Stranger Things

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was my favorite season so far. It was over the top but that was the point. I liked how all the Russians escaped but we have no idea how, probably a tunnel right through the earth.

Two nitpicks - nobody in the 80's wore seatbelts, Nancy telling all the kids to buckle up never would have happened. The ice cream shop at a small town mall would never have had a tip jar in the 80's and if it did, it would have been empty.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
haha absolutely right on both counts. As a child of the 80s I still find the proliferation of tip jars ridiculous. They were nowhere in the 80s.

Caliane

My only problem is that you find a hidden russian secret message, crack it, but don't inform the police/government during the fucking Gorbachev cold war? You find some dudes with AKs and you are like, lets go in! Finally someone calls the government and they show up an hour after it's all done.
yeah, but thats pretty classic 80's teen adventure stuff.

I'd say one of the problems is its not 100% all in on that. It keeps bringing you out, with modern dialogue and sensibilities.
Like, during that scene they are talking about what the Russians were building, or had, and they mention things like chemical weapons and shit. When, no, its the 80's, they'd be all about the Plutonium, nuclear weapons, etc. I was going to say, like, at the beginning of Back to the future. Which, I suppose they didn't actually see yet.. Which itself.. "whats this movie? i dont know". what? teens would have been all about Back to the future. Steve/robin work in an icecream shop. Even if they didnt see the movie, the kids going to the icecream shop would have been going off about it nonstop.

The show has alot of that hipster nostalgia, where it just highlights stuff, points a giant "wasn't x silly,weird", or just a "remember y!", but doesnt really respect or understand the significance of whatever its highlighting.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
"whats this movie? i dont know". what? teens would have been all about Back to the future. Steve/robin work in an icecream shop. Even if they didnt see the movie, the kids going to the icecream shop would have been going off about it nonstop.

they were also super messed up on mind control drugs tho, probably wouldn't have recognized it even if they had seen it before

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
- nobody in the 80's wore seatbelts.

Having been raised in the 80's pretty much identical to the ages of those kids, my parents, and my friends parents, very much insisted on seat belts. While they might not have been as prevalent for use as they are now, they were used. I imagine it depended on the parenting.

I enjoyed season 3 as much as 1 and more than 2. I think people who remember the 80's are the ones who really enjoy the show. It is still a great show without the need to have been around in the 80's but I could understand why those would not identify as easily. Some are complaining about the product placement. The Coke one was the really obvious one. That being said, it really was an issue in the 80's that invoked debate and arguments as to which was better. I actually laughed at that scene remembering that very argument with my friends. Its a nice coincidence that allows the Netflix people to sell it to coke and get some money.

I am a little confused at the "same bad guy" complaint. They have never killed the Mind Flayer. Of course it is going to keep coming back in an attempt to take over our realm. The whole series will revolve around the eventual defeat of the Mind Flayer. Its like watching Star Wars and complaining that the Empire keeps showing up. Everything has been progressive up to this point. Now we get to see how Eleven handles power loss. Is "The American" the Sheriff, her Father or perhaps Dr. Martin Brenner. I think eventually Eleven and the gang will have to travel to the upside down world and confront the Mind Flayer on its turf. I think Eleven's power will elevate to a point that allows her to telekinetically open the passage.

Whatever happens, I eagerly await the story, as it has yet to disappoint. Here is hoping it does not all Game of Thrones and crap out at the end.

Season 1= 9.5
Season 2= 8.5
Season 3 =9.5

I laughed to the point of tears at the whole Never Ending story bit.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I really liked the season as a whole but the song at the end was astronomical levels of cringe.

Which american were the russians holding at the end?

• 2Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
could be one of five people

- modern day Hopper
- time traveling Hopper ala BTF
- El's dad
- Matthew Modine scientist man from season 1
- someone new

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really liked the season as a whole but the song at the end was astronomical levels of cringe.

Which american were the russians holding at the end?

Are you referencing "Heroes" by Peter Gabriel? I thought the song pretty applicable. The instrumentation that Peter Gabriel uses in the song fit the moment fairly well. I guess like most things, it is all subjective.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Just finished last night. Best season of the series for me.

Yeah, the Neverending Story thing could've been cringe, but they had all the other characters react to how ridiculous it was, so that kinda pulled it off for me. And watching the monster in the rear window as they sang was pretty funny.

Side note: they seemed to make the Monster look stop motion at parts. Particularly during the chase. I thought that was pretty cool

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
How did Dustin know about the mall tunnel back-entrance into the theater? He wasn't with the rest of the gang yet when they went to see Day of the Dead in episode 1 and before he left for camp Steve had not yet gotten the job...

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How did Dustin know about the mall tunnel back-entrance into the theater? He wasn't with the rest of the gang yet when they went to see Day of the Dead in episode 1 and before he left for camp Steve had not yet gotten the job...

It was obvious by their demeanor that was something they did a lot. I'm sure Dustin was with them a number of times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yes it seemed like they did it a lot, but Steve is who let them into the tunnels and he didn't have the job at Scoops Ahoy before Dustin left. Hence the 'You got the job!' 'I got the job!' bit right when Dustin comes to see him at work.

spronk

FPS noob
dustins secret girlfriend pre-camp was lady scoops, he is the one that conned steve into the job so his friends could get into the theater while he was at camp. him being away from her for more than 2 weeks turned her into a lesbian. dustin's dick is the true Mind Flayer

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Generally speaking they don’t. The vast majority are simplex and not duplex. They even reinforce that during the conversation prior to the singing where they release the transmit after each message and allow the other to speak. I mean it was supposedly the Cadillac of all HAM radios so maybe. At least 14.158 is a legit frequency as far as I know.

I only briefly fucked around with HAM radios. Isn't there basically like a standard offset for transmit/receive frequencies. Like if he set it to 14.158 they would know to subtract 0.5 or something for the receive (or transmit)? Would that allow them to simultaneously talk or no?

--

I never was licensed. I just bought the Baofeng ham radio and was able to listen in to the weekly talk in my area, and sure I transmitted some curse words for fun while driving :)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Are you referencing "Heroes" by Peter Gabriel? I thought the song pretty applicable. The instrumentation that Peter Gabriel uses in the song fit the moment fairly well. I guess like most things, it is all subjective.

They chopped the song up in the middle some to make it fit the cock-a-doodie scene! If you're going to use a song it's fine to use a clip but you aren't allowed to edit it any further!
Image result for annie wilkes

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Wait, so one person is saying it "Is NOT like season 1" and other people are saying it is?

Which is it because season 1 was pretty damn good. Season 2 was...disappointing. If season 3 is like season 1 then I'm all game but from what it sounds like is a lot of you like season 3 because of nostalgia kicks and not for it's creative writing or story.

The reason I liked season 1 was because it brought back the feeling of watching something from an era where you aren't teased with the ending in every trailer. There was this terrible thing and the kids can't just google search it away, they have to figure the shit out and solve a problem, goonies style (without parents, as much as possible). The writing was on point in so many things and the atmosphere they built was always keeping you interested.

Season 2 felt just like watching a day-time drama. The "Tenseness" was pedantic and the story bland. They turned the girl into a super power person and at that point you kinda know nothing is going to happen, all the drama and "tense" atmosphere is just fluff because you know whats her face is going to come save everyone. I was bored out of my mind at several points in season 2. The fucking episode with the motley crew where they basically take super girl out to do strange shit was the final nail in the coffin. I finished the rest not because I was interested in the plot in the episodes but because I wanted to know if the end was going to pay-off or not.

So, what is it about season 3 that is good? Is the tense atmosphere back from season 1? Is there some gay ass MacGuffin that fucking solves the day?

Because that Neverending story sing along clip made me cringe in a way only watching "the office" and things like "Parks and Rec" usually do. Mind you I watched that movie a ton as a kid.

If it's an entire season of that shit, I'll Pass.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wait, so one person is saying it "Is NOT like season 1" and other people are saying it is?

Which is it because season 1 was pretty damn good. Season 2 was...disappointing. If season 3 is like season 1 then I'm all game but from what it sounds like is a lot of you like season 3 because of nostalgia kicks and not for it's creative writing or story.

The reason I liked season 1 was because it brought back the feeling of watching something from an era where you aren't teased with the ending in every trailer. There was this terrible thing and the kids can't just google search it away, they have to figure the shit out and solve a problem, goonies style (without parents, as much as possible). The writing was on point in so many things and the atmosphere they built was always keeping you interested.

Season 2 felt just like watching a day-time drama. The "Tenseness" was pedantic and the story bland. They turned the girl into a super power person and at that point you kinda know nothing is going to happen, all the drama and "tense" atmosphere is just fluff because you know whats her face is going to come save everyone. I was bored out of my mind at several points in season 2. The fucking episode with the motley crew where they basically take super girl out to do strange shit was the final nail in the coffin. I finished the rest not because I was interested in the plot in the episodes but because I wanted to know if the end was going to pay-off or not.

So, what is it about season 3 that is good? Is the tense atmosphere back from season 1? Is there some gay ass MacGuffin that fucking solves the day?

Because that Neverending story sing along clip made me cringe in a way only watching "the office" and things like "Parks and Rec" usually do. Mind you I watched that movie a ton as a kid.

If it's an entire season of that shit, I'll Pass.

It's not like season one. You can't recapture that.

But it is still very entertaining (overall) and is better than season two. I felt there were a few too many awkward conversations but compared to shit like spending a whole episode with the group of punks we saw in the prologue this season has nowhere near the issues as the previous one. It also moves the story forward which I like. Everything is not just back at the status quo at the end waiting for the next spooky thing to happen.

• 2Like