Stranger Things

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I knew she looked familiar, then I looked her up, and it's all I can see now. She looks like you threw the two of then in a blender.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I watched the entire thing...

Honestly, I would recommend to most people who liked the first season to skip it. Its not that it isn't entertaining, but it certainly isn't fresh anymore and it isn't clever (at all). In fact, I felt kind of bad by the end of it.

In fact, without spoiling anything, I can heartily say that the main plot and the subplot made no sense at all.

I think the main enjoyment is just seeing characters that you came to know in season 1. If you can't infer it, I was not a huge fan of Season 2 either...

Was it bad/awful? Was it good TV? No... So, it's not much more than a way to pass time without sleeping.

My biggest beefs with S3 are the following:
-They made Hopper into a total asshole.
-The plots REALLY make no sense at all (not one bit. None of it).
-They force 80's music (and by the final few episodes ANY music) into every scene! It often adds nothing to the drama. Seriously, the official soundtrack must have 200+ songs. And most, it seemed, are not by the original artists.
-There are so many blatant product placements that it is distracting!
-The novelty and originality is gone and, like S3, it is a much more cruel and sad story overall (without it actually being emotional). It's joyless.

If you enjoyed "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" this show is probably right for you.

• 4Seriously?
  • 3Picard
  • 2EyeRoll
Reactions: 11 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Honestly, I would recommend to most people who liked the first season to skip it. Its not that it isn't entertaining, but it certainly isn't fresh anymore and it isn't clever (at all). In fact, I felt kind of bad by the end of it.

In fact, without spoiling anything, I can heartily say that the main plot and the subplot made no sense at all.

I think the main enjoyment is just seeing characters that you came to know in season 1. If you can't infer it, I was not a huge fan of Season 2 either...

Was it bad/awful? Was it good TV? No... So, it's not much more than a way to pass time without sleeping.

-They force 80's music (and by the final few episodes ANY music) into every scene! It often adds nothing to the drama. Seriously, the official soundtrack must have 200+ songs. And most, it seemed, are not by the original artists.
-The novelty and originality is gone and, like S3, it is a much more cruel and sad story overall (without it actually being emotional). It's joyless.

Show us on the doll where that big bad decade hurt you

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
What I want after this season is for the United States government to just start scooping up these people. You've got this collection of citizens that have been through three major incursions without dying up to and including direct confrontation with extra dimensional Lovecrafting horrors without having their brains ooze out of their ears right along with their sanity. Assets of that quality don't fall out of the sky.

Nancy? FBI agent for sure. Send her to school to get an accounting degree or something and fast track her. Steve? Born leader. He needs some military training. "Select" him for Navy or Army officer candidacy scool. Will can sense when people are under the influence of at least one major horror. That's irreplaceable and his family is poor. Buying his loyalty and grooming him towards a field of public service as an eventual researcher or agent would cost peanuts.

Basically a Hellboy-esque Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense type of organization as they grow older.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished this. It was great, right up there with S1. I agree with everyone else, it's hard to see where they go with the story from here without it simply being another retread 'let's kill the mindflayer'. I think the end of S2 has allowed Eleven to get more confident with her powers, she was much more...violent with how she used them this season. Now that I think about it, the main storyline for S4 is obviously going to be how she regains her power (perhaps to become more powerful than she already is). Erica didn't bother me as much, knew plenty of kids that age that were just as annoying which was the point. The conversation Dustin has with her on why she's a nerd was great. It somewhat bothered me a little that they made Hopper/Joyce comic relief at times. But overall the season was great. El reading Hopper's note in the end was pretty rough but loved how he ended it (just keep the damn door open 3 inches). Anyone who has a daughter shouted a 'hell yes' after that.

Pretty funny how this scene blew up.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
My only problem is that you find a hidden russian secret message, crack it, but don't inform the police/government during the fucking Gorbachev cold war? You find some dudes with AKs and you are like, lets go in! Finally someone calls the government and they show up an hour after it's all done.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>

0 out of 5 points correct

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
They couldn't possibly be singing together and hear each other! Radios don't work that way!

• 2Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its a great show for what it is, great production value, but its still is like a teenie bopper/kids show at it heart. I also think the story is kinda getting weak at this point. So they throw a russian underground base into the mix to make it better? At least they didnt have the super power chick save the world again in this one.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It suffers from the same thing as any sci-fi/fantasy/horror show, the mystery really drives interest, and the more things are revealed the less compelling it gets, at least on that story aspect. Like, I just didn't find the mind flayer interesting this season at all. So they have to compensate in other areas. The kids are pretty good, obviously especially Dustin and Steve. I feel like they did Hopper wrong this season, bad character development bad characterization in general and bad ending.

Not as pumped for Season 4 as I was back when Season 1 was on, for sure. But I did enjoy it for what it is.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its a great show for what it is, great production value, but its still is like a teenie bopper/kids show at it heart. I also think the story is kinda getting weak at this point. So they throw a russian underground base into the mix to make it better? At least they didnt have the super power chick save the world again in this one.

Paul Reiser (I think) in S2 mentions something like 'can you imagine if what we have gets into Russian hands' so all they did way play that up to the extreme. The show really forces you to not take it seriously (especially this last season) and it does it really well. I get the argument about the story and I agree, they are going to have to come up with something completely different. Maybe as a final act get all them trapped in the upside down (which wasn't really featured in this season at all).

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe as a final act get all them trapped in the upside down (which wasn't really featured in this season at all).

that might be exactly what happens. not featuring it this season might have been on purpose, so it'd be out of our minds when everyone gets stuck there next season?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just finished this. It was great, right up there with S1. I agree with everyone else, it's hard to see where they go with the story from here without it simply being another retread 'let's kill the mindflayer'. I think the end of S2 has allowed Eleven to get more confident with her powers, she was much more...violent with how she used them this season. Now that I think about it, the main storyline for S4 is obviously going to be how she regains her power (perhaps to become more powerful than she already is). Erica didn't bother me as much, knew plenty of kids that age that were just as annoying which was the point. The conversation Dustin has with her on why she's a nerd was great. It somewhat bothered me a little that they made Hopper/Joyce comic relief at times. But overall the season was great. El reading Hopper's note in the end was pretty rough but loved how he ended it (just keep the damn door open 3 inches). Anyone who has a daughter shouted a 'hell yes' after that.

Pretty funny how this scene blew up.

I don't care how dumb it was I loved that scene. I was crazy about that movie as a kid.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't care how dumb it was I loved that scene. I was crazy about that movie as a kid.

I agree, what makes it great are all the reactions to them singing. Hopper and then Joyce turning toward the door was classic. I would expect Suzy to show up more in S4.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
They couldn't possibly be singing together and hear each other! Radios don't work that way!

Generally speaking they don’t. The vast majority are simplex and not duplex. They even reinforce that during the conversation prior to the singing where they release the transmit after each message and allow the other to speak. I mean it was supposedly the Cadillac of all HAM radios so maybe. At least 14.158 is a legit frequency as far as I know.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They have been in the upside down all along! The reality they see other wise is actually there realiaty ala the matrix!

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
they should hire D&D as writers and put this trainwreck out of its misery

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Rimshot
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users