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Thoughtful critique and insight fromBoobietastles.....
Ipod and iPhone were nothing special when they launched, tons of mp3 players out there before the iPod and a few smart phones that looked and performed exactly like the iphone before it.

Jobs was pure marketing.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
iPhone was plenty special. Touchscreens weren't significant, and now they're everything and we're better off for it. I never cared about iPod, but iTunes was an important milestone in the new music business model, and they're attached at the hip. Marketing is most effective in amplifying the inherent value of a product, and both of your examples had plenty of value.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
iPhone was plenty special. Touchscreens weren't significant, and now they're everything and we're better off for it. I never cared about iPod, but iTunes was an important milestone in the new music business model, and they're attached at the hip. Marketing is most effective in amplifying the inherent value of a product, and both of your examples had plenty of value.
The first iphone was a peice of fucking shit. I had it and it sucked. The att network was fucking slow so most of the functions of using the internet were useless. It had a huge audio jack problem that they never admited. It fucking scuffed and scratched like crazy. No god damn blue tooth cause bullshit battery reasons which of course got solved with the next version! It had a great UI and design and that is about it. Almost forgot the fucking thing didn't like the cold at all and would shut off.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The price point is even ROFL on the fucking iPhone. Nexus 5 (awesome phone) was only like $250.

Jobs made existing tech a little sexier and more appealing. The same thing he did with a lot of apple products. Made them look sleek, sexy and convinced everyone that the UI is "better" in every conceivable way. This is the power of excellent marketing campaigns. He fucked up on some, obviously, but overall he was a very successful marketing guy. I don't know how anyone could possibly think otherwise. Successfully creating a large number of people who only buy apple products for consumer electronics. Which is awesome for Apple.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Liked it. I think they went easy on him overall. Fassbender did a great job, wasn't totally sold on Rogan as Woz. Felt like they didn't really do him justice, but eh...its a movie about Jobs, so not a big deal.

I think they took some liberties with the time line as well.